Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:19 AM

69 posts, read 93,701 times

Advertisements

I hate the idea of putting $1500 a month into nothing, so I'd like to buy a condo. There's a chance I may not be in NYC after another few years, so I'd prefer one over a co-op for better ease of subletting/leasing. I'd be living in it myself in the meantime.

Ideally, I'd like to find something in the $200,000 - $300,000 range. I'm aware I'm not getting anything in Midtown or across the bridge in BK for that price. I'm just wondering why kind of nichey areas there might be that people might suspect might be "up and coming" soon enough. For my own purposes, I'm fine with any location so long as it's within 45 - 60 minutes from Lower Manhattan (work).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:43 AM

147 posts, read 197,716 times
$200-300k won't get you a condo, maybe a co-op.

Unless you willing to settle for a old condo with no tax abatement, deep inside brooklyn.

Buddy bought a condo recently for $400k-ish with 8 yr tax abatement left, its like 1 stop away from stillwell ave (Coney Island)

Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 AM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
Very limited choices for Condo at that price... I think you'd be better off looking at a more liberal co-op... a lot of co-ops will let you rent it out after living in it for a year or two. Since you plan to live in it to begin with, why not go that route? Co-ops are much cheaper and plentiful.

at that price range you're likely looking at queens. and thats not a bad thing.

Or maybe Upper manhattan for a small 1 bedroom.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 AM

275 posts, read 572,192 times
I've been looking at condos just outside of Coney Island, Gravesend I guess. Cheapest I've seen is about 450k. But they mostly all start at 525K for 2 bedroom if they're in walking distance of the subway. Tax abatements and sparkly new, but run of mill. Tbh, the commute to lower Manhattan isn't any worse than if you were on the R out of Bay Ridge. Transfer at Barclay/Atlantic.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymerlot View Post
I've been looking at condos just outside of Coney Island, Gravesend I guess. Cheapest I've seen is about 450k. But they mostly all start at 525K for 2 bedroom if they're in walking distance of the subway. Tax abatements and sparkly new, but run of mill. Tbh, the commute to lower Manhattan isn't any worse than if you were on the R out of Bay Ridge. Transfer at Barclay/Atlantic.
that can get you a penthouse style co-op in much nicer more established queens areas like FH, Sunnyside, JH... with a much shorter commute. or a very nice 1 bed in manhattan.

Unless you absolutely MUST have a condo, co-ops are a much better value in NYC.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM

69 posts, read 93,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
that can get you a penthouse style co-op in much nicer more established queens areas like FH, Sunnyside, JH... with a much shorter commute. or a very nice 1 bed in manhattan.

Unless you absolutely MUST have a condo, co-ops are a much better value in NYC.
Definitely not opposed to a co-op. As long as I'm able to sublet it out/re-sell it at some point, I don't really mind the method of ownership.

Would a broker be able to identify more liberal co-op boards and present me the options or is that something I'd be contacting each establishment about?

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.man View Post
Definitely not opposed to a co-op. As long as I'm able to sublet it out/re-sell it at some point, I don't really mind the method of ownership.

Would a broker be able to identify more liberal co-op boards and present me the options or is that something I'd be contacting each establishment about?

Thanks for the help.
yes a broker can help, you can also just google the building address and sublet policy.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
If you do go for a co op ask your board if subletting is allowed, do they screen subletees and if they charge a subletting fee. I know n my co op they tack on a 15% subletting fee on top of my monthly maintenance.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:45 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Hindsight is always 20/20. $300K was the going rate for studios and some 1 bedroom condos in the then "up and coming" but now "hot" real estate markets of gentrifying BK. This was only 3-5 years ago!

As others have pointed out, a co-op that allows sublets will do just fine. In fact, since they will often interview and screen potential renters, you'll have well vetted and financially sound tenants.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:02 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20. $300K was the going rate for studios and some 1 bedroom condos in the then "up and coming" but now "hot" real estate markets of gentrifying BK. This was only 3-5 years ago!

As others have pointed out, a co-op that allows sublets will do just fine. In fact, since they will often interview and screen potential renters, you'll have well vetted and financially sound tenants.
In 1992 One bedroom apartments in Tudor City in Midtown were $3,500 each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City