Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:33 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,596 times

Advertisements

If these slumlords were told "NO, there is NO reason for you to know how much I have in the bank" by everyone that came they would stop the silliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 04:43 PM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
keep dreaming !.

you want to take possession of my property ? prove you can afford it. we have yet to have any tenant say no .

Old 04-25-2015, 05:15 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Yea try that in NYC...try to have a nice big box to tide you over until you get an attitude adjustment.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
If these slumlords were told "NO, there is NO reason for you to know how much I have in the bank" by everyone that came they would stop the silliness.
I am willing to offer discount for tenants who make my life easier and are easy going (given we can all relate to how expensive renting in NYC can be). If you are going to be a pain through the process and view me as the enemy, I would pass on allowing you to rent my property. Most of the people I know who find good rent rates have a personal relationship with the owner.

Last edited by NYer23; 04-25-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I am willing to offer discount for tenants who make my life easier and are easy going (given we can all relate to how expensive renting in NYC can be). If you are going to be a pain through the process and view me as the enemy, I would pass on allowing you to rent my property. Most of the people I know who find good rent rates have a personal relationship with the owner.
What do you mean by discount? Because I am used to the landlord takingmy money each month regardless if it's on time in addition to will raising the rent.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:57 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
i used to give tenants a 25 dollar rebate if i had the check by the 5th of the month and they were responsible for the firs t 25 bucks in any repair.

they all loved that deal. especially because i would hand them back an actual check in their hand since rarely was any repair needed that the handy man in the building couldn't do for free. .

Old 04-26-2015, 03:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i used to give tenants a 25 dollar rebate if i had the check by the 5th of the month and they were responsible for the firs t 25 bucks in any repair.

they all loved that deal. especially because i would hand them back an actual check in their hand since rarely was any repair needed that the handy man in the building couldn't do for free. .
The only deal I ever received from a landlord since 2000 was "no increase" at the end of the lease.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:51 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
The only deal I ever received from a landlord since 2000 was "no increase" at the end of the lease.
Yeah, that is the discount I get. I saved $200 a month last year compared to the market value (found out when I moved out). I have also gotten offered to rent a friend place for below market value, but you already need an established relationship and reputation for that type of deal.

When I bought my own place, I rented out a section of the house. I won't be raising the rent of the tenant until they have lived their long enough to recoup some of the expense they spent for paying the broker fee. I am not looking to get rich from renting the apartment. If anything I hope the tenant saves money to buy their own place one day.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we want to see one years rent at the least . the less my tenants problems become my problems the better. we want no one living basically hand to mouth.

we do do credit check ,back ground check and 1 years rent on hand. we still get burned by illness-divorce and job loss but the odds are better it won't happen often.

so far only 2x in 27 years.

Let me take a guess here, your tenant turnover is VERY high, do you get ANY that renew their lease when it's up? The only thing you need to know is my income enough to cover your rent ... how much I can save is NONE of your fracking business.
How about if the tenant was willing to pay the entire year up front? You still want to know how much they have saved?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:04 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,489 times
Quote:
Quote:
Let me take a guess here, your tenant turnover is VERY high, do you get ANY that renew their lease when it's up? The only thing you need to know is my income enough to cover your rent ... how much I can save is NONE of your fracking business.
How about if the tenant was willing to pay the entire year up front? You still want to know how much they have saved?
I see you are located in Ohio. We do things a bit differently in the big city.

If a person(s) want's to be considered to rent one of my properties I require the following;

Past years tax return, the entire return, not just the federal cover sheet.
One months pay stubs
3 month bank statements, checking and savings of available funds. IRA's and Investment accounts are nice but people are reluctant to dip in to them in times of need.
A minimum credit score of 700
Past ten years employment history
Past ten years home address
Photo ID (I prefer two if possible)
Copy of SS card
Employment Verification
Full disclosure of all people residing in property. If I'm renting out to a single guy and he moves his Girl friend in it's not an issue, but if he moves in his extended family of 4 people for an unlimited period of time he is in violation of his lease occupant rider and I reserve the right to terminate his lease or raise his rent as I see fit. Last thing i want as a land lord is a safety issue because of to many people living in one unit.

Not unreasonable requirements when renting out a property to a stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City