Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 17,445 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I recently got a job offer with a firm in NY. The job would require me to travel frequently to their offices in Stamford and Jersey City (this office is close to Exchange Place). I looked up the metro and PATH site and see that I can commute to both places if I am close to Grand Central.

What do you think would be an ideal neighborhood to look for an apartment accessible to Grand Central? I can afford max 2000/month and would definitely want it to be a safe place so that I could walk to the subway.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
An interesting and applicable article about reverse commuting from NY to CT:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/re...te&oref=slogin

I would look in Murray Hill for proximity to GCT. You wouldn't need to add to your commute by taking the subway to GCT and it is a very safe hood. $2k would get you a studio or maybe a VERY no frills 1br.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
You have a number of options. If you are interested primarily in Manhattan you should look at anything along the 4/5/6 trains on the east side. If you are willing to have roommates you will be fine. If you want to live alone you can get a studio for about that price in most areas. Something by the express stops (4/5) such as Union Sq., Grand Central itself, 59 St, 86 St, etc. would be a bit easier (no transfer) for getting you to Fulton St., where you could get the PATH at WTC and it's one stop to Exchange Pl. That would leave the Upper East Side, Murray Hill/East Midtown, Union Sq. area. All of those areas are safe but the vibe is different so it's a question of preference. The UES has Central Park and may have better housing deals, but it's farther from downtown for your PATH transfer.

Other, more affordable, possibilities are in Queens along the 7 line, which goes to Grand Central, farther up the 4/5/6 in East Harlem or the Bronx, or along the 4 into Brooklyn. The 7 train areas would require switching to the 4/5 at Grand Central on days when you need the PATH.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 17,445 times
Thank you for the detailed reply. Based on your suggestions, I am going to focus on UES, Murray Hill and Union Sq. I will also look at Astoria and Jackson Heights though it will be a bit further away from downtown.

At the moment I am going through listings at craigslist and rent-direct. Do you think I need to contact a realtor too?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj31 View Post
Thank you for the detailed reply. Based on your suggestions, I am going to focus on UES, Murray Hill and Union Sq. I will also look at Astoria and Jackson Heights though it will be a bit further away from downtown.

At the moment I am going through listings at craigslist and rent-direct. Do you think I need to contact a realtor too?
An unfortunate fact of NY living is that you will most likely need to pay a brokers fee in Manhattan and many "close in" borough neighborhoods. This is usually 15% of your years rent in Manhattan and may be more like 10-12% in Brooklyn. Either way you are looking at a substantial chunk of change just for someone to hand you a set of keys.

For convenience I still think Murray Hill would be ideal. It is also probably the most expensive of the suggestions although still doable for $2k/month.

check out craigslist for apts. Also check out some of the bigger brokers like Citi Habitats and Manhattan Apts.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,344 times
Hello, I'm looking at commuting from 170th Street/Washington Heights area in Manhattan to Stamford, CT and I would be leaving around 7:15 a.m. in the morning and coming back at 6:00 p.m. at night. Looks like taking public transportation would be over 1 hour, 20 min to get there. How long do you think it would take by car....either 95 or Hutchinson Parkway?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default best most pleasant route

might be H Hudson Pkwy N to Saw Mill to Cross County Pkwy E to Hutch North to either (depending where in Stamford you will be working) the Merritt or I 287 to I 95 north

taking the Cross Bronx to the NE Thruway could be sluggish and you have a toll in New Rochelle

170th street to Stamford is about 30 miles

Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
BJ,

You have two issues. If your commute is going to be more often to Excahnge Place, your ideal location is NOT Grand Central but rather the West Side, as close to Sixth Ave as possible and South of 34th St. These neighborhoods are Greenwich Village, Chelsea, the Meat Market. For the Southern PATH link, the Financial District is also most conventient (6 minuted RATH from WTC to Exchange Place,) Herald Square, Southern Tribeca.

For Stamford, Yes, Grand Central is ideal, but not the best neighborhood to find and enjoy housing.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
An Hr? It only took me 45 mins on a Metro North Express from GCT to Stamford , you can pick that up at Harlem-125th Street. The Cross Bronx sometimes takes an hr to get through....and congestion in CT is getting bad lately. Is there any reason you can't live in Stamford? Its a nice city....like a mini Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City