Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
We should be doing this. We also need to slaughter some of the political sacred cows to drive the cost of these projects down.
This. I'm glad de Blasio is proposing expansion. The MTA capital budget is currently being deal with in Albany. Metro North expansion has already been funded (Metro North to Penn Station). Now Second Avenue Subway phases 2-4 need to be funded (they are in the MTA capital budget but that needs to be fully funded).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 01:11 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
who are we kidding, none of this is ever going to happen in our lifetimes.
the 2nd ave subway caost 4 times as much and is still not done.

they have also been working on the gowanus expresway for decades and that will never get done.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidebk View Post
I believe Utica Ave needs a subway line. It will alleviate the congestion on the B/Q and 2/5.
You can make that same case for so many other avenues and subway lines that are even more congested. This would probably just end up making the 2/5 more congested for those already using these llines.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:26 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
We also need to slaughter some of the political sacred cows to drive the cost of these projects down.
Yeah, god forbid some taxpaying union construction working family man should make a middle class wage doing dirty, dangerous work for the good of the city.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You can make that same case for so many other avenues and subway lines that are even more congested. This would probably just end up making the 2/5 more congested for those already using these llines.
The Utica ave bus line is the busiest non-SBS bus corridor in NYC, with an annual ridership of 15 million people. No bus in Queens even comes close to that. They were supposed to build a subway there back in 1929... The next busiest route is the b6 in Brooklyn, which is basically the Triboro RX Brooklyn segment.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:02 PM

^ So you think the lone B46 down Utica ave is busier than the Q11, Q21, Q52, Q53, BM5, QM15, QM16 and QM17 that run up and down Woodhaven blvd? What about the multiple buses running up and down Northern Blvd? Same for the multiple buses running up and down Main st, Grand ave, etc... There is only one bus route down Utica ave, of couse its stats will appear inflated.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:28 PM

^^ What about all the different buses running on Merrick blvd? Or Guy Brewer blvd? Break the B46 up into 4 different bus routes and see if it still compares.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:12 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
^^ What about all the different buses running on Merrick blvd? Or Guy Brewer blvd? Break the B46 up into 4 different bus routes and see if it still compares.
Believe it or not the busiest bus line in Queens is one both me and you are very familiar with, and that's the Q58.

It's the only Queens bus line that is listed in the top ten busiest bus lines in the city. Has an annual ridership of around 9-10 million.

However, I'm sure if you combined all the Woodhaven/Cross Bay Blvd bus lines all together ( Q11,21,52,53 ) it would surpass that.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:40 PM

415 posts, read 514,200 times
NYC doesn't want subways, at least the elevated kind. We went to great lengths to get rid of 'em. My pops was partly (or, mainly) responsible for the removal of all the el's.

My mother wrote her doctoral thesis on how the removal of the 3rd avenue el destroyed the central and South Bronx.

I love my mommy more than the world but we argue like mad dogs over this issue. My claim is that the dopey liberal Great Society coupled with the mass building of human habitrails (((projects))) destroyed the Bronx by importing southern poverty and half the third world but she differs with my opinion.

My mom is an Ivy League valedictorian so maybe she knows more than me?

I still say the importation of third world'ers will be the ruination of the entire nation. I'm right, she's wrong.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
^ So you think the lone B46 down Utica ave is busier than the Q11, Q21, Q52, Q53, BM5, QM15, QM16 and QM17 that run up and down Woodhaven blvd? What about the multiple buses running up and down Northern Blvd? Same for the multiple buses running up and down Main st, Grand ave, etc... There is only one bus route down Utica ave, of couse its stats will appear inflated.
Yes. All except the Q53 have very small ridership, you can go through the numbers here. The express buses have very small ridership, their totals don't amount to much:

mta.info | Facts and Figures

Not doing the other ones. If you're going to pick one subway route in the boroughs, Utica Ave looks like the best choice. There's only one bus on Northern Blvd west of Flushing, the Q66. The Q66 gets less than a third of the bus ridership of the B46. Part of the difference might be is Manhattan bound riders might take another bus to transfer to the subway, while Manhattan bound riders near the B46 will take the B46. The Utica Ave subway has been mentioned on various transit sites such as this one:

https://pedestrianobservations.wordp...nsit-projects/

cost would be less than the second ave subway per mile; there's less stuff in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City