Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootenSims View Post
Hello,

Long-time lurker here, and I am considering moving to 930 Grand Concourse, with my girlfriend (both white, not from large cities, FWIW as factors), and would appreciate anyone's perspective on the building or the area itself.

I have searched through and thoroughly exhausted many of the old Grand Concourse threads (as far back as 2008, though I don't know how much has changed in 8 years ). Though I have seen a lot of talk about 800, 860, and 1020 Grand Concourse, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or opinion about 930 Grand Concourse or the buildings immediately surrounding it. It is not a co-op but it is just across from Joyce-Kilmer park and not too far from 1020.
The buildings that hug around Joyce Kilmer Park are alright. I don't think moving you moving there with your girlfriend and being white should not be an issue especially since their is a small but growing white prescence in the area looking for affordable spacious dwellings. My big concern are the side streets east of the Concourse such as Sheridan and Sherman as well as the areas North of 167 street which are extremely hood or ghetto. The are around Joyce Kilmer Park also have plenty of working professionals many of which who are minorities of color. You should be alright, and the D and B train should provide you quick access 30 minutes top to Midtown Manhattan during rush hour. Their is nothing grand about the Grand Concourse but some buildings along Joyce Kilmer Park are pretty modest at best. Just avoid the side streets east of the Concourse and areas North of 167 street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:14 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBx View Post
Yes, it's a factor. Anyone telling you different isn't being honest or just don't know whats up.

As to the location. Lots of traffic around that area which means its safe during the day. You got the courthouse, so you and your girlfriend won't be the only white people mon-friday. You would be ok walking around the concourse during the day because its so busy. Its like Fordahm rd, and any other main drags, they are fine it's when you start walking down smaller side streets you run into trouble.

At night, and on weekends, you will most definitely stand out.

The area is rough, especially at night. You can't walk around like its greenpoint, williamsburg, the village, or wherever.

I would definitely not walk around the neighborhood at night. The smaller sidestreets can be risky even during the day depending.

You got a big shopping center real close. The concourse plaza. That's a big plus. You can easily walk for groceries. Other than that you'd probably be heading into Manhattan for restaurants and bars. Not much in the area besides fast food.

the 4 and the D are close.

If neither of you have lived outside of Manhattan or hipster brooklyn, or wherever, then it will be a shock. Make sure to visit the area on a weekend and see for yourself.

You might also want to look at: Riverdale, Kingsbridge around the L, Woodlawn, Morris Park-Pehlem-CC. There all going to have worse commutes but the locations are much safer and there are more restaurants/bars locally. Basically no nightlife in the concourse you would take part in.

That is the most suspect spelling of pelham ive ever seen. go back to kentucky

Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Yes, it's a factor. Anyone telling you different isn't being honest or just don't know whats up.

As to the location. Lots of traffic around that area which means its safe during the day. You got the courthouse, so you and your girlfriend won't be the only white people mon-friday. You would be ok walking around the concourse during the day because its so busy. Its like Fordahm rd, and any other main drags, they are fine it's when you start walking down smaller side streets you run into trouble.

At night, and on weekends, you will most definitely stand out.

The area is rough, especially at night. You can't walk around like its greenpoint, williamsburg, the village, or wherever.

I would definitely not walk around the neighborhood at night. The smaller sidestreets can be risky even during the day depending.

You got a big shopping center real close. The concourse plaza. That's a big plus. You can easily walk for groceries. Other than that you'd probably be heading into Manhattan for restaurants and bars. Not much in the area besides fast food.

the 4 and the D are close.

If neither of you have lived outside of Manhattan or hipster brooklyn, or wherever, then it will be a shock. Make sure to visit the area on a weekend and see for yourself.

You might also want to look at: Riverdale, Kingsbridge around the L, Woodlawn, Morris Park-Pehlem-CC. There all going to have worse commutes but the locations are much safer and there are more restaurants/bars locally. Basically no nightlife in the concourse you would take part in.
The area is not rough at night. I've lived here for several years now and I come and go at all hours. Coming home at 3am leaving at 5am, ect.
I don't view my self standing out but in reality I'm sure I do some what. No body has ever given me issues and I haven't felt unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
This is a bunch of crap. Would someone who actually lives in the neighborhood chime in. You can search the NY Times for articles about this area. they have written several in the past year that have been fairly upbeat. I would trust those over the advice of a troll on a blog. One thing he/she said is true, take a walk around the neighborhood yourself. I have many times and think it is great.
I agree. I am someone who lives here, OP please feel free to PM me any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The buildings that hug around Joyce Kilmer Park are alright. I don't think moving you moving there with your girlfriend and being white should not be an issue especially since their is a small but growing white prescence in the area looking for affordable spacious dwellings. My big concern are the side streets east of the Concourse such as Sheridan and Sherman as well as the areas North of 167 street which are extremely hood or ghetto. The are around Joyce Kilmer Park also have plenty of working professionals many of which who are minorities of color. You should be alright, and the D and B train should provide you quick access 30 minutes top to Midtown Manhattan during rush hour. Their is nothing grand about the Grand Concourse but some buildings along Joyce Kilmer Park are pretty modest at best. Just avoid the side streets east of the Concourse and areas North of 167 street.
While it's true there is not much to do in the neighborhood. You do have a gym, massive grocery store, Target shopping plaza, Banks, deli's and fast food joints in walking distance. During baseball season there are numerous bars open around the stadium.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 18,821 times
funny . So the Times said some nice things? They been talking up Hunts Point for years. still wouldnt tell people to live there.

just like Bedford Park was ok in the 80s but now its not great, wouldn't walk those side streets at night. You want to disagree, fine, but these places are not the safe places in the Bronx. Its different for someone who grew up here than for someone who comes here from Idaho or whereever.

anyway, ive been in the area for 20 plus years. Day and night and what I said is on point. Concourse is fine, side streets are not. Especially at night. Guy up top has it right.

the area is certainly rough unless your keeping yourself to a small circle in the area and dont move around the place especially at night. Is it the roughest, no but it is still rough.

just be honest. wheres it more likelt someones gonna get robbed? riverdale ave/katonah/morris park or sherman/morris ave/concourse?

Where would you rather walk at 3 am if you were a young woman? You want to wander around that area late at night your putting yourself at risk. area is fine if you know exactly where NOT to go and when not.

hard rock, some smaller places, one big shopping center. close to trains. mostly fast food joints and the domincan restaurant up a ways. Better than some ares, but not the best.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:21 PM

503 posts, read 898,625 times
Don't make threads, just go by what a newspaper with absolutely no reason to have an agenda says, about a neighborhood.

The positives are easy transport to Midtown. Spacious apartments. Family oriented (if you care about that). On the Concourse itself, you won't have a problem. Some people on here aren't talking out of their ass when they tell you that you'd have to turn your cheek on several things.

I'll spare you my personal experience in the area and subjective lecture. I'm positive you have no need for anything that is not upbeat.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WootenSims View Post
Hello,

Long-time lurker here, and I am considering moving to 930 Grand Concourse, with my girlfriend (both white, not from large cities, FWIW as factors), and would appreciate anyone's perspective on the building or the area itself.

I have searched through and thoroughly exhausted many of the old Grand Concourse threads (as far back as 2008, though I don't know how much has changed in 8 years ). Though I have seen a lot of talk about 800, 860, and 1020 Grand Concourse, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or opinion about 930 Grand Concourse or the buildings immediately surrounding it. It is not a co-op but it is just across from Joyce-Kilmer park and not too far from 1020.
I wouldn't do the 930 building. Look into the executive towers which is the 1020 building

Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
IMO, this is a very decent area on the Concourse. 930 GC is on the corner of 163rd on the north-bound side. My brother lives literally around the corner from that building on 163rd between Grand Concourse and Sheridan. The Concourse around this area is pretty safe. Honestly, the further away from the Concourse you go, the more sketchy the area looks. There is a big difference between 163rd and GC when compared to 163rd and Sheridan. That's only a block down. My brother hasn't had any issues there except for parking. He complains about parking all the time, but I don't know if this will be an issue for you. Aside from the issues with the landlord that were pointed out in a previous post, I think this is a good place. I grew up in the Bronx my whole life, on 171st and GC, still have family and friends there, and I wouldn't mind living on 163rd and GC if I was still residing in the Bronx.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:14 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
funny . So the Times said some nice things? They been talking up Hunts Point for years. still wouldnt tell people to live there.

just like Bedford Park was ok in the 80s but now its not great, wouldn't walk those side streets at night. You want to disagree, fine, but these places are not the safe places in the Bronx. Its different for someone who grew up here than for someone who comes here from Idaho or whereever.

anyway, ive been in the area for 20 plus years. Day and night and what I said is on point. Concourse is fine, side streets are not. Especially at night. Guy up top has it right.

the area is certainly rough unless your keeping yourself to a small circle in the area and dont move around the place especially at night. Is it the roughest, no but it is still rough.

just be honest. wheres it more likelt someones gonna get robbed? riverdale ave/katonah/morris park or sherman/morris ave/concourse?

Where would you rather walk at 3 am if you were a young woman? You want to wander around that area late at night your putting yourself at risk. area is fine if you know exactly where NOT to go and when not.

hard rock, some smaller places, one big shopping center. close to trains. mostly fast food joints and the domincan restaurant up a ways. Better than some ares, but not the best.
For someone who's been in "the area" for 20+ years, May I ask in what capacity? Live or work and is that area the Concourse near 161st St, Bedford Park, or Hunts Point? I have to question whether to value what you say over what newspapers and residents like livingsingle are saying. Also, if the areas you mention are truly safer, you need to back it up with facts. Why did you compare white neighborhoods to minority ones? Is it based on perception or crime statistics? You are probably more likely to be robbed in midtown.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:16 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:

For someone who's been in "the area" for 20+ years, May I ask in what capacity? Live or work and is that area the Concourse near 161st St, Bedford Park, or Hunts Point? I have to question whether to value what you say over what newspapers and residents like livingsingle are saying. Also, if the areas you mention are truly safer, you need to back it up with facts. Why the comparison between white neighborhoods and minority ones? Is it based on perception or crime statistics? One is probably more likely to be robbed in midtown based on the crime statistics.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:08 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
One is probably more likely to be robbed in midtown based on the crime statistics.
Really? I find that doubtful. And if you do happen to get robbed in Midtown Manhattan, good chance the perp is from the South Bronx (or Harlem or Central/North Brooklyn).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City