Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,449 times

Advertisements

i am living in nycha in the bronx. i have a 3 bedroom apartment because the apartment use to belong to my mom sister and me. i know that nycha says its a requirement to move into a smaller apartment with 1 bedroom because i live here alone now as the lease holder. but i am hiv postive and not in the best of health i also suffer from agoraphobia which is a mental disorder associated with social anxiety. i have 2 problems now. 1- housing has took it upon themselves to pick and apartment for me in another building, they claim to have sent me the forms to fill out for a transfer and pick my apartment(which i never received) had i received these papers i would have picked my building because i feel safe here. i would not feel safe moving to any other building around here.
2-the second problem is that even if they give me an apartment in the building im in now, i have no friends or family to help me move all my stuff, i myself am 6'1 and only weigh about 125. so i cant move much on my own. so i feel stuck.

i receive hasa. its pretty much public assistance for people living with hiv. they pay the rent here. hasa offers 2 emergency options either a credit for new furniture or credit for help moving to an apartment. you can only use one of the 2 options and its a one time thing to the best of my knowledge.
i used the one time credit for furniture since i was already a tenant in the apartment when i took over the lease back on 2005. i did not need a moving credit.
i am looking into case management for people in my situation and seeing about getting info from lawyers who help people in my situation. i feel like i don't know all my rights and want to make sure that i am treated like a person and not as just another account number on the housing tenant log. i know that housing probably does not care about my situation. they just want me out and in a smaller apartment but im not going to let them put my physical and mental state in a worse situation by moving me wherever they want and where i would not feel safe or comfortable.

if anyone out there has been in a situation like this or is educated on this matter please post away, i need all the input i can get on what i am dealing with and what my options are cause i know housing will not bother to tell me all that i have rights to, they just want me out, i know thats there only concern so would not bother asking them directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 11:54 AM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
at the risk of sounding insensitive, I think you're being selfish and entitled.

There is a huge housing problem in NYC, and there is no way to justify a single person occupying a 3 bedroom apt when there are many families in dire need and that unit can be used to house a family of 6 or 7.

You only have to move once, suck it up, pace yourself and realize that there are families in need that have been on waiting lists for these apt's for years. I'm sure you can find someone or a local church to help you move.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:32 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,030 times
Your lucky that nycha is putting up with your crap the shelter system will take you in with or without HIV. For as long as HIV has been around is no big deal there are shelter for sickly and also for the mentally I'll.
And you don't want to have to go there be thankful for what you have or for what nycha is going to give you good luck.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:30 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
I'm sorry to hear about your health. However I feel you need to realize just how lucky you are that you have a place to live and that it is being paid for. I understand it can be emotional and mentally difficult to adjust being moved when you are comfortable in an apt and feel its your home. However it isn't your home, you don't own it. Therefore you have no right to it.
Perhaps if you adjust your thought to thinking by you moving to a smaller apt, you will be proving a large family (that may have been homeless or living in a shelter) with a apartment.
As far as moving, don't stress the situation. Look up resources that can help you move. There has to be organizations or a community with people with aids that can help you find some assistance.
As far as it being a being an emotional issue, again change your thought process. Think of it as a good thing, that you are helping people out by your move. Think of all the help you have received over the years and now you are giving back.
Getting help is great but giving it is even better.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:28 AM

147 posts, read 197,716 times
If they move you to a studio apartment would that help with the agoraphobia? since studios are one big room, with high ceiling.

Many people I know, mostly the older ones, are used to living in a large homes and can't accept living smaller place, so I could be just that too.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 AM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
I mean OP, what are you really suggesting as a resolution? That you, as a single person should be entitled to keep a 3 bedroom apt and a family of 6 or 7 should just have to keep waiting because you're afraid of moving?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:18 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
People are being judgmental whilst not listening to what the OP is saying. apartment wasn't originally his. Yes, you should either A move out, and find something more suitable, or B. let NYCHA handle that for you, and get placed wherever they see fit. NYCHA has a legal right to force you to move because you are now 1 person in a 3 bedroom apartment. You should be looking for a studio or a 1 bdrm apartment

Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jortiz1980 View Post

i receive hasa. its pretty much public assistance for people living with hiv. they pay the rent here. hasa offers 2 emergency options either a credit for new furniture or credit for help moving to an apartment. you can only use one of the 2 options and its a one time thing to the best of my knowledge.
If you have HASA already, then don't you have a caseworker? Have you called HASA to explain your situation and ask if they have suggestions or resources to help you move?

It's too bad for you in your situation that you have to move, but almost everyone in NY except the rich are living with compromises in their living situations that they would not have chosen for themselves. So follow the instructions, move, and be glad you had a big apartment for free all those years.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,449 times
i have spoken to hasa and i am taking the smaller apartment. it is a requirement and based on some of the stuff i see in response to my post. i feel like i have gotten good feedback. a studio would not be good for me but the one bedroom will be ok. i just need to see it as a positive move, something new, keep taking my medication and i would not want to jeopardizes my lease. i know that nycha will only give you 1 or 2 chances to move and things have changed over the years. you cant pick where you want to go anymore according to the housing assistant and since they are the ones who need me to move hasa is going to help me with the moving. i was lucky enough to be placed in a building that is only 2 blocks away so some of my belongings i will be able to take myself and the heavy stuff the movers will take care of. this is the first time that i am moving into a new place without family involved so even though im an adult i did not really know what was available to me for assistance or what i could do to get help. i was panicking from my anxiety and wrote this thread before i even had a chance to talk to my case worker. moving can be scary yeah but that and stress always come with moving. i just need to let myself stay in a positive state of mind, hope for the best and i am helping myself by taking the apartment and ignoring my mental issues. someone said in a post to suck it up. lol sounds harsh but once i started to suck it up and calm down things started to feel better. and now at least one family who is in need will eventually get an apartment for them and there family once i move. im not a selfish person, never have been. i think its nice to know that though i will never know this family i know that there will be a family with one less problem to worry about. i did have to think about myself first and make sure i was going to be ok and not loss all my belongings and i have 20 years of memory's here but im not saying bye to my family memory's its just and apartment. i will make new memory's in my new home. i feel like being here without my mom and my sister and having all these good memory's is actually not a good thing for me mentally. the memory's are here but there out living new life's and building new roots so it can be depressing to think so much about it all knowing there not here in ny or home with me anymore. were still close though. nothing will ever change that. i thank you guys for those of you who responded to the thread all of you helped with your responses in one way or another.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:15 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,030 times
Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: