Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times

Advertisements

I like it because there is something for everybody here and lots of work/career options and opportunities that don't really exist in other cities. And socializing is second to none. You can some serious connections or if nothing else just meet a lot interesting people.

I won't complain about cost of living or housing prices...that is just a given in a global level city and if I don't like that I'm free to come and go as it suits me, but what I don't like however is all the games that get played with subsidies and government handouts vis-a-vis the housing market. Rent control, rent stabilization, Mitchell Lama, etc. Then on the high end you get these hoardes of wealthy expats that suck up investment properties and help create further artificial scarcity by using NYC real estate as another one of their personal investment vehicles with no intention of ever using it as a primary residence (and thus contributing to the local economy or taking any stake in the neighborhood). Not saying you shouldn't be allowed to do that, but they should tax that heavily to discourage it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Chicago is a major domestic city and not a global city. chicago is closer to becoming the next Detroit than they are of being NYC. It is delusional to think chicago would ever surpass NYC given it geography (middle of nowhere). Only reason to live in Chicago would be for global warming.

it's laughable that you would even suggest that Chicago is not a global city…which, by every standard it is. then the insanity of calling Chicago "the next Detroit." Your ignorance is staggering as is your incredible smugness.

does Detroit scare me, NYer? Damned right it does. Detroit is the canary in the coal mine that spells what's wrong with the US today and much of the ills that are Detroit threaten the very existence of places like New York, Chicago, San Francisco.

NYC was never so great a city as when blue collar Detroit was pumping out cars with well paying jobs. If you are really delusional enough to think that NYC can go on being your vaunted "king of the hill, top of the heap" when America is falling apart at the seams, be my guest. NYC's true rise in the first half of the 20th century paralleled that of our nation and its rise. now that nation is in decline. and, by the way, nothing does stay on top….NYC may be having its day, but that's just it…a day. It too shall pass. A century ago today, a blink of the eye in terms of a time span, nobody would have called NYC one of the world's great cities. who's the say that in 100 from now, that can't be said again. Change is constant, rise and flow. and what I say about NYC is easily the same as for Chicago. we're no different.

Your New York and my Chicago will get the crap knocked out of them in this new world where China and the Far East, Europe, and much of the rest of the advanced world, upgrades their infrastructure, invests in education, doesn't have the class distrubiton of banana republic, and doesn't spend its wealth…down the drain…on the military. NYC's and Chicago's subways, airports, etc., look almost third world in comparison to cities in Europe and the Far East. we're an embarrassment.

So, unlike you, when I see New Orleans literally washed away, St. Louis torn apart by race, as Baltimore is today, and a truly great city like Detroit go down the tubes, I'm well aware that my nation is in deep, deep trouble…and we are all affected.

"Only reason to live in Chicago would be for global warming."….gee, NYer, to who? not to me and millions of Chicagoans who can think of endless reasons to live here and love it (and we do)….just as I am sure that are millions who feel the same about living in NYC.

in other words….I think your city, NYC….just like places like Boston, Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago…you know, the great American cities….is a wonderful place. even if you don't feel the same about mine.

Last edited by edsg25; 04-28-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 05:20 PM

781 posts, read 744,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
I love that you get to pay 3 income taxes (Federal, State, AND NYC). I also love the 2-tiered rental market where market-rate tenants pay big increases each year and have to listen to regulated tenants whining about 1 or 2% increases. The housing projects are wonderful. And don't forget all the multi-million dollar condos being built for foreigners to park their money and which sit vacant most of the year.
Great post! I miss sarcastic New Yorkers a lot.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Chicago is a major domestic city and not a global city. chicago is closer to becoming the next Detroit than they are of being NYC. It is delusional to think chicago would ever surpass NYC given it geography (middle of nowhere). Only reason to live in Chicago would be for global warming.
According to GaWC, Chicago (Alpha) is closer to NYC (Alpha++) then Detroit (Beta -).

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2012

I don't think it would change too much in 3 years.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
So, unlike you, when I see New Orleans literally washed away, St. Louis torn apart by race, as Baltimore is today, and a truly great city like Detroit go down the tubes, I'm well aware that my nation is in deep, deep trouble…and we are all affected.
Absolutely brother. Keep your powder dry because it is coming. I've been preparing for a long time.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:04 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
I love it. The best city the US has to offer.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:18 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
it's laughable that you would even suggest that Chicago is not a global city…which, by every standard it is. then the insanity of calling Chicago "the next Detroit." Your ignorance is staggering as is your incredible smugness.

does Detroit scare me, NYer? Damned right it does. Detroit is the canary in the coal mine that spells what's wrong with the US today and much of the ills that are Detroit threaten the very existence of places like New York, Chicago, San Francisco.

NYC was never so great a city as when blue collar Detroit was pumping out cars with well paying jobs. If you are really delusional enough to think that NYC can go on being your vaunted "king of the hill, top of the heap" when America is falling apart at the seams, be my guest. NYC's true rise in the first half of the 20th century paralleled that of our nation and its rise. now that nation is in decline. and, by the way, nothing does stay on top….NYC may be having its day, but that's just it…a day. It too shall pass. A century ago today, a blink of the eye in terms of a time span, nobody would have called NYC one of the world's great cities. who's the say that in 100 from now, that can't be said again. Change is constant, rise and flow. and what I say about NYC is easily the same as for Chicago. we're no different.

Your New York and my Chicago will get the crap knocked out of them in this new world where China and the Far East, Europe, and much of the rest of the advanced world, upgrades their infrastructure, invests in education, doesn't have the class distrubiton of banana republic, and doesn't spend its wealth…down the drain…on the military. NYC's and Chicago's subways, airports, etc., look almost third world in comparison to cities in Europe and the Far East. we're an embarrassment.

"Only reason to live in Chicago would be for global warming."….gee, NYer, to who? not to me and millions of Chicagoans who can think of endless reasons to live here and love it (and we do)….just as I am sure that are millions who feel the same about living in NYC.

in other words….I think your city, NYC….just like places like Boston, Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago…you know, the great American cities….is a wonderful place. even if you don't feel the same about mine.
Some posters on here believe and assume NYC is untouchable or immune from the rest of the countries problems.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:07 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Some posters on here believe and assume NYC is untouchable or immune from the rest of the countries problems.
but the intelligent ones….of which there are many (like you)….realize that isn't the case. let's face it, Bronx: there are so many of us Americans who believe our nation is "exceptional" and no other place can touch us. the same sick hubris plays out in both cases.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:17 AM

861 posts, read 852,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I hear so many people complaining about prices, politics, people and general living issues where are all the actually New York Lovers?
I for one love new york.. The sheer energy of the place is largely second to none. It is expensive, but what great city isn't?

Old 04-29-2015, 04:20 AM

159 posts, read 177,503 times
I resist the urge to strangle someone whenever a transplant says they love the city "because they loove energy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City