U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM

15 posts, read 42,840 times

Advertisements

Good evening, I am a 25 y/o male NYC Bronx teacher who's been renting out a room in Norwood for the past two years. I love Norwood because of how safe I have felt there, but I decided that I want to move into a new area due wanting to live on my own and finding an area with more amenities. I've been looking into Kingsbridge Heights and found a 1 bedroom Apartment on Bailey Ave for 1100. It seems like its an up-and-coming area. There is a Target and Starbucks on 225th and another Starbucks and Chiptole and a lot of local bars around 231st close to the building. Since I work in the Bronx I don't want to leave the Bronx and my max is around 1100. Is this a good area? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 PM

6,095 posts, read 6,297,794 times
It is an okay area, but I dont believe you can get to other parts of the Bronx easily from there. The #1 train goes to Manhattan.

But it is an economically vibrant place. There is a good pizza place on 225th and Broadway called Arturos. It is really good pizza.

The area is up and coming. There is a BJ wholesale club and Buffalo wild wings. The riverdale diner is really good.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 PM

Thanks. I'm happy to hear that. How is the bar scene in the area? Is there anything I should know before considering to move in the area?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 PM

7 posts, read 11,561 times
Bailey from Van Cort South all the way down to 230 is safe. Gets a little sketchy further down.

Broadway from 225--238th is real safe. Thats the main drag. Lots of shopping. Garden Gourmet plus Stop Shop, Pioneer on 231. Cold cut city 231. lots of other stuff.

Bars: Pipers on 231 has been around forever, mix crowd..some MC students along with older. Irish Bar across the street from it. Bronx Ale House probably has the youngest crowd--20's and 30's often. Thats 238th, crowds not just locals. All the other bars in the area are older locals. Sports bar north up past 242 across from the park. Forget the name but it also has a younger crowd.

Theres a latin club restaurant in the Staples lot.

Sit down steak house up near 242. Supposed to be another place on 238. Otherwise, Riverdale has restaurants up on Johnson ave area.

Cabbies always on 231.

Target 225th , TJ Max center 230th, BJs near 238th. Planet Fitness 225th, Van Cortland Park.

Easy to get to Inwood as well.

If you found Norwood safe, then you would definitely find the area safe.

Broadway north of 230th shouldn't be a problem no matter what time of day. Bailey a bit less safe real early morning (1-4) because theres less foot traffic. Streets like Heath and Kingsbridge terrace I wouldn't walk around in the middle of the night, but no reason to go there if your on Bailey. Basically everything is on Broadway or 231/238.

Last edited by InTheBx; 04-26-2015 at 10:11 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 04:46 AM

I'll be living at 3300 Bailey. It's past the P&K Grille on 231st and about three blocks from the train station. So would you recommend I don't walk around that block too late at night?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:09 AM

6,095 posts, read 6,297,794 times
Not only that, but you can go south of the bridge along Broadway, into Inwood and there is a lot of nice restaurants there too.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,455,113 times
Bailey is OK even at nite but what you have to be careful about is the "heights"--the hilly streets going up to the reservoir, late at night. K'bridge Terrace, Heath Ave, Ft Independence St, a little on the sketchy deserted side

Old 04-27-2015, 10:22 PM

624 posts, read 750,222 times
Some nice restaunts in Inwood. Check out 207th street.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:16 PM

7 posts, read 11,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33eazy View Post
I'll be living at 3300 Bailey. It's past the P&K Grille on 231st and about three blocks from the train station. So would you recommend I don't walk around that block too late at night?

Walking from the train to that section, coming up 231 shouldn't be a problem.

Only issue on Bailey north of 230th is the stretch from 234 around the projects and up to 238. Late night, talking like 1-4, its desolate.Once you get to the park theres one small apartment, then the motel, then a bunch of stores that aint open at night. Other side of the street is fenced off from the degan so nothing there. I wouldnt make a habit of walking that stretch real late. During the day its fine, evening too, but overnight I'd steer around it.

you can read the Riverdale Press online. They cover kingsbridge heights. they list local crime so you get a sense of the area.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 AM

576 posts, read 503,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBx View Post
Walking from the train to that section, coming up 231 shouldn't be a problem.

Only issue on Bailey north of 230th is the stretch from 234 around the projects and up to 238. Late night, talking like 1-4, its desolate.Once you get to the park theres one small apartment, then the motel, then a bunch of stores that aint open at night. Other side of the street is fenced off from the degan so nothing there. I wouldnt make a habit of walking that stretch real late. During the day its fine, evening too, but overnight I'd steer around it.

you can read the Riverdale Press online. They cover kingsbridge heights. they list local crime so you get a sense of the area.

Totally agree with this post. I'd probably go the same route up 231st St. to Baily and then walk over. The overpass on the Deegan is just too desolate. 231st has a couple of bars and stores that are open 'til late, so if you stick to this route you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City