Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:31 PM

43 posts, read 76,651 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I'm working as an AmeriCorps currently and am living out in Rego Park, Queens. And unlike most transplants, I was born here... but I did grow up in PA

I really dig this neighborhood and all the ethnic food and culture.

Though, I must say, that after living on a stipend for close to a year now, it has been extremely rough. I think the process of just obtaining housing through Craigslist was crazy: I have never seen the most shadiest **** in my entire life (ex: attic in Astoria with walls coming out, disgusting kitchen and roommates: $600 a month 0_0)

Even the credit score bs is so unrealistic to the point where good old rich daddy has to sign off for anyone to get an okay deal here (since no one has college loans right? -_-)

But, as everyone in the area has noticed, the damn cost of living near the city has been climbing with no cap in site. AND to top it all off, its so depressing to see that no real New Yorkers are even here anymore, just a bunch of rich kids with their dads paying their rent and driving good people out.

So, I'm just curious as to what people would suggest in terms of a good second tier city in terms of the following things I like to do:

- Music: This is key because I have always loved going seeing show for cheap (Thank you Brooklyn, but I absolutely hate your hipsters that go to them , mean bastards). I want it so that bands come to me, and they always come to New York on a tour. Plus I go to record stores sometimes and buy vinyl too.

- Food: I am the whitest dude on earth, but absolutely love falafel, gyro, etc. I love the food that New York has to offer (though hate not looking it up on Yelp before paying $15 for a gyro platter near Columbia that sucked balls )

- Museums: This part is cool too because I'm a very art-centered kind of guy too.

Otherwise, you can have Times Square any day of the week honestly because I hate Broadway shows. I play guitar and really would love to gig soon.

Places I've considered include Pittsburgh and Philly at the moment. Reason being is that I absolutely love Pittsburgh, its got some weird vibe that I just can't describe. Just the right amount of safety, scenery, city vibes, but not too too big either. Plus the river views with the skyline was always cool to me too (visited a few times because of my sis who went to college there). Also, I'm considering Philly because it has distinct neighborhoods. Though a friend of mine that has been from LA to NY to all over told me that nowhere in his entire life has he ever felt like he was going to be more mugged than on Philly metro.

The only trade off with it all is that I've solely used the train to get to work. But honestly, anything (hopefully) beats the 1 hour and 10 mins commute simply to Manhattan from Queens.

Anyway, hopefully I don't sound too jaded. I just know that the city really isn't going to hell in terms of prices and after visiting my Dad for the last 5 years (he lives in Greenpoint btw), and see that neighborhood turn from Polish to yuppie town, I can honestly say I'm pretty pissed off how they let the financial midwest yuppies take over everything.

Another thing to add is that I honestly aspire to be a doctor who wants to work in underserved areas (outer boroughs, New Jersey, rural areas, inner city etc) and am studying whenever I can for the MCAT as well.

Having come from a low income family, I just only feel sorry for all of the low income people that the process replaces (in addition to AmeriCorps, I help out at a soup kitchen in Manhattan on the weekends).

Regardless, lemme know !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:49 AM

672 posts, read 757,439 times
You've already mentioned Pittsburgh. Love the place.

Otherwise, there are parts of LA that might fit the bill. I liked Downtown, but the food variety was limited.

Pilsen, Bridgeport or Logan Square in Chicago might do. A lot of the city looks something like Queens and the music scene is good.

A wildcard suggestion might be the sanitized parts of New Orleans. Lots of tourists, though.

But if you want to stay in NY, have you looked into the Bronx or uptown Manhattan?

Old 04-27-2015, 07:00 AM

Everyone's been saying that to try in upper Manhattan but when you pay $650 a month for a room (get to use the bathroom and kitchen though) with utilities included, its hard to beat. Plus those apartments with the last remaining deals are like split amongst 6 people and the rent is still like $800+ for a room.

I only honestly make $15k at the moment.

Plus the landlord is super nice and its her house. Its really quiet and I prefer not to have young roommates like college where I always had to be bothered by noise and depressed that I wasn't getting any lol ;P

I mean, I would like to get a job in healthcare at the bare minimum after 2 years of service, but I just worry about being overpriced in the future.

This would be at least a 5 year thing given the market rates of available places to live.

Believe me, I've considered Jersey too because some of my coworkers literally get home faster than me anyway. Plus the house shows in Jersey are awesome from what I've heard too.

Chicago seemed awesome too, don't get me wrong. I definitely considered that. But the weather looks like it just sucks. I've lived in cold Northeast PA and that was hard in the winter too, I can only imagine it being 5x worse 0_0. And believe me, I can handle snow better than most New Yorkers when they complain about the cold, but the windchill factor and the presence of more snow year round just irks me.

I heard Minneapolis is awesome for jobs too, but same issue. Though, I heard the better deals are in the St Paul area anyway.

Regardless, its a weird thing. I kind of want to be near family in the northeast because I'm single, and am not completely settled into a decent job (who is these days anyway unless you have that stupid experience barrier fulfilled somehow).

Anyway, I'm trying to make the best of it though and not trying to think about it, but its hard without benefits sometimes. Whatever benefits I get in PA I give to my mom and brother to use because she's disabled and my bro's still in college online, so I'm just trying to give them one more year to find another decent house on section 8 and finally get out of the damn system.

This could be easily fixed with an additional job at the moment, but then again my mom and bro would be screwed in benefits so its awkward overall.

So I can honestly say I have a heart for low income individuals because I've been one for the longest time. Those who don't understand how hard it is to get out just have no idea what their lives can be if divorce or death happens in their lifetime.

Last edited by TomGreen91; 04-27-2015 at 07:30 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 AM

515 posts, read 875,461 times
RIP Greenpoint

Old 04-27-2015, 10:14 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Chicago is a great "neighborhood" city, lots of ethnic groups, being on the lake is just like being on the sea. Arlington VA also has some Queens vibes.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:42 PM

Oh cool, thanks.

I heard good things about Richmond, VA too.

I just sometimes would love to imagine, that literally, by taking the bus like 5 to 8 blocks from where I live to Queens Boulevard and walking into work. Vs getting on a local, express, and another local to get to the upper west side heh.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:57 PM

977 posts, read 567,485 times
I can tell you that the Pittsburgh area would be good for you so far as finding work in health care. There are at least two top tier health care systems in the area (Allegheny Health System and UPMC). Jobs should not be too difficult to come by. Depending on what type of health care you are interested in, too, long-term care facilities are plentiful. I believe Allegheny county has the second highest average age in the country (trailing only Palm Beach County, FL), so jobs at nursing homes, assisted living facilities, hospices, etc. should be plentiful. Good luck no matter where you decide, though.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Thanks man! I'm honestly open to the tri-state area later on if I ever get into medical school.

I'm shooting for Upstate NY, Jersey, and Pennsylvania. I would love to go to Cornell though, because that was the only school that has impressed me through a job interview last year. Columbia however has given me the biggest disdain lol. I don't know what it is, either the rich kid factor with most of the kids I met through an MCAT class, but damn are they mean and competitive as all hell.

Regardless, I'm more of a pro-boroughs kind of guy, definitely for the working man since my family has always been like that. Really, its the only population I honestly care for. You can have your NYC surgeons heh. I definitely don't want to be one.

I just want to do primary care, have my loans paid off via National HealthCorps, and have my kids decide what they want to specialize in (that is if they don't want to be an awesome guitarist like their Dad )

Old 04-27-2015, 04:39 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGreen91 View Post
Hello,

So I'm working as an AmeriCorps currently and am living out in Rego Park, Queens. And unlike most transplants, I was born here... but I did grow up in PA

I really dig this neighborhood and all the ethnic food and culture.

Though, I must say, that after living on a stipend for close to a year now, it has been extremely rough. I think the process of just obtaining housing through Craigslist was crazy: I have never seen the most shadiest **** in my entire life (ex: attic in Astoria with walls coming out, disgusting kitchen and roommates: $600 a month 0_0)

Even the credit score bs is so unrealistic to the point where good old rich daddy has to sign off for anyone to get an okay deal here (since no one has college loans right? -_-)

But, as everyone in the area has noticed, the damn cost of living near the city has been climbing with no cap in site. AND to top it all off, its so depressing to see that no real New Yorkers are even here anymore, just a bunch of rich kids with their dads paying their rent and driving good people out.

So, I'm just curious as to what people would suggest in terms of a good second tier city in terms of the following things I like to do:

- Music: This is key because I have always loved going seeing show for cheap (Thank you Brooklyn, but I absolutely hate your hipsters that go to them , mean bastards). I want it so that bands come to me, and they always come to New York on a tour. Plus I go to record stores sometimes and buy vinyl too.

- Food: I am the whitest dude on earth, but absolutely love falafel, gyro, etc. I love the food that New York has to offer (though hate not looking it up on Yelp before paying $15 for a gyro platter near Columbia that sucked balls )

- Museums: This part is cool too because I'm a very art-centered kind of guy too.

Otherwise, you can have Times Square any day of the week honestly because I hate Broadway shows. I play guitar and really would love to gig soon.

Places I've considered include Pittsburgh and Philly at the moment. Reason being is that I absolutely love Pittsburgh, its got some weird vibe that I just can't describe. Just the right amount of safety, scenery, city vibes, but not too too big either. Plus the river views with the skyline was always cool to me too (visited a few times because of my sis who went to college there). Also, I'm considering Philly because it has distinct neighborhoods. Though a friend of mine that has been from LA to NY to all over told me that nowhere in his entire life has he ever felt like he was going to be more mugged than on Philly metro.

The only trade off with it all is that I've solely used the train to get to work. But honestly, anything (hopefully) beats the 1 hour and 10 mins commute simply to Manhattan from Queens.

Anyway, hopefully I don't sound too jaded. I just know that the city really isn't going to hell in terms of prices and after visiting my Dad for the last 5 years (he lives in Greenpoint btw), and see that neighborhood turn from Polish to yuppie town, I can honestly say I'm pretty pissed off how they let the financial midwest yuppies take over everything.

Another thing to add is that I honestly aspire to be a doctor who wants to work in underserved areas (outer boroughs, New Jersey, rural areas, inner city etc) and am studying whenever I can for the MCAT as well.

Having come from a low income family, I just only feel sorry for all of the low income people that the process replaces (in addition to AmeriCorps, I help out at a soup kitchen in Manhattan on the weekends).

Regardless, lemme know !
A lot of Midwestern places, like Detroit, can give you a similar vibe. If I'm not mistaken everyone goes through Detroit on tour.

Last edited by goofy328; 04-27-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 07:23 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Philly? It seemed to ding off a lot of what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City