U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM

2,742 posts, read 4,912,705 times
Default Here is the information.

Recruit - Salary (http://www.nypd2.org/html/recruit/salary.html - broken link)

Police Academy (first six months): $25,100 (Annualized)
Upon completion of six months: $32,700
Upon completion of 1 ˝ years: $34,000
Upon completion of 2 ˝ years: $38,000
Upon completion of 3 ˝ years: $41,500
Upon completion of 4 ˝ years: $44,100
Upon completion of 5 ˝ years: $59,588

These salaries do not include overtime earnings, night-shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance.

When including base salary, average overtime and night shift differential, holiday pay, and uniform allowance, a Police Officer earns over $35,000, on average, in the first year; $45,000, on average, in the second year; $77,000, on average, after 6 years.

1 in 6 uniformed members of the NYPD are Detectives. A Detective’s (3rd Grade) average earning is
$100,000* (Promotion to Detective is not based on a promotional exam, it’s based on merit) 1 in 7 uniformed members of the NYPD are Sergeants. A Sergeant’s average earning is $100,000*
1 in 20 uniformed members of the NYPD are Lieutenants. A Lieutenant’s average earning is $122,000*

*These salaries include base salary, average overtime and night shift differential, holiday pay, and uniform allowance. The above ranks do enjoy the same additional benefits described above.

After 20 years of service, a retired Police Officer will receive:
  • Estimated earnings of $50,783 per year, comprised of 50 % of salary, longevity, night shift differential, overtime and an annual $12,000 payment from a Variable Supplement Fund.

- A retired Police Officer could receive approximately $1.9 million when retired assuming a life expectancy of 80 years. This figure is based on the age of appointment of 22 and the age of retirement of 42.

- The dollar amount of $1.9 million is estimated on 2005 salaries and is not adjusted for inflation or for future raises.

- This dollar amount will be higher for uniformed members that retire above the rank of Police Officer.
  • Full health benefits
  • Annuity Fund and Deferred Compensation Plan, 401K and I.R.A.

— The amount of total compensation from these funds depends on the market value of the portfolio that the officer has chosen while active and varies depending on the amount voluntarily contributed by the individual officer.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:01 PM

903 posts, read 2,544,405 times
Why is it that so many of you that talk about average salary cops make with overtime rarely discuss average overtime hours as well. Shouldn't those two go hand and hand?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 26,990 times
Hello, I write from Spain, first to say that I am charmed with reading everything what it(he,she) has to see with New York, and though it(he,she) costs me what is algun day have to go there, the second thing is that he(she) was reading on the salaries of the police of there, and the truth that with the standard of living can be small, in my country, there are local policemen(police), autonomous police, and policemen(police) statewide,
You finalize these they are that mas work, which do the work mas dangerously, but simultaneously, those who less charge, not if someone has listened at some time to the Police, since to be the police of the condition(state) only they receive(charge) approximately 1500 Euros a month, apart from the daily work of the police, are the managers of stopping(detaining) to europa's mafia, and terrorist groups, and with this salary the truth that is outrageous, when the city police, that they devote themselves to minor things they charge mas of 2000
Good, alone it(he,she) was for reaching a bit to the topic, pardon for my Englishman, and from Spain a greeting

Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,001,713 times
Thanks cjma79... the Recruitment Unit is really slopping it on with those figures!

$1.9M estimated pension if you live another 40 years after you retire. They really crunched those numbers. I guess they need to make it attractive anyway they can.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 PM

2,742 posts, read 4,912,705 times
Let me say, the Lt. salary is not bad. I wonder how much is the Detective first grade pay is.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 AM

2,978 posts, read 908,759 times
After reviewing ALL of the benefits, salaries, etc..I think it is quite evident that the salary "problem" really does not exist...it is more about hype and a PR tool for the Union. Those salaries and benefits are EXCELLENT for the type of people that fill the department...it is clear why they continue to recruit trainees.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 AM

7,851 posts, read 13,431,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
After reviewing ALL of the benefits, salaries, etc..I think it is quite evident that the salary "problem" really does not exist...it is more about hype and a PR tool for the Union. Those salaries and benefits are EXCELLENT for the type of people that fill the department...it is clear why they continue to recruit trainees.
It might not be bad at all. But honestly why deal with it? I don't think its worth it. There are much more attractive jobs within law enforcement. I think that's the big issue. Keeping the best guys not so much the starting salary, or the salary in general.

Locally for example, the Port Authority pays extremely well and its much less stressful day-to-day, barring a terrorist act.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 AM

2,978 posts, read 908,759 times
I agree that its not worth it...but if you come from a working/lower class inner city family, have been educated in the city's public schools (which hundreds of thousands of kids are), you are pretty much doomed EXCEPT for the reasonably high paying Union jobs like the Police Dept, MTA, etc....ALOT do better than their private sector counterparts. So this is a great and sometimes only avenue for these people....which is why the police force will continue to recruit....the supply of these people is endless.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,001,713 times
A First Grade Detective gets paid about the same as lieutenant. But it is very hard to achieve the rank of First Grade Detective. There are about 5,000 detectives and, I think, less than 300 of them are first graders. Second Graders get seregeant's salary.

The tests for the civil service rank of Sgt, Lt & Captain are fairly difficult and are only given every 3-4 years. (Sgt test have become more frequent) You really need to study 4-6 months prior to the tests... unless you are a neanderthal dolt, which you are "doomed" to the rank of polce officer for the rest of your twenty years accumulating massive overtime (so what you don't have a life?), inching closer to Warren Buffet & Donald Trump on the Forbes' List of Billionaires.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:34 PM

376 posts, read 887,299 times
45k 1st year? That is enron accounting. You need to lay off the kool aid ray kelly and bloomturd have been handing out. The NYPD has brought the murder rate down to 500 last year Guy. You promote those numbers yourself. The NYPD deserves double what they are paid for that. Nobody else did this. The cops on the street did this. I grew up here and I never in a million years thought that ny would be this safe. I remember Koch and dinkins years very well. It was chaos. The cops brought back order which brought jobs and tourist and money. The cops have EARNED IT BASED ON PRODUCTIVITY. But now things are changing and its going back the other way. If I was a mos of the nypd I would take my skills to a place that paid a fair a wage for them (many of them are). And the only reason the cops are hiring anybody is due to lowering the standards and hiring criminals. The years to come will make the knapp commision look like nothing. They are hiring felons and gang members now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City