Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 02:31 PM

17 posts, read 58,535 times

Advertisements

Yeah and it's unfortunate that they can't all make a decent living doing what they want, where they want

Old 04-17-2008, 02:42 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
97% of the world can't make a decent living doing what they want, where they want. This is not unique to NYPD...gimme a break. Enough with the rhetoric and emotions...the reality is that they make a far better living in the long run, especially considering the minimal education that is required, than easily 70% of NYers, and they get lifetime pension, medical, and a host of other perks that is far and away better than most people in the country! Yes they will struggle in the beginning, like everyone else, but the payoff IS THERE.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Wow you're just really out to disregard everything I have to say today huh? I didn't say it's not there, but how many times have you been shot at in the past 3 months? Cuz my fiancee has been in the middle of gun fights 3 times since he's been there. And you do need to have an education to join the NYPD, at least 60 college credits, which adds up to an Associate's degree so get you facts straight. but if you want to EVER advance beyond the 60 someodd thousand top pay, you HAVE to have a Bachelor's degree. So maybe the payoff will be there for him but not for everyone who joins the force. So yeah the pension sound nice and all but if you find a nice enough paying job you can save just as much in a 401k or IRA, so why not be comfortable in the begging and the end. And again, it is not about 97% of the world. It is about smart people, who work their asses off to get no reward for it. It is about NY trying to claim fame to being the center of the universe and not even paying their cops half of what most other cities are. It is about putting yourself in a dangerous job, and not being compensated like you are. What if he is killed in the next shootout, is it fair that he struggled so much in this job and then never reaped the benefits?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:01 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
I have been shot at several times a day..I live in Mott Haven! And I don't get any money for it either..not even a stinkin TV deal!

At the end of the day, NYPD in the longterm make GOOD money, and earn far more than the average household in NYC ($42,000 is the Average), as well as more than the median ($72,000). AND they get better benefits than just about everyone....so yes they struggle in the beginning..but tell me where someone who is 20 years old, with an AA from Brooklyn Community College will make $40,000 their first year, and continue going up from there, and after 20 years (at the age of 40!!!) can retire with lifetime medical, a lifetime pension of $5,000++ a month (in todays dollars), and still have the rest of their lives to do whatever they please!!!

Don't sound so bad to me!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:06 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I have been shot at several times a day..I live in Mott Haven! And I don't get any money for it either..not even a stinkin TV deal!

At the end of the day, NYPD in the longterm make GOOD money, and earn far more than the average household in NYC ($42,000 is the Average), as well as more than the median ($72,000). AND they get better benefits than just about everyone....so yes they struggle in the beginning..but tell me where someone who is 20 years old, with an AA from Brooklyn Community College will make $40,000 their first year, and continue going up from there, and after 20 years (at the age of 40!!!) can retire with lifetime medical, a lifetime pension of $5,000++ a month (in todays dollars), and still have the rest of their lives to do whatever they please!!!

Don't sound so bad to me!
Hilarious and yet very true. The starting salary for a cop ($40k) is ok for people coming out of 4 year BA programs at good schools, however a BA is not required to be a cop.

Most people with Asociates Degrees can't expect to make $40,000+, so being a cop doesn't seem like such a terrible idea.

If new cops want more money they should make sure next time the Union negotiates the contract it doesn't screw over the people coming straight out of the academy.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by officer's_sweetie View Post
Wow you're just really out to disregard everything I have to say today huh? I didn't say it's not there, but how many times have you been shot at in the past 3 months? Cuz my fiancee has been in the middle of gun fights 3 times since he's been there. And you do need to have an education to join the NYPD, at least 60 college credits, which adds up to an Associate's degree so get you facts straight. but if you want to EVER advance beyond the 60 someodd thousand top pay, you HAVE to have a Bachelor's degree. So maybe the payoff will be there for him but not for everyone who joins the force. So yeah the pension sound nice and all but if you find a nice enough paying job you can save just as much in a 401k or IRA, so why not be comfortable in the begging and the end. And again, it is not about 97% of the world. It is about smart people, who work their asses off to get no reward for it. It is about NY trying to claim fame to being the center of the universe and not even paying their cops half of what most other cities are. It is about putting yourself in a dangerous job, and not being compensated like you are. What if he is killed in the next shootout, is it fair that he struggled so much in this job and then never reaped the benefits?

Isn't it true that the majority of cops in the NYPD go through their entire career without ever having to use their weapon? Yes cops do get shot at occasionally but they are armed,the majority of us citizens are not,who has the the better odds of getting killed? You sound bitter officers sweetie....plays the song..."Do you know the way to San Jose?......

Old 04-17-2008, 05:46 PM

Well than why would I trust you to find me an apartment? I personally do not want to be in that situation!

And where the hell are y'all getting your numbers. NYPD officers start at $25,100 and after about 9 months they get a bump to just over $32,000. And top pay without becoming something higher than just a police officer is somewhere around $68,000 and the pension is more like $40,000 a year which is no where near $5,00 a month. And in order to ever advance beyond the $68,000 you have to have a Bachelor's degree if not a Master's. I am not bitter, this is the only big city in the Northeast that will hire an officer if they have not lived in the city for over a year, so it was our best option, but is it fair to make a family worry about their loved one all night to have them take home a half assed $1600 a month? I just wish that guywithacause would stop with his disagreeing with everything I say without getting his facts straight.

And yes, maybe the majority of the 35,000 cops never use their weapons but my fiancee is part of housing impact which has him moving from project to project dependent upon criminal activity, wherever there is an influx, he goes, so I am just waiting for the day where he has to fire after drawing.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Quote:
but tell me where someone who is 20 years old, with an AA from Brooklyn Community College will make $40,000 their first year, and continue going up from there
This article lists a bunch of places.... for doing the same job (well probably less). So why not NYC? Why let all of these other departments take all of the well-intentioned, college educated citizens who want to do the job?

Low-paid Finest ripe for plucking

Dozens of out-of-town police departments will be trying to lure recruits from a job fair at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice on Thursday by promising far higher starting salaries than the NYPD offers.

In Washington, the starting salary for a police officer is $48,715 a year. In Dallas, it is $41,690 - with a $10,000 signing bonus.

And in San Jose, it's $70,037, far more than double what NYPD rookies earn.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Officers Sweetie... do yourself a favor and tell your fiance to forget about the NYPD & NYC. He is young enough that if he bails out now he will not lose too much that he has invested in the pension system.

City Hall & the bosses at 1 Police Plaza do not care about the average cop on patrol. He is just one of 36,000. Encourage him to take tests & fill out applications in some of these other cities. The NYPD used to be the premier police agency in the nation, now it is just a mere shadow of its former self.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 PM

181 posts, read 866,637 times
I hate to say this, but here's the bottom line: there are two types of jobs out there-budget-driven jobs and profit-driven jobs. Cops, Fireman and Teachers all perform an invaluable service for the rest of use, for which I am grateful. However, the fact is the service they provide is only "worth" what the government can afford to pay them by taking a little of the top of those who work in profit-driven jobs. The latter will always make more, and there's just no way around that. While I don't think those workers are paid enough, they're not ever going to be paid more than the budget will allow. Sure there is wiggle room in there, but it's just always going to be that way. If you want to get paid more, get out of a budget-driven job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City