Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 10:13 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,857,114 times

Advertisements

You can make the argument that all other large bureaucracies have similar problems but these other agencies do not have the responsibilities, obligations and scenarios that require split second, life altering decisions. This is why you need to increase the candidate pool, increase the requirements and expect a better police department. With the current state of affairs things will quite the opposite.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 PM

8,623 posts, read 10,997,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
By charging property taxes that are 5 times higher than what people pay here in the city. Thats how they pay for it.

They also don't have to worry about paying various types of welfare payments for probably close to 1/5 of the population who costs the city money by living in public housing, using public services, or just causing problems (crime, littler, more police calls). They generally don't have these expenditures in Nassau or Suffolk to the degree that they exist in the city.
1st part about property tax is not entirely accurate. People outside NYC sucj as Nassau don't pay NYC income tax on their payroll.

Nassau homeowners pays a general tax and a school tax. NYC homeowners only pay a general tax.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,857,114 times
sirtiger's reply reminds me of something. Anyone considering employment with the NYPD or FDNY and if you live outside of the 5 boroughs (this is probably true for other NYC government jobs as well).... you are required as condition of employment to sign a tax waiver. This waiver entitles the city to collect a commuter tax on your salary and the salary of your spouse regardless of where he/she is employed. You will get a fraction back when you file your income taxes, but it sucks none-the-less.

Just a little info the recruiters will avoid telling you.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,984,873 times
SouthQueens...apparently you DO NOT get what you pay for..because the NYPD was far more corrupt, dysfunctional and racist an organization 30 years ago when the pay was "fair" and they were getting the "cream of the crop." So please enough with the lies!

I agree that you need to increase the candidate pool and the requirements, but as I stated, even if you increased salaries by $15,000....what you will have are the SAME "losers" and "thugs" and "gangmembers" joining the force..only now they will get paid more. The higher salary solves nothing...the key is maintaining senior people, and thats how the PBA and Arbitrator solved the problem with the most recent negotiation. The NYPD got themselves a huge raise for the senior guys, and now they are using the Media and lies to get even more money for new recruits....

The problem with their recruitment is NOT the temporarily lowered salary for new recruits...and they KNOW this.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,476,999 times
I only have in thing to say...
Never ending....

Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 AM

Hey I think that the NYPD SHOULD be a highly paid, skilled police force...the "cream of the crop." However it has NEVER been the case that the police force attracted the "cream of the crop"..it was a more respected institution long ago..and many people aspired to the job, but nonetheless the idea that somehow the temporarily lowered salary for new recruits somehow is negating the flow of "cream of the crop" recruits is laughable.

Instead of throwing more money at the problem, the force should re-evaluate themselves, how they function, their processes and procedures, the city can hire an UNBIASED outside consultant to review and recommend improvements inside and outside the bureau...and once those recommendations are implemented, you will find the NYPD functioning at the level that everyone expects, the force will be far more efficient, cops will have clear goals, rewards, directives (and not just giving parking tickets), senior cops won't be leaving ind roves due to horrendous internal working conditions, AND a newly revamped police force will be an excellent tool for recruiting the "best."

Then again you can always just throw more money at it and hope for the best! I know which I would choose.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 AM

33,445 posts, read 46,864,463 times
More like "the cream of the crap" nowadays...

I was driving my sister to the store one night for ice cream. I pulled over, and she hopped out and went into the store. I pulled up right next to a "No Parking" sign. Two cops that were on foot came up to me and said I had to move the car. I replied, "But officer, I'm not parked here. I'm standing here in the spot. I haven't turned off the car and left, that would be parking." The cops said, "You can't stay here." So then I asked them, "Well, what's the difference between a 'No Parking' sign and a 'No Standing' sign then?" Then one of them was like, "Do you want a summons or what?" Before I could respond, my sister came out with the ice cream.

Cream of the crap...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Lol....that made me laugh. The point was they did not want you parking there....that's not really a good example of anything..I am sure if you can think a little harder you would find an excellent example of the "cream of the crap."

Old 04-22-2008, 06:46 AM

235 posts, read 1,083,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
SouthQueens...apparently you DO NOT get what you pay for..because the NYPD was far more corrupt, dysfunctional and racist an organization 30 years ago when the pay was "fair" and they were getting the "cream of the crop." So please enough with the lies!

I agree that you need to increase the candidate pool and the requirements, but as I stated, even if you increased salaries by $15,000....what you will have are the SAME "losers" and "thugs" and "gangmembers" joining the force..only now they will get paid more. The higher salary solves nothing...the key is maintaining senior people, and thats how the PBA and Arbitrator solved the problem with the most recent negotiation. The NYPD got themselves a huge raise for the senior guys, and now they are using the Media and lies to get even more money for new recruits....

The problem with their recruitment is NOT the temporarily lowered salary for new recruits...and they KNOW this.
Guy, you are so factually wrong it is ridiculous. First off, the NYPD was not a racist organization 30 yrs ago. In fact, many black cops served and died in that 'racist' organization and many cops of all colors served the public to the best of their ability during some very trying social times in America. As for corruption, increased drug profits helped fuel police corruption on many big cities until reformers and the District Attorneys stepped in and put into place new policies and safeguards to address the problem.

Why is it that Nassau and Suffolk and PAPD aren't policed by "the SAME "losers" and "thugs" and "gangmembers?" How is it that those other PD's in our area are able to attract enough applicants that aren't "losers" and "thugs" and "gangmembers?" The truth is, there are a comparatively few PD's in our country that have these personnel problems (Detroit and New Orleans comes to mind) NYC is headed that way and the one thing they all have in common is low pay and low hiring standards.

The HUGE raise really is a statement of ignorance. The city was offering 6% raises, the cops received 10% raises, so their top salary went from 55K to 60K, instead of 57K. Yea, that's REALLY HUGE <rolleyes> And if you read the Mayor's remarks, it is the City that is trying to get the rookies a raise. In fact the city offered the PBA to raise the rookie pay to 35K in exchange for 10 vacation days. (of course, the starting pay WAS 35K a few yrs ago, and the city STILL had recruitment and retention problems b/c the Top Pay is uncompetitive)

If you think the NYPD's background checks are as thorough as those other, better paid PD's, AGAIN, you are seriously misinformed. Please speak to ANY cop that works for Nassau or PAPD or Westchester,etc. Speak to a former NYPD cop who left for one of those agencies and ask him if their was a difference in background checks.

Also, BOTH the Mollen and Knapp Commissions recognized the NYPD's low pay as part of the problem and recommended raising it so as to remove temptation from the ranks.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 AM

235 posts, read 1,083,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
More like "the cream of the crap" nowadays...

I was driving my sister to the store one night for ice cream. I pulled over, and she hopped out and went into the store. I pulled up right next to a "No Parking" sign. Two cops that were on foot came up to me and said I had to move the car. I replied, "But officer, I'm not parked here. I'm standing here in the spot. I haven't turned off the car and left, that would be parking." The cops said, "You can't stay here." So then I asked them, "Well, what's the difference between a 'No Parking' sign and a 'No Standing' sign then?" Then one of them was like, "Do you want a summons or what?" Before I could respond, my sister came out with the ice cream.

Cream of the crap...
When I went through the Academy 10+ yrs ago, the difference between Parking, Standing, and Stopping was taught. It was also a taught when I studied for the Sgt's exam. Nowadays, they are giving open book tests in the Academy due to the high rate of Academic failures, so what do you expect? Of course their are still decent and knowledgeable applicants and cops on the NYPD, so don;t paint them all with a broad brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City