Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 12:15 PM

30,498 posts, read 17,945,117 times

Advertisements

The only benefit I see to protests is that they help to keep the few bad cops that are out there in line as no one wants to have to deal with the mob, face losing job over this. Does that benefit outweigh the negatives associated with many of these protests? I'm inclined to say no. But, still, the protests aren't going to stop simply because I want them to stop, so I'll take any positive I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:38 PM

43,317 posts, read 44,033,973 times
Violent protests will not fix things only make them worse. But I don't know if electing a third party candidate will solve the problem either.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:23 PM

15,759 posts, read 14,368,122 times
No, legislation passed by Congress and Supreme Court decisions ended segregation.

Did the protests push that along? To some extent (more the legislative side than the legal.) Then again, that was fifty years ago. That's when mass protest was a new thing. I don't think protests have nearly the pop they used to. People are too easily distracted. And a lot of people realize that it's usually just a handful of malcontents trying to make noise, and that they have little mass backing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The civil rights protests in the 1960's ended segregation and there is far less racial discrimination as a result. Back then it was common to openly deny someone a job based on their race--or make them drink at a separate water fountain--or deny service in a restaurant. We have a ways to go based upon recent circumstances obviously--but a lot was gained.

Women have a right to vote because activists held protests and events to raise awareness and support.

The list goes on--and not just in this country but many others. Protests work--and are very often necessary when an elite few try to cut off the dialogue.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:37 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,468,958 times
The more I learn of history, the more I discover that in fact protests are often crucial to change. So I agree with Barkomatic.

Your idea, on the other hand, seems pointless. If now, only a year and a half away from the election, there is not yet a strong this party, it's too late for this go-round.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:40 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,252,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No, legislation passed by Congress and Supreme Court decisions ended segregation.

Did the protests push that along? To some extent (more the legislative side than the legal.) Then again, that was fifty years ago. That's when mass protest was a new thing. I don't think protests have nearly the pop they used to. People are too easily distracted. And a lot of people realize that it's usually just a handful of malcontents trying to make noise, and that they have little mass backing.
If you study historical Supreme Court decisions, you'll realize that they are greatly influenced by public sentiment--which in turn is influenced by protests and other events that raise awareness. I don't believe in looting and hurting others however.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:11 PM

5,028 posts, read 4,900,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
What we really need is a benevolent dictatorship where a central authority can come up with a plan, stick with it and have people go along with it. However, dictatorships are rarely benevolent since there are no checks on such a leader when he does go bad.

Perhaps ultimately the country will have to be divided. You cannot have any success as a whole nation when one segment actively cheers on the downfall and destruction of another.

Yeah, the US is sliding towards a democratic latin country fast based on how politicians are playing to win their votes.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:26 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,819,992 times
So I should cast my vote for president of the United States based on their stance of how the police interacts with criminals in the most crime infested communities?

Want change? How about the community starts by not having their neighborhoods operate like war zones, with drive by shootings of funeral homes, cops getting shot, etc?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:01 PM

5,028 posts, read 4,900,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
So I should cast my vote for president of the United States based on their stance of how the police interacts with criminals in the most crime infested communities?

Want change? How about the community starts by not having their neighborhoods operate like war zones, with drive by shootings of funeral homes, cops getting shot, etc?
Exactly. Many CRIME ridden communities are that way largely because their residents tolerate or even defend their criminal elements instead of fighting to rid off criminals. If they insist that is their preferred life styles, the government should respect their choices and consider establishing crime zone reserves and let them run their own hoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City