Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:59 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,981 times

Advertisements

are there any other sections of the city with a reasoanble commute to White Plains that has a good mix of being able to park a car but also decent Manhattan access?

i work in manhattan, gf in white plains.

the commute is fairly non-traditional as she'd arrive at work ~7:15am and leave around 3:30-4pm

Last edited by Shaolin Shadowboxing; 05-04-2015 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
The Bronx is the obvious answer. That's the borough closest to White Plains. It's a big borough, with all types of neighborhoods, so not sure why it wouldn't be an option.

Are you driving or taking the train? If driving I guess Queens, near the Throgs Neck or Whitestone Bridge, if taking the train, I guess Manhattan near Grand Central or 125th street.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The Bronx is the obvious answer. That's the borough closest to White Plains. It's a big borough, with all types of neighborhoods, so not sure why it wouldn't be an option.

Are you driving or taking the train? If driving I guess Queens, near the Throgs Neck or Whitestone Bridge, if taking the train, I guess Manhattan near Grand Central or 125th street.
gf would be driving. she works in WP. i work in manhattan, so train for me.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
gf would be driving. she works in WP. i work in manhattan, so train for me.
How about Upper Manhattan? Wash Heights, Inwood, and the like? You can take the subway, and she can drive (though you will have to research the parking situation).

Old 05-04-2015, 10:40 AM

138 posts, read 208,048 times
Not sure why the Bronx is off the table, but Marble Hill is technically Manhattan--easy commute to Midtown on MetroNorth, longer if you take the 1 train. Easy to get north to WP via car on a reverse commute. Good restaurants, etc. nearby in Inwood.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versicle View Post
Not sure why the Bronx is off the table, but Marble Hill is technically Manhattan--easy commute to Midtown on MetroNorth, longer if you take the 1 train. Easy to get north to WP via car on a reverse commute. Good restaurants, etc. nearby in Inwood.
i dont know much about it. decent neighborhood? anywhere to park without paying insane prices to do so?

as for the bronx, just never found a place that appealed to me. riverdale seems OK but too quiet.

thanks!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:22 PM

There are good neighborhoods in the Bronx that aren't as quiet as Riverdale, and which would provide you subway access and her car access.

Off the top of my head, Kingsbridge, Woodlawn, Norwood, Bedford Park, Belmont, Morris Park, Van Nest, Pelham Parkway, Baychester, Parkchester and Pelham Bay are all 1. Reasonably decent/safe and 2. On the subway, but you can probably find some parking. None of these areas are trendy or anything, but they're solid areas.

Also, there's a fair amount of gentrification in certain parts of the South Bronx, and that may be to your liking if you are into lofts (Bruckner Blvd. area) or art deco apartment buildings (Lower Concourse area).

The Bronx, overall, is pretty much massively improved from 20-30 years ago. Big, positive changes, even in the remaining rough areas.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are good neighborhoods in the Bronx that aren't as quiet as Riverdale, and which would provide you subway access and her car access.

Off the top of my head, Kingsbridge, Woodlawn, Norwood, Bedford Park, Belmont, Morris Park, Van Nest, Pelham Parkway, Baychester, Parkchester and Pelham Bay are all 1. Reasonably decent/safe and 2. On the subway, but you can probably find some parking. None of these areas are trendy or anything, but they're solid areas.

Also, there's a fair amount of gentrification in certain parts of the South Bronx, and that may be to your liking if you are into lofts (Bruckner Blvd. area) or art deco apartment buildings (Lower Concourse area).

The Bronx, overall, is pretty much massively improved from 20-30 years ago. Big, positive changes, even in the remaining rough areas.
ill chalk it up to me never seeing any part of the bronx i like.

i live in the rivertowns right now (dobbs ferry) and find it too boring which was why i was hoping queens would make an OK commute. maybe ill take another look at BX though.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:25 AM

279 posts, read 521,544 times
Quote:
ill chalk it up to me never seeing any part of the bronx i like.

i live in the rivertowns right now (dobbs ferry) and find it too boring which was why i was hoping queens would make an OK commute. maybe ill take another look at BX though.
Depending on what sort of liveliness you're looking for, Woodlawn in the Bronx may be for you. It's very close to Yonkers, has a Metro-North station for a quick commute to White Plains, and Katonah Avenue has a ton of bars. Further up on McClean (in Yonkers) is another bar scene. It's fairly isolated so crime isn't an issue. The only problem is finding a place there. It's mainly Irish and Irish-Americans, and there isn't much that comes onto the market, since most people use word of mouth or look out for family members. I'm over there regularly and outside of the bar scene, the area is really quiet, so just something to note. I live in Riverdale and find Woodlawn to be similar in terms of safety, closeness to Westchester, but Woodlawn has a much bigger bar scene than my neighborhood does.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 AM

138 posts, read 208,048 times
Quote:
i dont know much about it. decent neighborhood? anywhere to park without paying insane prices to do so?

as for the bronx, just never found a place that appealed to me. riverdale seems OK but too quiet.

thanks!
Street parking can be hard, but mainly because of reverse side / street cleaning, which wouldn't be an issue if one of you is driving to work every workday. Parking spots run anywhere from about $125-200 per month. Marble Hill is pretty sleepy, but it's tiny and adjacent to Inwood and Kingsbridge, both of which have various bars and restaurants. All of the properties that have come up for sale in the past year have sold to young couples. There are nice rentals in multi-family homes. The apartment buildings in the area really range in quality and upkeep, so I'd suggest investigating thoroughly.

I'd also suggest looking at Kingsbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City