Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:34 PM

21 posts, read 65,562 times

Advertisements

I previously had a thread Riverdale or Spuytin Duyvil. I retired in April, and am now looking for coops/ condos more aggressively. I saw apartments at River House. Any feedback you can give me about this building, i.e. reputation, solvency, problems, postives would be appreciated. I saw a really attractive apartment in the Tangiers building at 3050 Fairfield. However the building looked shabby and not well cared for. Finally we saw an apt. at the Churchill building.Any insights you can offer about any of these would be appreciated.Thanks

3 br , 2 bath in a dog friendly building in an area not too hilly w/ groceries, etc close by
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 04:59 PM

279 posts, read 521,274 times
Hello Debra! Good to see you back. Before I make any other suggestions, can you refresh my memory on what your needs/priorities were? For example, I believe you wanted to be close to the shopping in Central Riverdale so that you could walk and avoid hilly areas?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:38 AM

Not hilly, food stores nearby dog friendly, elevator, doorman

Old 05-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Have you tried the Riverstone on Arlington between 232nd and 235th? It's a condo (relatively new construction), but it has really great amenities that you would like for that area. There's a porte-cochère when you do drive, 24 hour concierge service, a mogul movie theatre, refrigerated storage, childrens' playroom if you have grandchildren, total fitness health spa, indoor swimming pool, sauna/steam room and the big one... onsite parking garage, and it's just a skip and a hop away from Johnson and and the stores along 235th. It's fairly new construction too. I was talking to a guy who lives on Arlington about that building on Friday as we were heading back to Riverdale, and he had good things to say about it. I pass by it regularly since I live a few blocks away and it's a beautiful building. The staff appears to be really friendly and professional. For what it's worth, there are several co-ops on that block but they won't offer the same amenities.

P.S. I forget which way you are leaning (co-op or condo), but the maintenance fees in Riverdale can be high, but it's usually worth it. I'm sure you can see how well the grounds of most buildings are cared for in the area.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM

I prefer a coop ,but I'm open to condo. Any info abt the specific buildings River House, Churchill, or Tangiers would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,761 times
in for ideas. hoping to find something right around $2k for a 1br.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 AM

Why not start you own thread Fast Life?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra H View Post
Why not start you own thread Fast Life?
lol... I agree, but I suppose we could kill two birds with one stone...

Since you are really interested in co-ops, I think you should check out Netherland Avenue between 232nd and 235th. There is a co-op called The Steven Lee that may interest you. It's on a very nice quiet tree-lined street (the address is 3200 Netherland Avenue, Riverdale, NY 10463), and it's very close to shopping within a 5 minute walk. I believe there is on-site parking and since the building is on a step street, you may have an apartment with nice views. There is an on-site super, and I know for a fact that the grounds are maintained daily, as I walk by there on my way to work. The block itself isn't completely flat, but not really hilly either considering the general area.

I would imagine some of the apartments in that building would need to be renovated, but some may come with that done already, but one of the advantages of looking at co-ops in Central Riverdale is that they are quite reasonable price-wise, and you can renovate them to your tastes (should that be necessary). Your other options would be to look at co-ops on the next block on Arlington, which has a similar feel... Close to shopping, on a nice tree-lined street. The only downside is that Arlington is a bit more hilly in some parts in Central Riverdale (between 232nd and 235th), but that's the case with the area overall. I would recommend co-ops on Johnson below 232nd, but you would have to contend with a hill. Just the way Riverdale is, as the neighborhood was designed around the topography, which is why there isn't a street grid here. I would really look at the Steven Lee building though. There is also a relatively new building on the corner of Arlington and 232nd that I love. I am not sure if it's a co-op or a condo, but it looks nice, though I don't believe it has a doorman, and one across the street from the Steven Lee on Netherland and 232nd, which I'm also certain is a co-op. I always see people coming out of that building heading to work or walking with their little ones, or walking their dogs, and it looks like a very close-knit, family-friendly building to be in.

Other than that, given your preferences for non-hilly blocks, you could consider The Stuart House on West 235th between Cambridge and Oxford (525 West 235th Street, Riverdale, NY 10463). It is a co-op that is literally steps away from the supermarket and the shops along 235th and Johnson Avenue and is fairly flat. However, I don't think there is a doorman, though I do see someone maintaining the grounds daily when I walk by there. I am also not sure about parking, but any co-op that you look for in that area, I would inquire about parking, as parking can be tough in Central Riverdale, as well as down in Spuyten Duyvil. As for pet-friendly buildings, there are TONS of dogs here in Central Riverdale, and I can't think of any buildings that aren't pet-friendly, so I think that would be the least of your worries. In my building I know of a lady that has two dogs, and two other neighbors have a dog as well. You will see plenty of people walking their dogs, as this is a very family-friendly, pet-friendly neighborhood.

Once I hear back from you on your thoughts, I can provide more specific information.

Last edited by on the avenue; 05-08-2015 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
in for ideas. hoping to find something right around $2k for a 1br.
For a one bedroom for $2k, you have several options in Riverdale. That will give you plenty of space, and likely afford you a rental in a luxury building, or even a rental in a co-op or a condo. The Enclave on Oxford, which is a luxury rental building located in Central Riverdale may work for you, as it is close to public transportation (the express buses, the shuttle buses to Metro-North and the city buses are all within walking distance). It was just recently finished late last year, and offers some beautiful views with nice amenities. There are balconies, with a doorman, and I'm sure there is on-site parking as well. The only down side is that it's on a hilly street, but just about all of Oxford Avenue is hilly, so it comes with the territory. The plus is that with that hilly street, you can be close to all of the shops, but sort of away from everything, since the hills tend to deter people from strolling through if you will, so it maintains its tree-lined, quietness that most of Central Riverdale enjoys.

I would need to know more specifics about your desires in order to provide more options. For example, do you drive? What sort of amenities are you looking for?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra H View Post
I prefer a coop ,but I'm open to condo. Any info abt the specific buildings River House, Churchill, or Tangiers would be appreciated. Thanks
Are you now considering moving your search outside of Central Riverdale? The River House is located in North Riverdale, which would require a car for sure given the topography.

The Winston Churchill is down in Spuyten Duyvil, and is one of the top co-op buildings in that area. The only downside is you would not be able to walk to shopping in Central Riverdale, and the shopping that is available is on Knolls Crescent west of Kappock Street, which is rather hilly. Spuyten Duyvil has far fewer shopping options than Central Riverdale, which is the "Downtown" of Riverdale, so please keep that in mind.

The Tangiers is located just below Central Riverdale in Spuyten Duyvil and is on a rather hilly street. I suppose you could walk to the shops in Central Riverdale, but driving would be MUCH easier given the distance and the hilly topography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City