Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:04 PM

493 posts, read 511,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The SF Bay area isn't really any cheaper than NYC and the "free" house will likely come with a whopping tax bill and lots of yearly maintenance. If you are happy in NYC, I'd sell the house and buy a place here.That's what I'd do,I'd sell the house.
Taxes she inherited it from her parents. I paid about 800 dollars for my co-op (250k value). Im sure its worth more but still worth it if its free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,692 times
Thanks everyone so much for your responses! We are going to take a quick trip to the Bay Area in June, but I can't imagine loving it like we all love NYC. Going to sell it and put away some savings for college.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
rent vs. no-rent forever? you be the judge.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:11 PM

415 posts, read 514,200 times
You seem to have presented us with a Hobson's choice which leads me to question the motives your question.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamo View Post
I don't know what to do. My partner and I currently live in a lovely 3bd apartment in Washington Heights with our kids (7 and 5) and dog. We love our neighbors, our neighborhood, our friends, and NYC life. Our kids love their school and their friends. My partner is a 4th generation NYer, and neither of us could ever imagine leaving, until we inherited a free house.

My mother recently passed away and left me her fully paid off house in Redwood City, which is a suburb on the peninsula of the Bay Area, CA. I grew up in Petaluma and only visited Redwood City a few times, and it was fine - pretty white, good schools, 30 mins from SF, some independent shops. We are considering it because to not have to pay for housing and still live in a relatively urban liberal area would be incredible. But I just don't know if I can give up my life here.

What would you do? Is this area cheaper than where we are now? What would it take for you to leave NY?
3 Bedroom Apartment in Washington Heights? That's a steal, but having a downplayed inherited house all the way in the Bay-Area is even a bigger steal. It really depends on your situation. Redwood City is right by Foster City and the home of tech Companies like Oracle and Electronic Arts. You have to look at what you want. Do you want an urban living or suburban living? Suburban living may offer better schools for your children along with better environment. But urban living especially in the Heights may have your children exposed to different cultures and peoples which is also a positive. The Bay Area is one of the most expensive areas in the country and even more expensive than NYC and its areas. If I was you I would rent it out, especially to those who can not afford price of living in San Francisco and long commute to work in Silicon Valley would not mind using your space. If not renting try selling your home which and use it to buy a home in NYC.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-06-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
Taxes she inherited it from her parents. I paid about 800 dollars for my co-op (250k value). Im sure its worth more but still worth it if its free.
Wasn't speaking of inheritance taxes. Yearly real property taxes in the SF Bay area can easily run $20,000 to $30,000/yr. Maintenance/upkeep/repairs on any house anywhere can easily be at least $5,000 or more per year. If you have to pay $25,000 or $30,000 /yr to own a house it's not "free"

Old 05-06-2015, 05:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamo View Post
Thanks everyone so much for your responses! We are going to take a quick trip to the Bay Area in June, but I can't imagine loving it like we all love NYC. Going to sell it and put away some savings for college.
Good choice.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Seems like you're happy where you are, seems silly to move to the other side of the country if you're settled, happy and it's practical to stay. Why not use the money from the sale to buy a nice condo/co-op in Washington Heights?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:36 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Paid off house in Redwood City, probably covered by Proposition 13 so property taxes not insane. I'd sure move. But if you don't want to, I'm sure you can get damn good money for it, you'll have tech employees killing themselves to bid on it.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 PM

749 posts, read 920,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
You are one lucky guy. Wish I had family that left me a paid off house.

Tough decision. I would probably keep the place and use it as a rental property for a couple of years.

Enjoy NYC for a while and then make the move to California when you are ready. The properties there are only going to make more money.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Renting a house is a HUGE, BIG, headache, and more so when the owners are in the opposite side of the country.

I would get familiar with the current price of the neighborhood, and sell it.........and buy something in New York, where your heart is........

I did Southern California for many, many years, with the intention of moving there. I spent months at at time........I checked it North, South, East, and West..........finally, I could not make the move.

People and customs are very, very different than New Yorkers can put up with......Good-luck to you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: