Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times

Advertisements

Usually Presidents unit. We meet four times a year just the board. Once a year for annual meeting so the lazy owners can yell at the board members who volunteer their time

Fun times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 04:09 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Usually Presidents unit. We meet four times a year just the board. Once a year for annual meeting so the lazy owners can yell at the board members who volunteer their time
How weird. You don't have monthly meetings?

Nightcrawler, what do you mean by LL? Do you mean the sponsor?

Citizenrich, isn't it odd meeting in the lobby where anyone can be walking in?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:23 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
In my complex, they have a special room for those meetings that's located on the first floor of the same building that has the management office.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-07-2015, 06:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The are 32 apartments
12 are individual owners
19 are owned by the LL
1 superintendent apt

I started renting here, then my friends on the top floor were getting a divorce and didnt want the apartment anymore so (long story) the bank let me assume thier mortgage. I basically took over from where they left off at. The apt has been paid off long ago.

The sponsor ( LL ) treat the owners 100 percent better than the renters. I had my whole kitchen installed by the LL's men for free, all I did was tip the guys. (they are the best).
When did this place go co-op?
It sounds like the landlord might never relinquish control to co-operators. This is often a terrible thing for "tenants" whether they have stock or just leases. What the landlord says GOES. Isn't there some law that forces landlords to walk away from decision making after a certain period of time? Co-oping was not set up to be a means of letting landlords escape rent stabilization.

With 12 owners, that means the building was converted in a non-eviction plan and thus at the time of conversion the rent stabilized apartments REMAINED rent stabilized at least for the life of the current tenants.

Did you find your maintenance payment was more or less than the comparable stabilized rent you were paying, maybe per square foot to compare apples to apples?

Friend in a conversion in the Village, lovely place on Greenwich Street, went co-op 30 years ago. He was offered his apartment at a pretty good price and declined. His $600 stabilized rent would have gone to a $900 maintenance payment. He's still there, retired, renting, and stabilized.

Of course, had he bought, he'd have a $million dollar apartment to leave to nobody (single, gay with zero intention of ever moving) but he'd have had to pay a hefty increase every month for 30 years...PLUS the cost of the buy-in.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

yes, same thing

Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It sounds like the landlord might never relinquish control to co-operators. This is often a terrible thing for "tenants" whether they have stock or just leases. What the landlord says GOES. Isn't there some law that forces landlords to walk away from decision making after a certain period of time? Co-oping was not set up to be a means of letting landlords escape rent stabilization.

With 12 owners, that means the building was converted in a non-eviction plan and thus at the time of conversion the rent stabilized apartments REMAINED rent stabilized at least for the life of the current tenants.

Did you find your maintenance payment was more or less than the comparable stabilized rent you were paying, maybe per square foot to compare apples to apples?

Friend in a conversion in the Village, lovely place on Greenwich Street, went co-op 30 years ago. He was offered his apartment at a pretty good price and declined. His $600 stabilized rent would have gone to a $900 maintenance payment. He's still there, retired, renting, and stabilized.

Of course, had he bought, he'd have a $million dollar apartment to leave to nobody (single, gay with zero intention of ever moving) but he'd have had to pay a hefty increase every month for 30 years...PLUS the cost of the buy-in.

- Building went co-op in the mid 80's
- yes, it was a non eviction plan, the RS Rc tenants were still there, but like i said over the years some died and some moved and that just leaves 2 RS, and one tenant is around 89 or so, and not in good health.
- the maintenance was very little and still is.
- when I rented there first I was paying X amount of rent, then I moved up to the bigger apt and for 50 bucks more a month it was worth it, because that included both my maintenance and mortgage.

To me, I dont care that there are more renters than owners, because the LL / sponsor charges more rent because they are now market rate and keeps our maint low, and they treat the owners 100 percent better than the renters. basically they dont care about the renters, they can move all they want and the rent keeps going up, and my maint stays the same...so for me it is a win win situation.

The LL lets me do the gardens out front because he know i like to do it, and reimburses me for the flowers and mulch etc. We all get along well, like I have stated many times before I am here around 27 years.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 AM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Rotating board members apartments.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:25 AM

415 posts, read 514,200 times
Quote:

I submit that it's a good way to test whether or not a cooperative is well run. Well run = keeping the riff raff out. Lol.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:02 AM

415 posts, read 514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

^^^^ this post should be required reading for...everyone. You make a brief , clear, considerred and incontrovertible argument for why when it comes to personal finance and housing, there are no universal truths.

People need to chill with projection, confirmation bias and reaction formation when it comes to I guess what would be called real estate advice.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:29 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Quote:

Via emails and phone calls I spend like ten hours a week on stuff. Illegal subletting, Illegal renovations, Arrears, sales, checking insurance documents, reviewing RFPs, yadda yadda

When the entire board has to meet in person it is usually do to some major issue.

Some nut bought into building and cut up a small apartment into rooms and decided to rent out to multiple people that was a recent in person board meeting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: