U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:26 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,623,683 times

Advertisements

As an agent here in nyc theres nothing wrong with the situation you area going through. Lease signing and check giving usually never entails getting the keys, you would receive keys either closer to your move in date or on the move in date. Make sure just to ask if you're getting keys from the super, management company office or broker, etc. Also dont be shocked if you dont get a copy of the lease until about 1-3 weeks after move in.

Your title for this thread is very misleading and has nothing to do with any wrong doing or scum practices by a broker. Credit checks and applications are mostly denied by the owner not the agent.

Its possible you got yourself an exclusive apt which means that it can only be rented through that particular agent and is NORMAL for 15% cause of the exclusivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 11:43 PM

77 posts, read 84,472 times
Contrary to what the broker has posted above, I have paid with a personal check when signing a lease at EVERY apartment I have rented in the city. 5 apts over the course of close to 20 years. It's a scam that brokers charge such a high commission for rentals. But the market allows it due to the fact that so many people are willing to pay it.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:00 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,623,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-2023 View Post
Contrary to what the broker has posted above, I have paid with a personal check when signing a lease at EVERY apartment I have rented in the city. 5 apts over the course of close to 20 years. It's a scam that brokers charge such a high commission for rentals. But the market allows it due to the fact that so many people are willing to pay it.
When is the last time you moved? If small (1-2building landlords, perhaps) if large management companies, I call BS. I've yet to come across any landlord/management company that would accept a personal check at lease signing.

Name all the landlords/management companies that have accepted your personal checks so this way the entire board can have your luck.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:57 AM

102 posts, read 102,144 times
Personal check? I'm also skeptical. When I first moved to NYC I gave my bank and brokerage statements to my agent for the landlord. I had a lot of cash. Way more than my landlord would ever require as proof (not because I am a trust finder either...just a cheapskate who saved through my twenties).

Landlord still required certified checks. Broker did take cash for his fee though.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:45 AM

973 posts, read 1,403,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
When is the last time you moved? If small (1-2building landlords, perhaps) if large management companies, I call BS. I've yet to come across any landlord/management company that would accept a personal check at lease signing.

Name all the landlords/management companies that have accepted your personal checks so this way the entire board can have your luck.
Two of the largest Rental companies definitely do accept personal cheques (Equity and Avalon). Interestingly enough in my last private rental situation the landlord accepted a personal cheque but the management company wanted bank cheques for all the fees payable.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 PM

30,316 posts, read 31,191,100 times
I too have paid with personal checks when I signed leases although one broker did run a credit check on me. One time I received the keys when signing the lease as the apt. was empty and another time I had to wait to receive the keys until closer to the moving in date as the apt. was not empty.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:28 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,235,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL1534 View Post
Personal check? I'm also skeptical. When I first moved to NYC I gave my bank and brokerage statements to my agent for the landlord. I had a lot of cash. Way more than my landlord would ever require as proof (not because I am a trust finder either...just a cheapskate who saved through my twenties).

Landlord still required certified checks. Broker did take cash for his fee though.
Similar situation happen between the tenant I rented to and myself. I only request it out of convenience of not having to wait two weeks for their personal check to clear. I prefer certified check or wire transfer over cash for documentation purpose, in case I get audited when I report it in my tax filings.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:50 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
You don't seem to be mentioning when the lease starts. If it hasn't started, there's no reason for them to rush with the keys. I wouldn't worry about illegalities yet. Cashier's checks, stupid though they are, are normal.

Even if the apartment is empty, they may be having it cleaned or painted or something like that.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:55 PM

493 posts, read 364,861 times
I always assumed the brokers fee was one months rent. I don't know how much your rent is but 6k seems high.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:54 PM

990 posts, read 1,257,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
I always assumed the brokers fee was one months rent. I don't know how much your rent is but 6k seems high.
In Manhattan, the broker's fee, especially this time of the year, is generally 15% of the first year's annual rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or