U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-11-2015, 12:59 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 967,470 times
Reputation: 417

Advertisements

i am thinking if i leave by 3:30-4 I should be OK.

also trying to nail down long term parking (5 nights) or if i should do UBER.

thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM
 
706 posts, read 820,478 times
Reputation: 878
Domestic or International Flight???

If the flight departs at 7pm that would put boarding at 6;25 to 6;30pm so you want to be in the terminal pass security check by 5;30 to 5;45pm. The weather on Thursday is Sunny so you won't have any weather delays. White Plains to JFK is usually a 1 hr ride. I would leave at 3pm.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 01:25 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 967,470 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
Domestic or International Flight???

If the flight departs at 7pm that would put boarding at 6;25 to 6;30pm so you want to be in the terminal pass security check by 5;30 to 5;45pm. The weather on Thursday is Sunny so you won't have any weather delays. White Plains to JFK is usually a 1 hr ride. I would leave at 3pm.
domestic. virgin america to San Francisco. departs at 6:55pm.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 PM
 
2,853 posts, read 6,250,461 times
Reputation: 1636
If you're driving, just remember that 4PM and afterwards, you'll be dealing with some traffic on the Grand Central/Van Wyck of commuters leaving the city for Long Island. Especially on a Friday. So build in a little time for that just in case.

You can also take metro north into the city and then do a shuttle or take the train to JFK.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 02:13 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 967,470 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
If you're driving, just remember that 4PM and afterwards, you'll be dealing with some traffic on the Grand Central/Van Wyck of commuters leaving the city for Long Island. Especially on a Friday. So build in a little time for that just in case.

You can also take metro north into the city and then do a shuttle or take the train to JFK.
i have the option of working in our midtown office. would that make more sense? then i could take the LIRR to Jamaica.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 02:16 PM
 
2,853 posts, read 6,250,461 times
Reputation: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
i have the option of working in our midtown office. would that make more sense? then i could take the LIRR to Jamaica.
I would honestly recommend this if that is an option. From Westchester to JFK can be a nightmare during rush hour (especially Fridays and in the summer) and this will save you some anxiety. From Manhattan you have a few options. LIRR to the AirTrain to Jamaica is very easy. If you want to save a few bucks you can also take the Subway (E train) to Jamaica Station, where the AirTrain is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 02:37 PM
 
706 posts, read 820,478 times
Reputation: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
i have the option of working in our midtown office. would that make more sense? then i could take the LIRR to Jamaica.
i would do that. It would also be cheaper. How many bags are you taking with you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 02:45 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 967,470 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
i would do that. It would also be cheaper. How many bags are you taking with you?
going to try and get away with just a duffle bag. more than likely ill have the duffle and a backpack.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 05:56 PM
 
Location: New York
2,005 posts, read 4,271,287 times
Reputation: 1989
You will live the slow life for sure on the Van Wyck. Not only is the Wyck the slowest highway in the world but there is major construction on the Van Wyck right now making it the slowest road in the galaxy. if you depart at 3 PM it's doubtful that your party will arrive JFK in good order. Listen to me and select the train and you'll get there on time and without the headaches of that Robert Moses trail of tears called the Van Wyck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 AM
 
1,117 posts, read 967,470 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
You will live the slow life for sure on the Van Wyck. Not only is the Wyck the slowest highway in the world but there is major construction on the Van Wyck right now making it the slowest road in the galaxy. if you depart at 3 PM it's doubtful that your party will arrive JFK in good order. Listen to me and select the train and you'll get there on time and without the headaches of that Robert Moses trail of tears called the Van Wyck.
lol will be taking train. thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top