U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 7,971 times

Advertisements

that's so messed up...something was agreed to and now he threatens with eviction by calling and yelling after 9PM. thought it was a bit odd immediately especially when he got loud.

i have been researching and everything i come across says that 'immediate family' does not have to be on the lease and can live there. our one bedroom apartment is about 750 sq ft so it is definitely not overcrowded with just us two. no pets and no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 PM

called my broker and she said if he asks for an app fee of 100 she would give it from her broker fee. however i mentioned no need to get all my paperwork, hard pull on credit, etc when my wife was already approved and signed. so pretty much a copy of my id. also advised to not budge in rent if i give in to the 100 app fee.

waiting to hear back, she is supposed to speak to the land lords broker (he was there at lease signing with wife and i and helping me take measurements)...

Old 05-13-2015, 01:37 AM

415 posts, read 306,073 times
My dad taught me that trouble has a way of finding people who go around looking for it. Best advice anyone has ever given to me.

I've never even as much as run a credit check on a tenant. I always rent for under market and I make sure I have a long conversation with all of my tenants before I take a penny from them. I make sure they know the rules and let them know what I expect from them in exchange for basically gifting them hard earned cash each month. When I collect the first week of each month, I always remind them of how our relationship works. People tend to be nice and respectful to someone who gives them thousands of dollars each year.

The only tenant I've ever had a problem with were ones who came with the property.

Tenants are just like dogs. Meaning: there's no such thing as a bad dog only bad dog owners. Not a perfect analogy; few are...

Old 05-13-2015, 09:42 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
Since when does anyone need consent to pull a credit report on ANYONE?
And of course, logic dictates that he who wants the information should PAY for it.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:05 AM

9,973 posts, read 8,471,531 times
I have a three unit building I'm renovating, and soon to be renting out. Any going in there will get a credit check, civil court check, employment verification, previous land lord references, and a criminal record check. I won't be taking any chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
My dad taught me that trouble has a way of finding people who go around looking for it. Best advice anyone has ever given to me.

I've never even as much as run a credit check on a tenant. I always rent for under market and I make sure I have a long conversation with all of my tenants before I take a penny from them. I make sure they know the rules and let them know what I expect from them in exchange for basically gifting them hard earned cash each month. When I collect the first week of each month, I always remind them of how our relationship works. People tend to be nice and respectful to someone who gives them thousands of dollars each year.

The only tenant I've ever had a problem with were ones who came with the property.

Tenants are just like dogs. Meaning: there's no such thing as a bad dog only bad dog owners. Not a perfect analogy; few are...

Old 05-13-2015, 12:30 PM

^ BBMW that seems like the standard and a good way to pre screen your tennants.

However, my wife qualified for the apartment on her own given income and $ in the bank. There was never a need to have me as a co applicant. Either one of us could have been approved but we decided not to have two hard pulls on credit and provide several years of bank statements if not needed. And it proved to be not needed since she was approved without me having to be a co-applicant/co-signer...in addition to that, immediate family is not required to be on the lease in NYC.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 AM

my broker hasn't been able to reach the landlord's broker and said don't do anything until they call again...so basically just sit tight and not be proactive and hope it goes away? or can this cause even more problems in the near future?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 AM

2,260 posts, read 2,632,033 times
Speaking as an agent that has been through this process a few times over the yrs, running your credit and filling out an application is what normally what will be asked when "moving" someone new in. Ive never come across a situation with the rent price changing. Then again this could be a smaller landlord who operates differently, also since you had an agent on your side and someone on the landlord side it seems you are dealing with what is called "an exclusive" pretty much your agent doesnt get to make any rules-changes and must follow the landlords agents way.

My advice is to just fork over the application-credit check but argue the rent increase. However since you have given a bad taste to the landlord it might be difficult also if it is a bigger landlord the next time you move and the new landlord checks up your past rental history this "trying to save $100 and credit pull" will come back.

Why were you so afraid of getting your credit pulled a certain note is made in the history that shows where-how many times it was used for apt searches and that is also taken into consideration.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:06 PM

^ but why does my credit need to be pulled and to provide months of bank statements/pay stubs etc if my wife qualifies on her own?

you're telling me if my wife and her mom want to live in an apt they will have to do the application for both people even if one person qualifies on their own? from what i have seen this is definitely not the norm.

i do believe it is an "exclusive" for the broker however the land lord's broker has been present for the final meeting and should he not have mentioned this to me at that time? also through what system is one able to check my past rental history that would negatively effect me?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:13 PM

9,813 posts, read 15,933,638 times
Personally I would talk to a lawyer who specialized in landlord tenant law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or