U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:54 AM

2,342 posts, read 1,295,657 times

Advertisements

The correct answer: anyone in a public setting is fair game to have their picture taken, they may not care for that but unless they own the street they are a potential subject. I believe that Rock Center have the only private sidewalks in the city & you would technically need their permission, they could legally harass you if you were taking pictures of someone who then complained to their security. Inside buildings you must ask the owners/manager/subject's permission legally. You cannot take pictures into windows visible from the street, though you can look I believe, not sure really about that part honestly.

People object to things all the time for no reasons other than their feelings, which I think are important, but not binding in a public area. ABC got sued once because they showed a couple making out during a lull in a ball game & it made the highlights reel on the late news. The guy's wife filed for divorce because that wasn't her in the stands & the judge said actions in a public setting aren't an invasion of privacy (ABC obviously had a contract for video in the stadium).

Following an individual around taking pictures is illegal unless that person is a public figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 03:59 PM

257 posts, read 498,625 times
First of all, why is this in the NYC forum? There's a whole Philosophy subsection on CD. Perhaps you fail to realize that morality and legality are two very different concepts which occasionally overlap.

What kind of moral system do you subscribe to? If you are a religious person then chances are you subscribe to some form of the "Golden Rule". If not then perhaps Kant's categorical imperative is to your liking? Or maybe Utilitarianism? Regardless, it's a pedestrian question that you're trying to answer so it shouldn't take you long, but asking for what Good and Right are on a public forum is most definitely a waste of time.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:19 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,351,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The correct answer: anyone in a public setting is fair game to have their picture taken, they may not care for that but unless they own the street they are a potential subject. I believe that Rock Center have the only private sidewalks in the city & you would technically need their permission, they could legally harass you if you were taking pictures of someone who then complained to their security. Inside buildings you must ask the owners/manager/subject's permission legally. You cannot take pictures into windows visible from the street, though you can look I believe, not sure really about that part honestly.

People object to things all the time for no reasons other than their feelings, which I think are important, but not binding in a public area. ABC got sued once because they showed a couple making out during a lull in a ball game & it made the highlights reel on the late news. The guy's wife filed for divorce because that wasn't her in the stands & the judge said actions in a public setting aren't an invasion of privacy (ABC obviously had a contract for video in the stadium).

Following an individual around taking pictures is illegal unless that person is a public figure.
OP was asking whether or not it was immoral. He wasn't asking whether or not it was illegal.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:31 PM

18 posts, read 13,870 times
Happens in subway all the time.. So creepy!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 AM

20,162 posts, read 26,460,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Just ask yourself...... Would you want strangers taking pics of you on the street? I certainly wouldn't. I mean, what are you gonna do with the pictures?

One might well ask the same question of governments, federal, state, and city.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:22 AM

576 posts, read 463,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
One might well ask the same question of governments, federal, state, and city.
Touche.....

Old 05-19-2015, 01:39 PM

147 posts, read 135,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
There are so many beautiful ladies in the city. The warmer weather gives them the opportunity to showcase their beauty in very revealing clothing that leaves little to the imagination. I never take pictures of people with my smartphone because I'm worried they'll get angry with me and ask me to delete the picture. That said, I feel like taking pictures of hot chicks. But I think it may be immoral.

Hey, if they dress like that than its saying they want to get noticed; and, those who get noticed are expected to have pictures of them taken.

You'll often them but not taking their picture, but to be on the safe side and don't get caught...

Old 05-19-2015, 05:17 PM

202 posts, read 169,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy00 View Post
Hey, if they dress like that than its saying they want to get noticed; and, those who get noticed are expected to have pictures of them taken.

You'll often them but not taking their picture, but to be on the safe side and don't get caught...
Good point!

Yes, if women don't want men looking at them then they should dress modestly. The woman is inviting curiousity.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:54 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,019,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
Good point!

Yes, if women don't want men looking at them then they should dress modestly. The woman is inviting curiousity.
Is this you posting as you, or as your "mother" who is very interested in the "quality of a mother-son relationship"?

Questions for Female New Yorkers

Old 05-19-2015, 06:21 PM

6,043 posts, read 6,087,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless in socal View Post
Lol I would only snap a pic of some girl was running around in a wet white tee shirt with no bra or something, anything else is pointless. There are plenty of attractive women go look at on line without being a socially awkward perv who takes pictures of strange women.
That's how I feel about it. No real point/kind of lame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City