U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:57 AM
 
147 posts, read 135,654 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

Didn't someone posted on this forum that she is interning at some Big fancy hotel for this summer, and is only making just 12 or 14/hr. And asking advise for place to live?

So you got some competition there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2015, 05:57 PM
 
Location: kansas city
678 posts, read 542,450 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
why NYC and not another city with a booming hospitality industry?? NYC is an expensive city. Also, do you have a college degree?

No dont have a college degree ( hence the reason why im moving to new york) like.... oh i dont know me and about a trillion other people who move there every year. and no i cant go to another city NEW YORK CITY has a COLLEGE that i want to go to and since i dont have a car i need to go to a big city with ample transportation so i can save money and not buy a car. hope that meets your needs we all know your soooo important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 06:00 PM
 
Location: kansas city
678 posts, read 542,450 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy00 View Post
Didn't someone posted on this forum that she is interning at some Big fancy hotel for this summer, and is only making just 12 or 14/hr. And asking advise for place to live?

So you got some competition there.

Yknow BIRDY your right how about i just kill my new york dream? would that make you feel better? Ill just get a 9-5 job at a ****ty company work there for 50 years getting paid close to nothing. Thats more like it. More realistic. Give up all hope and have a crappy life because fighting to have a better one would be crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 AM
 
147 posts, read 135,654 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Yknow BIRDY your right how about i just kill my new york dream? would that make you feel better? Ill just get a 9-5 job at a ****ty company work there for 50 years getting paid close to nothing. Thats more like it. More realistic. Give up all hope and have a crappy life because fighting to have a better one would be crazy.
Hey, trying to look out for you, last thing I want is another dude sleep and protesting in zuccotti park because he is making around 12/hr and can barely afford rent.

If you didn't NYC have plenty of unskilled labor, what I mean is people without a degree or limited english.

You think that you can get a better paying job than those who are doing 9-5 jobs? Well you can if you want to be hustler, but we got plenty of those ppl as well, lots of competition here. Anyways goodluck! Welcome to New Yorrk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 03:58 PM
 
8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
Reputation: 10182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
indeed.com craigslst
looking at jobs within my company
just got a linked in too and ill create a monster online application too
dd i leave out anything?
Well, it sounds as if you haven't bothered to check out the actual hotels, not even the chains. That to me sounds like an obvious path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 03:07 PM
 
8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
Reputation: 10182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, it sounds as if you haven't bothered to check out the actual hotels, not even the chains. That to me sounds like an obvious path.
In case this wasn't clear - although I don't know how much clearer it could be - look at every major hotel chain that has a location in NYC, like Marriott, and find out if they have their own websites. That to me would be a totally basic obvious step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 PM
 
6,804 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Reputation: 7594
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
No dont have a college degree ( hence the reason why im moving to new york) like.... oh i dont know me and about a trillion other people who move there every year. and no i cant go to another city NEW YORK CITY has a COLLEGE that i want to go to and since i dont have a car i need to go to a big city with ample transportation so i can save money and not buy a car. hope that meets your needs we all know your soooo important.
you didn't state anything about coming to NYC for a college degree. Not sure why you are lashing out at people trying to give you sound advise. NYC is expensive and you have a LOT of competition for hospitality jobs. You're not going to save a lot of money with a hospitality job and attending a college in NYC. You need a reality check.

Why aren't you attending college where you live now? Are there any open positions in the hotel chain that you work at in major cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 12:56 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
6,037 posts, read 6,076,947 times
Reputation: 4754
It's been awhile since I've worried about college related BS, but don't you have to establish residency in a state and live there for a year before you can qualify for in state tuition at public schools? (Not applicable to private ones obviously)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
6,037 posts, read 6,076,947 times
Reputation: 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
So
heres the deal, Ill be visiting NYC August 24-27 this year to look for work. Generally im looking for something entry level ( i dont have any experience to get a high paying 100k ) right now im just looking to get my foot in the door. I have 3 years of hotel experience so i want to go that route or anything in the realm of customer service ( restaurants, bars, hotels, airports, cashier, retail). work at a hotel So I CAN transfer i will have some interviews lined up (at least 1-2) but i like to be PREPARED so i also want to interview with the employment agencies, Scouring the web for jobs. Thinking about doing this a week in advance and letting them know i will be there on those days and would love to have an interview with them in person. personally i just feel better shaking hands making them smile and letting them know im serious and ready to work. I browse craigslist and from the description it looks like they are hiring immediately. Just need to know if i should take another route. ive heard mixed reviews about employment agencies. But just need to know if this sounds like a good plan.
Just ask if you can transfer with your current company. Try to stay long enough to not make it look like you just used them to get somewhere, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 01:35 PM
 
6,804 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Reputation: 7594
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's been awhile since I've worried about college related BS, but don't you have to establish residency in a state and live there for a year before you can qualify for in state tuition at public schools? (Not applicable to private ones obviously)
i believe it's 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top