U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,661 times

Advertisements

Hello,

SO, i moved in to a nice 1st floor duplex in NYC. The bedrooms are in the "basement" of the unit. Of course the apt has stairs in the inside leading to them.

my first week of moving in it rained like crazy and i discovered that about 1 foot of water would flood the basement, now turned into bedrooms for my unit. All the pipes and plumbing are not visible because they managed to hide it behind the walls, but yet a big portion of the ceiling has about 12*5 ft hump where the pipes are. After losing all my new ikea furniture due to mold and water damage the management company discovered after opening that "hump" that the cap to the roof drain was missing. I questioned the management company and they said that i needed to have renters insurance and that they couldnt help me. It would then be insurance fraud had i gotten the renters insurance and then make a claim. (which i didnt)

months later i started hearing drips on that same "hump" that later on ended up ripping through the wall and poured water all over what was below it. I called and they came and fixed it. They said the water pipe for my bathtub, which happens to be above that area was leaking. No damages done;

Thinking the issue was fixed i then started using that area to put my macbook pro (which is connected to a ceiling projector). On sunday after retuening back from mothers day dinner with my wife i found yet another leak, and my macbook completely wet. I thought that i could just dry it off and it'll be good. Wrong, the computer turned off after 15 minutes of use and wont turn on. I then called the management company and spoke to the owner. I told him about the issue. They still havent fixed it and he again said he cant help in replacing my mac.

This time i learned my lesson and signed up for renters insurance for 15 bucks a month fearing for the worst from these people. I asked for a reimbursement or rent reduction for the 500 deductible and they denied it.

After doing research i've found many mixed messages as to what they are and arent responsible for. This time i can prove negligence with photos and such. What issues do you guys foresee legally with me chasing after my 500 dollars and possible my previous issue.

TNX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:31 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,154,796 times
I don't have an answer to your question, sorry. But I'd suggest moving. But first check if the apt is legal.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 AM

20,131 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, sorry. But I'd suggest moving. But first check if the apt is legal.
If NOT legal, stop paying rent until you recoup ALL your losses and then move.

If legal, eat the loss and move. It does not pay to try to recover, $500, $1000, or even $2000.
It sounds like a place where you will have nothing but aggravation.

There are many reasons why you do not want to live in a "basement" in New York City. And of course, coupling that with a slimy landlord, typical, can be a nightmare.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:35 AM

15,228 posts, read 23,749,578 times
when will people learn, and this goes for tenants and land lords.......

BASEMENTS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE HABITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 AM

2,336 posts, read 3,324,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

That's true but was the basement being listed as the bedroom? Or is the tenant just using it that way? There might be a difference. For example, I have first floor duplex with lower level. It's labeled as a "storage unit" on the floor plan because it's not intended to be habitable. However, if I wanted, I could stick my bed down there and make it a bedroom. That's not what it's supposed to be but I can do it. I just couldn't rent out that space to someone as a bedroom.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,462,746 times
My condo has ten basement level apartments. We call them "garden Apartments" They are only like three feet below sidewalk level..

However, in Sandy and other storms you quickly realize that as little as a six inch flood on street will leave three feet six inches of water in your condo and in morning the three feet left needs to be pumped out. In sandy we had three feet of water near building.Not so bad till you realize that is six feet of water in lower level units.

And yes they have a CO and are totally habitable. Personally, Even on ground level I would like to be at least a few inches up. Even flat on ground means rainwater can flow right in.

All ten are owned and occupied right now. Why they rent for like $400 a month less than uppers

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,462,746 times
My rental I put the tenant MUST maintain insurance for his own property AKA renters insurance. I dont check if they do or dont. But it is standard in most contracts.

I actually have contents insurance on unit myself but I rent it partially furnished so that is for me. How would I know what tenant has in there?

Old 05-15-2015, 06:12 AM

20,131 posts, read 26,416,255 times
If a tenant has or has or does not have renter's insurance, that in no way mitigates the damage caused by landlord negligence or code violation.

And, of course, flood insurance is separate insurance entirely.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:26 PM

1,369 posts, read 828,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonilla View Post
Hello,

SO, i moved in to a nice 1st floor duplex in NYC. The bedrooms are in the "basement" of the unit. Of course the apt has stairs in the inside leading to them.

my first week of moving in it rained like crazy and i discovered that about 1 foot of water would flood the basement, now turned into bedrooms for my unit. All the pipes and plumbing are not visible because they managed to hide it behind the walls, but yet a big portion of the ceiling has about 12*5 ft hump where the pipes are. After losing all my new ikea furniture due to mold and water damage the management company discovered after opening that "hump" that the cap to the roof drain was missing. I questioned the management company and they said that i needed to have renters insurance and that they couldnt help me. It would then be insurance fraud had i gotten the renters insurance and then make a claim. (which i didnt)

months later i started hearing drips on that same "hump" that later on ended up ripping through the wall and poured water all over what was below it. I called and they came and fixed it. They said the water pipe for my bathtub, which happens to be above that area was leaking. No damages done;

Thinking the issue was fixed i then started using that area to put my macbook pro (which is connected to a ceiling projector). On sunday after retuening back from mothers day dinner with my wife i found yet another leak, and my macbook completely wet. I thought that i could just dry it off and it'll be good. Wrong, the computer turned off after 15 minutes of use and wont turn on. I then called the management company and spoke to the owner. I told him about the issue. They still havent fixed it and he again said he cant help in replacing my mac.

This time i learned my lesson and signed up for renters insurance for 15 bucks a month fearing for the worst from these people. I asked for a reimbursement or rent reduction for the 500 deductible and they denied it.

After doing research i've found many mixed messages as to what they are and arent responsible for. This time i can prove negligence with photos and such. What issues do you guys foresee legally with me chasing after my 500 dollars and possible my previous issue.

TNX
Take that crook to housing court he is liable for your cost don't pay any more rent until you reach the amount he owes you.
And rental ins.can drop you if you start claiming ,lost every three days have evidences with you pictures of the pipes and flood.
Pictures of your damaged belongings,your lease because your having to many problems to soon.and you also need proof.
Of what you paid for your belongings.you don't need an attorney in housing court they just take your money and won't help.
Legal aide won't help either.they may say their too busy, represent your self is call pros'e I did it and won.I asked for trail
This is when you get to speak to the judge don't settle in the mediation room,because that crooket landlord might not keep,
His word.if you do trail the judge makes the decision,and that's what counts,your apt.might not be legal,let the judge deside,
Just remember that you have the right to ask for a trail.And don't let that slum crooket landlord bully you,Good luck 😇

Old 05-18-2015, 06:34 PM

1,369 posts, read 828,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Agree 100%, 😮
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or