Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:05 AM

103 posts, read 162,311 times

Advertisements

ok, but how do you suggest ordering online from a place like seamless and putting $0 for tip, but you intend to give the tip to them in person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:32 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,611 times
Putting in 0 for the tip. Tipping the delivery person in person.

Which part is confusing you?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:40 AM

103 posts, read 162,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Putting in 0 for the tip. Tipping the delivery person in person.

Which part is confusing you?
yea, i would trust the food I get after putting a $0 tip beforehand

Old 05-13-2015, 08:56 AM

279 posts, read 521,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
You raise a good point. There is a place I order delivery from that seems to make sure that food is nice and hot when I put my tip in advance via credit card or I get other extra perks from time to time. I generally tip on a credit card. The delivery person can clearly see the tip on the receipt and quite frankly, I usually don't have change to tip in cash. If I have to tip in cash, then I give whatever I have, which may not be much since I don't carry much cash on me to begin with, but I tend to tip much more generously (usually 20% depending on the difficulty of the delivery) when I tip on a card.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:05 AM

237 posts, read 329,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
never ordered from seamless, etc..but is there a "notes" section on the online form? you can always type in "cash tip' plus, if you order regularly, the delivery guys will know you're a good tipper.

every person who works in the service industry keeps track of good tippers.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:08 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,804 times
I don't purchase TO, online or otherwise, but like OP I sense a trend of servers feeling so entitled they don't acknowledge a tip with a 'thank you' as often as in the past.

Since 'tip creep' has gotten on my nerves as well, I have responded by throttling back my tipping, which seemed to be getting out of hand, to %15-18%, only occasionally exceeding this.

It is NOT so much about saving money, but maintaining control over a practice that I feel has gotten out of hand.

PS this doesn't apply to small but server-intense breakfasts, where the tip on a small bill would warrant at least %20.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:11 AM

279 posts, read 521,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I don't purchase TO, online or otherwise, but like OP I sense a trend of servers feeling so entitled they don't acknowledge a tip with a 'thank you' as often as in the past.

Since 'tip creep' has gotten on my nerves as well, I have responded by throttling back my tipping, which seemed to be getting out of hand, to %15-18%, only occasionally exceeding this.

It is NOT so much about saving money, but maintaining control over a practice that I feel has gotten out of hand.

PS this doesn't apply to small but server-intense breakfasts, where the tip on a small bill would warrant at least %20.
I still believe in tipping the old way, based on merit. I am not tipping if my delivery is an hour plus late, but some guys feel that they're entitled to a tip regardless, which is just not the case.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:19 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
You raise a good point. There is a place I order delivery from that seems to make sure that food is nice and hot when I put my tip in advance via credit card or I get other extra perks from time to time. I generally tip on a credit card. The delivery person can clearly see the tip on the receipt and quite frankly, I usually don't have change to tip in cash. If I have to tip in cash, then I give whatever I have, which may not be much since I don't carry much cash on me to begin with, but I tend to tip much more generously (usually 20% depending on the difficulty of the delivery) when I tip on a card.
This. I'm part of the "don't carry a lot of cash" generation and tip on my card. For Seamless and the like, the tip amount is clearly listed on the receipt. In fact, the reason I like services like Seamless is because it *is* seamless- my card is already synched to the app and I can order, pay, and tip easily. Having to find cash for a tip defeats the purpose of making it easy!

Also, on the whole tipping thing, although I always do it for food (delivery and servers) my BF pointed out the lunacy that patrons are basically forced to pay the wages of delivery/servers instead of having their employers pay them a suitable (or most likely at least minimum) wage.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:45 PM

259 posts, read 268,323 times
Tips don't often reach employees, which is why a lot of people give cash in-person.

In NYS, and a lot of other states, it is illegal for management to dip into tips:
http://www.labor.state.ny.us/formsdo...204.PDF#page=1

Old 05-13-2015, 03:40 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
If you are tipping online, maybe they don't even know.

You tip 22% for delivery? That seems nuts to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City