U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 AM

250 posts, read 217,926 times

Advertisements

While I am in full support of vision zero and his Pre K initiative, I don't think he is a good effective mayor. Not bad as in devilish way but in a sort of Gomer Pyle kind of way. It's becoming increasingly clear that he has some major flaws and those flaws have little to do with the NYPD, but some of his ties to real estate industry, (some say he's in their pockets) his amateurish politicking with state politics which one can say it led to a Republican lead majority in the assembly and this growing uptick in shootings across the city that he thinks he can fix without adding 1,000 more cops. Public schools are having a funding shortfall from private donors because they feel he has not being supportive of them. And now this tour across the country about income inequality which I agree but when he talks about it, sounds like a bunch of idealism. If he is going to position himself as a person on the left, that nice for him but it's like pissing in the wind. He doesn't have any allies in the state to enact his agenda. Whenever he goes to Albany to ask for money, the Republicans will tell him to go kick rocks. And lets no forget the bizarre attention he gave toward horse drawn carriages which backfired. No one batted an eye when he went mentioned horse drawn carriages. WTF?

Anyone here feel as though De Blasio is just not ready for prime time? If he loses, I hope it's to someone more competent and not a Republican. 2017 is not too far off the distance and so far I foresee a load of obstacles for this city and this mayor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 01:20 AM

14,814 posts, read 17,417,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
While I am in full support of vision zero and his Pre K initiative, I don't think he is a good effective mayor. Not bad as in devilish way but in a sort of Gomer Pyle kind of way. It's becoming increasingly clear that he has some major flaws and those flaws have little to do with the NYPD, but some of his ties to real estate industry, (some say he's in their pockets) his amateurish politicking with state politics which one can say it led to a Republican lead majority in the assembly and this growing uptick in shootings across the city that he thinks he can fix without adding 1,000 more cops. Public schools are having a funding shortfall from private donors because they feel he has not being supportive of them. And now this tour across the country about income inequality which I agree but when he talks about it, sounds like a bunch of idealism. If he is going to position himself as a person on the left, that nice for him but it's like pissing in the wind. He doesn't have any allies in the state to enact his agenda. Whenever he goes to Albany to ask for money, the Republicans will tell him to go kick rocks. And lets no forget the bizarre attention he gave toward horse drawn carriages which backfired. No one batted an eye when he went mentioned horse drawn carriages. WTF?

Anyone here feel as though De Blasio is just not ready for prime time? If he loses, I hope it's to someone more competent and not a Republican. 2017 is not too far off the distance and so far I foresee a load of obstacles for this city and this mayor.
He is more at odds with wall Street led Democrat Governor Cuomo who he does not get along with.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:05 AM

251 posts, read 148,421 times
25mph is too slow. It's not Vision Zero, it's zero vision.

That's probably why he's late all the time, he's stuck behind someone doing 25mph.

deBlasio late AGAIN!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:30 AM

15,231 posts, read 23,764,219 times
I agree, 25 is too slow.
it isnt the speed that is killing people, its the dumb people NOT paying attention.

How many times have we all seen the dumb mother texting while crossing a major street while strolling a baby carriage. I have seen this numorous times.

If the people would put the phones down for a second we wouldnt need 25 speed limit.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:32 AM

23,260 posts, read 16,070,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
He is more at odds with wall Street led Democrat Governor Cuomo who he does not get along with.
In two years we will know if he gets reelected or is an one term mayor.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:14 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeynutcocopuffs View Post
25mph is too slow. It's not Vision Zero, it's zero vision.

That's probably why he's late all the time, he's stuck behind someone doing 25mph.

deBlasio late AGAIN!
Good one

I still got like 30-35 mph on most major streets. I agree that 25 mph is way too slow. Many places in America seem to be slowing increasing their speed limits due to the advancement of vehicles, we seem to be the only place that's lowering it. As far as I'm concerned it's only lower to give yet even more speed tickets out for the city, another blow to the shrinking middle class.

Hopefully whatever mayor replaces DeBlasio [which hopefully will be in 2 years] will put it back to 30.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 AM

3,337 posts, read 3,128,323 times
If it took you this long to reflect and fig out some of the major defects of him as a leader, well, I don't know what to say to you...

Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 AM

11,828 posts, read 7,704,170 times
DeBlasio is just a small time politician similar to many corporate middle managers that went creative sometimes and don't get the big picture.

He should move to NJ and become major in a small NJ town such as Bergen County that has the ridiculous blue law that restricts businesses from opening on Sundays. Try doing that in NYC and watch the popularity take a big nosedive.

His popularity already nosedived. One term mayor for sure.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:30 PM

9,832 posts, read 21,502,982 times
I think he's been okay. He took a big leap up to become mayor and has definitely looked a little not ready for the big leagues yet. I think he was a bit naive in thinking he'd be able to get a lot more of his progressive agenda done. Didn't take into account nyc and state politics, especially working with a governor like Cuomo who never wants anyone to get the last word in over him.

But he's been good enough to deserve another term in my opinion. He's less corrupt than most politicians and does genuinely care more about working people, etc. I think he'll do better in his second term. It's not a ringing endorsement on my part but I really don't think there is a better alternative out there. A typical party democrat would be worse.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:54 PM

15,231 posts, read 23,764,219 times
the only thing he did for me so far was give us 2 extra sick days, bloomberg never did anything like that.

I am waiting for deblasio to sign off for banning the tourist helicopters that guilainni banned for quality of life issues but bloomberg reinstated because he was a greedy money hungy ** and did not care about anyones quality of life.''yes, noise is pollution, and we have enough on land we dont need it in the air as well

deblasio will be a one term mayor. hopefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or