U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM

3,558 posts, read 3,683,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
I know the stores in Buffalo area the best. When my husband interviewed there for a job, the hiring committee showed me Wegman's to convince us to move there. On that day, some construction was occurring that hampered their usual nursing home clientele (nearby) from walking over to buy their homemade soups, served from barrels. So they bussed people to their other store, so the seniors wouldn't miss their soups.

They are reknown for store policies that treat their employees well. For example, when a student employee had exams at school, he could ask for scheduling ease on work-shifts, with no penalty if it was for an educational reason. Who else does that?

Sometimes I'd ask teenaged checkout clerks "do you like working here" and always the answer was an enthusiastic "Yes."

They had a drive-up free service where a kid loads your bagged groceries under an awning, into the trunk or main body of a car, with a sign stating "no tipping." Excellent on snow days, or for disabled and elderly shoppers.

Sushi chefs.

They ran many community give-back programs, for example, a big cart at check-out area during back-to-school week. Signs encouraged suburban shoppers to buy extra school supplies to drop there. Wegman's delivered those to the neediest schools in the region.

Rest of the year, they used same bins to encourage shoppers to drop a few newly bought cans there, which Wegmans delivered to Food Pantry for homeless.

Big recycling machines for returning empty bottles for cash.

Jazz bands on Friday nights. You could go upstairs with whatever you'd bought, sit in a cafe setting, listen to the band and meet friends.

Free scooters for anyone tired or disabled, to shop. If someone already uses a wheelchair, they don't need this. But plenty of people are just recovering from some surgery, or get fatigued. This is a big deal, to be able to finish a big grocery shop using borrowed wheels.

One check-out line without any last-minute impulse snack-sweet grabs. The moms with cranky toddlers, or people on diets, used them.

No bad music piped through the store. No announcements.

On Thanksgiving, if you'd bought more than $100 there during the calendar year (evident from credit or debit card records) you got a free turkey, or could donate yours to the Food Pantry instead.
Sounds like a slightly better version of shoprite, with the same shopping amenities... the one that already exists in Brooklyn... ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 08:54 PM

12,206 posts, read 8,193,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Wegmans isn't a grocery store... it's a lifestyle.
Up there with Wawa for life changing big box retailers.

God bless mommy and daddy... and Wegmans.

This is -not- a sarcastic post. I truly believe Wegman's to be one of the greatest markets in the world.
Nope not even close, you haven't been outside the country for sure. Here in NJ, I have access to Wegman's Wholefoods, and a Super Shoprite nearby. I actually go to Shoprite more because Wegman's Seafoods is just simply overpriced. The meat section of Wegman's is not that great either. I often have to run over to Shoprite.

The sushi at Wegman's is overpriced and not that great compared to Wholefood's.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:10 PM

10,464 posts, read 5,710,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Nope not even close, you haven't been outside the country for sure. Here in NJ, I have access to Wegman's Wholefoods, and a Super Shoprite nearby. I actually go to Shoprite more because Wegman's Seafoods is just simply overpriced. The meat section of Wegman's is not that great either. I often have to run over to Shoprite.

Really? When I lived in Ithaca, the sushi was the cheapest in town and was award-winning!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:14 AM

510 posts, read 1,196,261 times
Here you go:

Wegmans named best grocery in America - Business Insider

That sums it up pretty well.

My favorite thing about Wegmans is that they have really high-quality store brand items that are VERY affordable. (Think whole foods, but literally half the price).

They also have really great fresh produce- consistently the most fresh and most affordable among the supermarkets in the places that I've lived that have had a Wegmans.

So, in summary: A huge selection, super friendly staff, really clean stores, very affordable prices, a great selection of store-brand specialty items, a large organic section, very fresh produce, tons of yummy prepared foods, an on-site bakery, a large craft beer section, and a family-owned company that still operates with the goal of improving customer satisfaction and shopping experience rather than just profiting from us.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:20 AM

770 posts, read 701,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I prefer Pricechopper.

There's not even a comparison.

Price Chopper is a really generic, plain Jane, run of the mill supermarket.

Wegman's is by and large the best supermarket chain in the US.

Similar to Whole Foods in terms of what is offered, but not overpriced and they don't go out of their way to maintain a far left liberal image by only hiring ethnic minorities like Whole Food does.

Best thing about Wegmans is their beer department.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:03 AM

4,424 posts, read 3,752,662 times
I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Wegman's

Old 05-17-2015, 06:18 AM

15,559 posts, read 18,069,022 times
What's Wegmans?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:21 AM

3,510 posts, read 3,665,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

ShopRite is garbage.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:27 AM

9,841 posts, read 21,853,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
There's not even a comparison.

Price Chopper is a really generic, plain Jane, run of the mill supermarket.

Wegman's is by and large the best supermarket chain in the US.

Similar to Whole Foods in terms of what is offered, but not overpriced and they don't go out of their way to maintain a far left liberal image by only hiring ethnic minorities like Whole Food does.

Best thing about Wegmans is their beer department.
It's amazing how some posters even manage to go there in a discussion about supermarkets.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:44 PM

301 posts, read 1,172,634 times
Wegmans: A store that sells food to the general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City