U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 PM

18 posts, read 9,332 times

Advertisements

pgb,
I had my ipad stolen from a McDonalds in the financial district, possibly by an employee there with an accomplice. I was rushing and lacking in sleep. So stupidly left my ipad at the cash register area after placing a food order and went for a straw for my drink to the left of the cash register section. I walked out without realizing I had left the ipad behind since the ipad was no longer there when I went back to the counter to pick up my food. Just grabbed my food and walked out.

I Realized later and called the McDonalds. Employee claimed she picked up the ipad and gave it to a man who came in asking for the ipad around half an hour? after I left. I reported to the Police Precinct covering that area. Asked the detective if they have video camera at the McDonalds. He said yes and would follow up. I never heard back from the detective and I got no adequate response when I called back ( something to the effect that the detective was too busy). I also heard that the McDonalds was one the cops frequent from the precinct covering that jurisdiction.

I say, the cops have no interest in trying to bring justice in your case, as in mine. So, yes, move on. Fortunately, the ipad was covered by a good insurance policy ( full replacement value). This episode and other theft/ fraud incidents at the Jersey shore and in Long Island convinced me cops have no time for or concern with the "minor" crimes. I am just relieved I have not had to deal with cops on more serious issues!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 PM

480 posts, read 771,103 times
I'm sorry, you guys must be transplants. Yeah, NYC cops don't care like that.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:59 PM

18 posts, read 9,332 times
Ha, not a transplant. Grew up in NYC. Dad was an auxiliary police leader who actually cared about dealing with different kinds of crime in the community. But I never had to deal with NYC cops directly until I returned to NYC recently. I experienced cops as complacent in both NY and NJ when it comes to crimes of theft and "minor" fraud.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:22 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,194,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb205 View Post
and maybe speak to someone in port authority or even administration of vz bridge or ezpass
The Port Authority does not run the VZ bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb205 View Post
PS: And yes the initial report WAS filed as 'petit larceny'
Because it is petit larceny. You could try to argue that an EZ-Pass is actually a debit card, which would make it grand larceny, since you load it with money that can later be taken off, but that's stretching it.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 AM

147 posts, read 135,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolving View Post
Ha, not a transplant. Grew up in NYC. Dad was an auxiliary police leader who actually cared about dealing with different kinds of crime in the community. But I never had to deal with NYC cops directly until I returned to NYC recently. I experienced cops as complacent in both NY and NJ when it comes to crimes of theft and "minor" fraud.
I watch a story on channel 7 or 4 local news about some dude decide to try confronted the person who stole his Iphone. Because he has GPS tracking app, he was able to do that, but he got as far as getting to the building where it was located at. The reason why it also made the news is because he first complain to the cops and said they wouldn't do anything about it.

So, even if you are able to help the police into catch the person who has your Iphone or Ipad, doubt they'll show much interest in it... They rather go after the druggies.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:47 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,495,289 times
They stealing ez passes now?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,915,472 times
Now that you have the perps license plate try to track them down. You might have to pay some money to get this done. Once you find them inflict some vigilante justice on them. Slash their tires and break their windows. Then put a note on their windshield that says "thanks for breaking into my car and stealing my ezpass".

If you really want to do society a favor, stakeout the perp and when you find him clock him over the head with a bat. That should ring his bell. Try to be discrete in order to avoid getting caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City