Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 PM

18 posts, read 22,072 times

Advertisements

I have already filed a police report.

I found out because new charges kept popping up on my ezpass account even though I havent been driving. The person keeps going over the Verazanno Bridge at the same time of the day. My plan is to not cancel my ezpass tag yet, and maybe speak to someone in port authority or even administration of vz bridge or ezpass. It seems that it should be easy to narrow the person down based on my ezpass tag (unless he somehow uses false license plates as well).

What I wanted is to ask for an advise on how to better handle this situation if anyone can share similar experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:53 PM

3,933 posts, read 5,036,525 times
Hopefully your EZ pass is tied to your credit card because then you can dispute the charges.
The odds are SLIM that the cops will look into this unless you escalate the situation.

Tell them your EZ pass was taken at gunpoint by a (insert current most feared ethnicity tied to terrorism here) who had a slew of license plates and EZ passes in his car. You suspect foul play.

Then they might check.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:08 PM

18 posts, read 22,072 times
im not worried about charges. Cops said i can call ezpass and give them police report # and ezpass will rescind anything that was charged. So I'm not worried about that. Feels like it would be piece of cake to nab this guy just wait for the tag number to popup and crossrference with the plate number.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 PM

102 posts, read 144,929 times
Never underestimate the laziness of government workers---including police. I was a victim of an attempted mugging, which I'd say is a more serious crime than mere property theft. The police wanted nothing to do with investigating the crime, stonewalled, and then threatened me. Plus, I think you'd be relying on the TBTA primarily. Forget about it and get your money back.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:28 PM

5,841 posts, read 3,259,428 times
Call the cops and file a complaint report. You will need the complaint report number when you call up ez pass and cancel it. It will also protect you from ez pass charges.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:35 PM

147 posts, read 196,699 times
Op, I know you want justice or vengenace... but you heard of "cops have better things to do than to..."

Just get that ezpass canceled and move on your way.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:26 AM

415 posts, read 510,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb205 View Post

I found out because new charges kept popping up on my ezpass account even though I havent been driving. The person keeps going over the Verazanno Bridge at the same time of the day. My plan is to not cancel my ezpass tag yet, and maybe speak to someone in port authority or even administration of vz bridge or ezpass. It seems that it should be easy to narrow the person down based on my ezpass tag (unless he somehow uses false license plates as well).

What I wanted is to ask for an advise on how to better handle this situation if anyone can share similar experiences.
Make sure that your "police report" (form 61) correctly identifies the crime which is grand larceny, not petit larceny.

The police cook the books on crime reports to artificially underreport crime. If you want more patrol in your sector, you need to make certain this isn't knocked down to a petty crime.

This is very important for you to do. Don't let them bully you or push you around, ok?

It's for the common good. Sorry about your loss,

Old 05-14-2015, 02:42 AM

31,615 posts, read 26,458,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb205 View Post

Let me see if I have this straight; someone broke into your car and stole your EZ-Pass and is racking up charges daily. Rather than do the sensible and correct thing which is to notify EZ-Pass at once and have them sort it out you want to play Junior NYPD Detective.

I'll tell you what; since you have the suspect's MO why don't you mosey over to the VNB and wait for him to pass through? Then you can jump out, grab him and make a citizen's arrest.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:46 PM

147 posts, read 196,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Let me see if I have this straight; someone broke into your car and stole your EZ-Pass and is racking up charges daily. Rather than do the sensible and correct thing which is to notify EZ-Pass at once and have them sort it out you want to play Junior NYPD Detective.

I'll tell you what; since you have the suspect's MO why don't you mosey over to the VNB and wait for him to pass through? Then you can jump out, grab him and make a citizen's arrest.

He doesn't have to make a citizen arrest, there are always police around those bridges waiting to catch someone cutting through solid lines. Just flag them down, you know they have guns, just in case that badguy who got your ez-pass is packing heat.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:55 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,551,344 times
I agree with the other posters. By waiting, you are only allowing this guy to get more free tolls. Report it/ cancel the Ezpass and let the guy get caught in an Ezpass only lane without a functioning device. Get your money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City