U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2015, 02:49 AM
 
Location: London, NYC & LA
842 posts, read 615,325 times
Reputation: 683

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There was certainly the implication that all Jews were one way.

And the topic isn't about Jews. The topic is about how one Hasidic landlord does business in Brooklyn. One Jewish landlord is not ALL Jews. He's just one person.
Sorry can't defend you on this one. This article covers a swathe of issues with regards to the US. Firstly you cannot defend the man's opinions or behaviour regardless of whether they make financial sense. I have said it before, America still is and will probably forever be riven by racial issues. From the historical reasons that have entrenched African American poverty, to the exploitation of their precarious situation by developers it goes to show little has changed. This article reads like one written in the 50s about Levitt homes, where justifications would be given as to why houses couldn't be sold to certain groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2015, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Riverdale, NY
279 posts, read 335,461 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There was certainly the implication that all Jews were one way.

And the topic isn't about Jews. The topic is about how one Hasidic landlord does business in Brooklyn. One Jewish landlord is not ALL Jews. He's just one person.
I didn't imply anything. I said overall, which does not imply all Jews. You just are fixated with your comments:

"There are a lot of uneducated Jewish people in NYC. Even if Jewish people have the highest percentage of advanced degrees (I am not convinced, please supply stats from a legitimate source) of course you would still have a significant population that work low end and poorly paid jobs."

So because you believe that there are a lot of uneducated Jewish people, that automatically means that a sizable amount of them aren't affluent, right? One possibility doesn't automatically equal another.

Furthermore, yes it's about one Hasidic Jew, and how this set up may or may not apply to other Jews, so spare me with the rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 05:39 AM
 
23,252 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Reputation: 8534
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
I didn't imply anything. I said overall, which does not imply all Jews. You just are fixated with your comments:

"There are a lot of uneducated Jewish people in NYC. Even if Jewish people have the highest percentage of advanced degrees (I am not convinced, please supply stats from a legitimate source) of course you would still have a significant population that work low end and poorly paid jobs."

So because you believe that there are a lot of uneducated Jewish people, that automatically means that a sizable amount of them aren't affluent, right? One possibility doesn't automatically equal another.

Furthermore, yes it's about one Hasidic Jew, and how this set up may or may not apply to other Jews, so spare me with the rhetoric.
There are many Jews in NYC that are not affluent, to the extent there are non profit and social service organizations to deal with them. The Jewish Board and JASA among other organizations.

Of course there is Jewish organized crime too.

So yes a sizable percentage of Jewish people in NYC are far from affluent. You'd KNOW that if you KNEW anything about Jewish people in NYC and if you actually interacted with them and saw them outside of RIDICULOUS stereotypes.

The article which was referenced only has the voice of one Hasidic Jew so it cannot apply to other Hasidics or other Jews as it ONLY one person is speaking about what he does. Allegedly one person because he did not leave a name so there's no real way to verify if this is an authentic article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 05:45 AM
 
23,252 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Reputation: 8534
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Sorry can't defend you on this one. This article covers a swathe of issues with regards to the US. Firstly you cannot defend the man's opinions or behaviour regardless of whether they make financial sense. I have said it before, America still is and will probably forever be riven by racial issues. From the historical reasons that have entrenched African American poverty, to the exploitation of their precarious situation by developers it goes to show little has changed. This article reads like one written in the 50s about Levitt homes, where justifications would be given as to why houses couldn't be sold to certain groups.
So one article written by one person about just ONE developer (whose identify is hidden so we can't verify what was said) is the word of LAW?

Please.

The New York Mag should be ASHAMED of itself for publishing this garbage. Of course it sells to their liberal base. Innocent Blacks being ousted by a mean white person from Brooklyn will always sell to people who want to read up on Black victimization. Never mind the fact many of these people are scum and if they left the neighborhood it would be a lot better (see the horrible children fighting in both McDonald's videos including the second one where the thugs threaten to kill a man who tried to stop them). And no I am not calling all Blacks who lived in those neighborhoods that, but clearly that element is there and is a big problem.

Likewise ONE Jewish landlord does not represent ALL JEWISH people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So one article written by one person about just ONE developer (whose identify is hidden so we can't verify what was said) is the word of LAW?

Please.

The New York Mag should be ASHAMED of itself for publishing this garbage. Of course it sells to their liberal base. Innocent Blacks being ousted by a mean white person from Brooklyn will always sell to people who want to read up on Black victimization. Never mind the fact many of these people are scum and if they left the neighborhood it would be a lot better (see the horrible children fighting in both McDonald's videos including the second one where the thugs threaten to kill a man who tried to stop them). And no I am not calling all Blacks who lived in those neighborhoods that, but clearly that element is there and is a big problem.

Likewise ONE Jewish landlord does not represent ALL JEWISH people!
I read the article as being about ONE Hasidic Landlord and his racist business practices. I'm not exactly shocked someone from a Hasidic sect would think that way. They consider their own sects alone to be God's people, many don't even like other Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,139 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Reputation: 9029
"One Hasidic landlord"...yeah right.

That's like saying the cop who was caught was the only cop on the force on the take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:03 AM
 
Location: London, NYC & LA
842 posts, read 615,325 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So one article written by one person about just ONE developer (whose identify is hidden so we can't verify what was said) is the word of LAW?

Please.

The New York Mag should be ASHAMED of itself for publishing this garbage. Of course it sells to their liberal base. Innocent Blacks being ousted by a mean white person from Brooklyn will always sell to people who want to read up on Black victimization. Never mind the fact many of these people are scum and if they left the neighborhood it would be a lot better (see the horrible children fighting in both McDonald's videos including the second one where the thugs threaten to kill a man who tried to stop them). And no I am not calling all Blacks who lived in those neighborhoods that, but clearly that element is there and is a big problem.

Likewise ONE Jewish landlord does not represent ALL JEWISH people!
But the problem is this article is a microcosm of wider changes across the urban economy. Inner city urban land paradoxically in the modern economy has returned to being a valuable commodity. The reasons for this are not clearly understood, but what is clear is that from Echo Park in LA, to Brooklyn to Brixton in London, previously down at heel areas are being gentrified. The developer being described here is part of a wave of developers doing their best through fair means or foul to speed up and profit from this process. Coupled with the racial dimension to this gentrification, this makes their behaviour morally repugnant.

I am puzzled by the self-hating aspects of your commentary. As I alluded to in my earlier post, without reciting African American history there are clear reasons for Ghettos and why the people there behave the way they do (interestingly parallels can be found in other persecuted minorities like Gypsies in Europe or Burakumin in Japan). I am the son of wealthy west african immigrants, my whole world view is entirely different to the people in these areas precisely because of my upbringing. To merely define people who live in this areas as scum is far too simplistic.

As for the Jewish community, it is not anti-semitic to point out that good number of them are property developers. In fact I would say Hasidics often gravitate towards this profession as it relatively less time consuming than running other types of business. This gives them time to pray, go to the synagogue and focus on studying the Torah. To also say that some of them may be unscrupulous is not anti-semtic either, as property developers of all hues bend the rules if they can. Business is a rough and tumble game as you often play lose and fast with things just to keep your business afloat (Anyone who has run a business will know what I mean) . At the end of the day Jewish people like all groups can be racist (which you have not addressed), I have run into the odd Racist jewish person who happily called me a 'Schwartze' assuming that I didnt know what it meant.

This article was an eye-opener even for me. Its not telling me anything I didnt know or suspect, but as a wealthy black person, it reaffirms the reason why I spend the majority of my time in London England, despite having family residences in the US. Mixed race president or not, America will have to address its historical racial injustices or unfair situations like this will continue to occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"One Hasidic landlord"...yeah right.

That's like saying the cop who was caught was the only cop on the force on the take.
I'm sure there are others, just as i'm sure there's hasidic landlords that use fair housing practices also. What's your point? I was talking about the specifics in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:45 AM
 
23,252 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Reputation: 8534
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
But the problem is this article is a microcosm of wider changes across the urban economy. Inner city urban land paradoxically in the modern economy has returned to being a valuable commodity. The reasons for this are not clearly understood, but what is clear is that from Echo Park in LA, to Brooklyn to Brixton in London, previously down at heel areas are being gentrified. The developer being described here is part of a wave of developers doing their best through fair means or foul to speed up and profit from this process. Coupled with the racial dimension to this gentrification, this makes their behaviour morally repugnant.

I am puzzled by the self-hating aspects of your commentary. As I alluded to in my earlier post, without reciting African American history there are clear reasons for Ghettos and why the people there behave the way they do (interestingly parallels can be found in other persecuted minorities like Gypsies in Europe or Burakumin in Japan). I am the son of wealthy west african immigrants, my whole world view is entirely different to the people in these areas precisely because of my upbringing. To merely define people who live in this areas as scum is far too simplistic.

As for the Jewish community, it is not anti-semitic to point out that good number of them are property developers. In fact I would say Hasidics often gravitate towards this profession as it relatively less time consuming than running other types of business. This gives them time to pray, go to the synagogue and focus on studying the Torah. To also say that some of them may be unscrupulous is not anti-semtic either, as property developers of all hues bend the rules if they can. Business is a rough and tumble game as you often play lose and fast with things just to keep your business afloat (Anyone who has run a business will know what I mean) . At the end of the day Jewish people like all groups can be racist (which you have not addressed), I have run into the odd Racist jewish person who happily called me a 'Schwartze' assuming that I didnt know what it meant.

This article was an eye-opener even for me. Its not telling me anything I didnt know or suspect, but as a wealthy black person, it reaffirms the reason why I spend the majority of my time in London England, despite having family residences in the US. Mixed race president or not, America will have to address its historical racial injustices or unfair situations like this will continue to occur.
I do not hate myself. I think highly of myself. I do not identify with ghetto people and there is no one in this world who can make me. I'm also not a psychologist who can give them mental health services.

At the same time who would really want to live in a dangerous neighborhood full of criminals? The parts of Brooklyn being gentrified now had the highest violent crime rate in the city.

Let's not pretend it is upstanding citizens who are being bought out of their apartments for 7k-20k. Let's not pretend it's people with jobs or people who are going to school. These are are hoodlums on welfare. With the gentrification that's going on at least the city will be able to collect more in real estate taxes from these parts of Brooklyn. That benefits the city as a hole.

The article which had only one point of view was an eye opener? Please. The article was a propaganda piece which told people want they already wanted to believe. Poor angelic Blacks are victimized by WICKED JEWS (who all have one mind andwho are all in on the conspiracy).

A good number of property developers and landlords are not Jewish, so it is anti semitic to imply property developer=Jewish or that they are the force behind gentrification. Since the 1990s the national government has given huge tax credits for developers who develop in decayed urban areas. It started with the Clinton administration (was passed by the white CHRISTIAN Republican Congress at the time) and has continued with both the Bush and Obama administrations.

Oh a lot of poor whites have had to move out of neighborhoods like Hells Kitchen, Lower East Side, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, etc but of course an article like the one in this magazine will never mention that. There are many poor whites and many poor Jews who worked jobs with no retirement plan and who had no savings. Upon retirement they have to move to Florida or some other Southern dump.

Of course an article like this will never mention that as it wants to solely focus upon Blacks who apparently are a convenient pet cause (save the Blacks like liberals want to save the whales). It would disrupt the narrative of the story to give balanced coverage to an important issue.

But back to poor whites moving to Florida in old age. If whites are able to live where they can afford what makes you think Blacks have magical rights to live in a neighborhood that they clearly cannot afford? If poor whites can be displaced from Manhattan why do you think Blacks have special rights to stay in Brooklyn?

And many of the Blacks in Brooklyn are not AFRICAN AMERICAN. Many are first or second generation Blacks, the children of Caribbean, African, or Hispanic immigrants. Many of the whites they complain about moving in have been in the US for 5 generations or more. So what makes people who have been here for 30-40 years think they have some special right to a neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do not hate myself. I think highly of myself. I do not identify with ghetto people and there is no one in this world who can make me. I'm also not a psychologist who can give them mental health services.

At the same time who would really want to live in a dangerous neighborhood full of criminals? The parts of Brooklyn being gentrified now had the highest violent crime rate in the city.

Let's not pretend it is upstanding citizens who are being bought out of their apartments for 7k-20k. Let's not pretend it's people with jobs or people who are going to school. These are are hoodlums on welfare. With the gentrification that's going on at least the city will be able to collect more in real estate taxes from these parts of Brooklyn. That benefits the city as a hole.

The article which had only one point of view was an eye opener? Please. The article was a propaganda piece which told people want they already wanted to believe. Poor angelic Blacks are victimized by WICKED JEWS (who all have one mind andwho are all in on the conspiracy).

A good number of property developers and landlords are not Jewish, so it is anti semitic to imply property developer=Jewish or that they are the force behind gentrification. Since the 1990s the national government has given huge tax credits for developers who develop in decayed urban areas. It started with the Clinton administration (was passed by the white CHRISTIAN Republican Congress at the time) and has continued with both the Bush and Obama administrations.

Oh a lot of poor whites have had to move out of neighborhoods like Hells Kitchen, Lower East Side, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, etc but of course an article like the one in this magazine will never mention that. There are many poor whites and many poor Jews who worked jobs with no retirement plan and who had no savings. Upon retirement they have to move to Florida or some other Southern dump.

Of course an article like this will never mention that as it wants to solely focus upon Blacks who apparently are a convenient pet cause (save the Blacks like liberals want to save the whales). It would disrupt the narrative of the story to give balanced coverage to an important issue.

But back to poor whites moving to Florida in old age. If whites are able to live where they can afford what makes you think Blacks have magical rights to live in a neighborhood that they clearly cannot afford? If poor whites can be displaced from Manhattan why do you think Blacks have special rights to stay in Brooklyn?

And many of the Blacks in Brooklyn are not AFRICAN AMERICAN. Many are first or second generation Blacks, the children of Caribbean, African, or Hispanic immigrants. Many of the whites they complain about moving in have been in the US for 5 generations or more. So what makes people who have been here for 30-40 years think they have some special right to a neighborhood?
So what are you saying if it's a factual piece it should not be reported?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top