U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 06:52 AM

84 posts, read 49,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBXTRUCHO View Post
1st Amendment right stupid. LoL
The First Amendment does not protect your right to say whatever you want in any forum of your choice. It protects you from the GOVERNMENT stifling your political speech. This is a private website with rules and conditions, and they have to right to decide what you can and can't say here (just like you have the right to decide what people do and say in your own home). The First Amendment does not apply unless the government is punishing you for your opinions. Learn what things mean before you use them as a defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 07:25 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
I wonder what the reaction would be if the shoe were on the other foot. A building, a market, an entertainment venue with a sign "No Jews allowed?"

Old 05-18-2015, 03:04 AM

842 posts, read 614,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm a secular Jew. If Judaism was only hasidic Jews, we'd be doomed.

I grew up in Brooklyn. I went to a religious school (a Yeshiva up until grade 6). I am intimately familiar with Hasidic Jews. Throughout college I worked summers at a Hasidic owned business. In truth, they are incredibly ignorant and not terribly bright. Can you imagine the teenage children of millionaires not being able to use Google maps? True story.

Take the real estate business for example.They basically lucked into it because of their ignorance. Since they're not terribly educated (on a secular level) and shun the secular world, there is very little chance for them to succeed in anything innovative or new. Therefore, there are only so many businesses that they can even compete in, let alone succeed.

If prostitution is the oldest profession, being a landlord is the oldest business. Back when NYC was a **** hole, Hasidim went into the real estate because it was simple and cheap. It was a business they could understand and succeed in without too much of an education or competition. They bought and held. Not because they knew or thought it'd go up in value but because they didn't have other (better) business options.

Name me 1 innovative Hasidic business? Of all the succesful Hasids I know of, they're in either of these 3 business: Real Estate, retail, import-export.
Exactly, I just don't like talking about the community, because people don't realise how insular and isolated hasidic communities are.

My wife did work for Jewish care in Stamford Hill in London and she marvelled at how it felt like a little village community in a city of millions.

In truth good Hasidic boys and girls are not meant to delve very much into the outside world as a lot it is considered sinful (couldn't think of a better word)

Thats why my wife and I always chuckle about Matisyahu when he first took off, if he was a good Hasidic boy he wouldn't even know about Reggae!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or