U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 PM

6 posts, read 13,255 times

Advertisements

Ever since I ran into a small bedbug problem in my home, I have been very sensitive to my surroundings in my apartment. I don't know if its been like this for a while or I just noticed it, but there is a lot of visible dust floating around my apartment. Like if I turn the flashlight on my phone on and point it anywhere, I will see dust swirling around. And sometimes I notice small fiber like threads that are airborne.

Now, I'm not saying theres a super thick cloud of dust in my apartment thats making it hard to breathe like its a construction site, but it doesn't seem normal. When I stroke my leg hairs and arm hairs, dandruff comes out, but it may also be the dust settling on my body. I've never had dandruff problems, but again, maybe I'm just noticing these things.

I live in a old pre war building, and have some paint chipping on the walls and whatnot, but its not nearly as bad as some homes I've been in with destroyed walls and furniture and whatnot and dogs running around that walk around outside barefoot, and people that walk around their homes with shoes on.

So I would like to please ask you guys to turn the flashlight on your phones, or grab an actual flashlight, and point it at any direction, and please tell me if you see any noticeable dust floating around. Am I driving myself crazy for no reason or do I have a problem?

I don't have central air or air ducts or anything like that so my windows control air flow, and I realize a good deal of dust is coming through them from outside. But if I close all my windows that mean no air flow at all and that cant be good either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 AM

4,658 posts, read 2,392,231 times
You serious? You've only just noticed the world is full of dust and lint? This has been the case since the dawn of time and you don't need to use a flashlight. You can see them when sunlight shines through a window. There's no escaping it. It is everywhere.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:20 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,307,896 times
It's completely normal....

They sell air purifiers if it would make you feel better. I'm not sure how well they work, but you can check out reviews on amazon.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,741,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycer777 View Post
Ever since I ran into a small bedbug problem in my home, I have been very sensitive to my surroundings in my apartment. I don't know if its been like this for a while or I just noticed it, but there is a lot of visible dust floating around my apartment. Like if I turn the flashlight on my phone on and point it anywhere, I will see dust swirling around. And sometimes I notice small fiber like threads that are airborne.

Now, I'm not saying theres a super thick cloud of dust in my apartment thats making it hard to breathe like its a construction site, but it doesn't seem normal. When I stroke my leg hairs and arm hairs, dandruff comes out, but it may also be the dust settling on my body. I've never had dandruff problems, but again, maybe I'm just noticing these things.

I live in a old pre war building, and have some paint chipping on the walls and whatnot, but its not nearly as bad as some homes I've been in with destroyed walls and furniture and whatnot and dogs running around that walk around outside barefoot, and people that walk around their homes with shoes on.

So I would like to please ask you guys to turn the flashlight on your phones, or grab an actual flashlight, and point it at any direction, and please tell me if you see any noticeable dust floating around. Am I driving myself crazy for no reason or do I have a problem?

I don't have central air or air ducts or anything like that so my windows control air flow, and I realize a good deal of dust is coming through them from outside. But if I close all my windows that mean no air flow at all and that cant be good either.
I absolutely cannot believe you've never seen this when a shaft of sunlight comes in the room. Troll.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 AM

9,835 posts, read 21,646,448 times
I think you need to get out of the apartment for a little...

Old 05-14-2015, 08:37 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,453,636 times
If you had a bedbug problem that would make me a little crazy too. Not only is there dust floating in the air but lots of pollution as well. I clean once a week and when I wipe my windowsill the cloth comes off with black. I just try not to think of that accumulating in my lungs.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM

5,460 posts, read 4,253,098 times
I've noticed this white flaky stuff falling out of the sky when it gets cold and it always covers my driveway. Is that normal?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,159,085 times
yeah

Old 05-14-2015, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 13,255 times
Believe it or not, I'm not trolling. I guess the bedbugs episode drove me insane, especially because I put a lot of effort into keeping my home clean. And in certain settings, like shops or whatever, which are highly ventilated and brightly lit, I don't necessarily see the dust as well as I do in my apartment so I began to think maybe my home isn't aired out properly. Like I said, I'm very sensitive to my surroundings now. I go outside and clearly see every little airborne speck

As soon as I'm done fixing my place up I plan to purchase a couple of air filters and see if it makes a difference. But thanks for making me feel like my home isn't abnormal.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM

291 posts, read 352,294 times
It's normal. Most of it is skin cells that flaked off of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or