U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:42 AM

8 posts, read 7,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
For those not aware, you can get a ticket if it's your driveway OR if it's the sidewalk in front of your house. We got a ticket once when someone left litter on the sidewalk in front of our house while at work. Also $100. We just paid it because there was really nothing we could do.
That sucks and so unfair. In my case I had video evidence that I made what I thought was a "reasonable" attempt to clean up my area two times before I left for work in the morning and under extremely windy conditions where litter was just blowing all around the block. I wasn't denying that litter wasn't on my private driveway but what could any homeowner with a full time job do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 12:47 PM

155 posts, read 320,207 times
Call the News. Especially if you have video.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:08 PM

1,846 posts, read 1,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz07 View Post
I was not even aware of this NYC Dirty Area rule myself until this incident but it didnt matter that the litter was in my private driveway. As long as the agent can see the litter on the private property from the public street, they can write a ticket during two specific times during the day (8:00 AM to 8:59 AM and 6:00 PM to 6:59 PM).

Still waiting to see the written decision from the judge on why my video evidence of cleaning up before the ticket was not enough to get it dismissed.
How much litter was there, was it a stray newspaper or something that would have filled a garbage can?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman357 View Post
Call the News. Especially if you have video.
I am not looking to turn this into an even bigger deal. Just not happy that I got stuck with a ticket when I can walk thru my neighborhood and see many cases of properties not even making any attempts to keep their area clean. I at least did try to clean.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
How much litter was there, was it a stray newspaper or something that would have filled a garbage can?
I honesty don't recall how much litter there was when I got home that night. As part of my normal daily routine, I just clean whatever had accumulated during the day when I get home at night. All I know was that it was an extremely windy morning and I could had stood there on the sidewalk all morning cleaning the litter blowing around the block.

So just to update. Finally got the written response in the mail today and it basically states that I failed to establish a defense by showing that I made a daily reasonable attempt to maintain the premises clean. It did acknowledge my video evidence and that it shows I was sweeping the sidewalk that morning, but that most of the garbage remained there after I finished sweeping. That was not totally true as litter was just flying around. As I swept one area, more litter blew to the same spot. The decision also states that the video did not show me cleaning the driveway ( the area of the violation ). Well guess what, at the time I was home sweeping, there was almost no litter in my driveway. Also the angle of my home security camera doesn't cover the whole driveway and you can't see the bottom of the driveway where I would had been cleaning. Whatever the agent saw in my driveway was due to additional litter that blew in after I left for work. Anyway just still pissed that the hearing officer would acknowledge that the video shows I was cleaning the sidewalk but would still state that there is no evidence that I also clean my driveway.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 AM

4,246 posts, read 6,389,213 times
This ridiculously stupid problem would take care of itself if people just pick up their damn trash & don't litter! Personal responsibility is out the window & governments prefer to do easy revenue generation instead of actually doing something useful.

Makes me want to puke in the judge's face like that one intoxicated baseball fan did on a little girl a few years ago. Disgusting!

And I second the "Call the news" advice. The government wants to screw with citizens. Let the citizens screw 'em right back. If the agent was so concerned about litter, why didn't he start picking stuff up? Hint: his job isn't about cleaning up NYC. It's about generating revenue. Why else would he be out there on Winnie the Pooh's blustery day? Hint, hint!

Old 05-25-2015, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 2,881 times
The city should direct more of their efforts into ticketing those who put litter on the streets to begin with and not those who must clean up after them...They would definitely generate more revenue for the city that way. Ive seen people who dump their garbage on the streets in sight of garbage pails or throw trash out of their car windows and lets not forget the ones who don't clean up after their animals..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or