U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2015, 03:27 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,033 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I received a $100 sanitation ticket for my house in Brooklyn a few months ago for "violating" the Dirty Area rule. It happened to be a very windy day with litter blowing all around the block and apparently there was litter that accumulated in my driveway when the agent came by in the morning and while I was away at work. I went to the ECB hearing and presented video evidences from my home security camera showing that on the day of the violation, I actually swept the front of my house and driveway TWICE in the morning before I left for work. My limited understanding of the city laws is that the homeowner must make a reasonable attempt to clean if they have a full time job. So I swept my area two times before I left for work while litter was blowing around the street and before the agent came by to write up a ticket and the hearing judge still ruled against me. If that wasn't enough of a "reasonable' attempt to clean one's property, then I don't know what the city expected from me other than staying home 24/7 to clean up every single litter on the street. I am going to appeal and still waiting for the city to mail me the written report on why the judge ruled against me, but I am so mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2015, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, not Paris. #MAGA.
9,693 posts, read 5,296,984 times
Reputation: 9671
That does sound unfair, especially in light of the appeal. If things are as you claim, you should have an easy appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 04:49 PM
 
Location: NYC
516 posts, read 651,035 times
Reputation: 586
Just pay the ticket. Think of the time that you have already spent and are going to spend in the future worrying about a stupid ticket.

Your valuable time > $100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 05:15 PM
 
2,853 posts, read 6,263,952 times
Reputation: 1636
With time stamped security footage, I'm surprised that you lost. Does the city expect people to take time off of work on windy days to go check their property? Strange. I would appeal if possible and I'm curious what their written explanation is for rejecting your evidence. Maybe the judge was having a bad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 06:15 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,033 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That does sound unfair, especially in light of the appeal. If things are as you claim, you should have an easy appeal.
What I said was exactly what happened. It was an extremely windy morning with litter just flying across the sidewalks. I did sweep my area twice before I left for work and before the ticket was issued. I walk into the hearing with my video evidence expecting to end up with a dismissal and was shocked to finally learn the judge ruled against me. After all this, I have no faith that I will have an easy appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,033 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Just pay the ticket. Think of the time that you have already spent and are going to spend in the future worrying about a stupid ticket.

Your valuable time > $100.
I agree that sometimes time is more valuable than money. But I was expecting almost a slam dunk case for me and at this stage I have already invested like 2 hours of my morning going to that hearing. And I am determined to spend another hour putting together a written appeal. I am not giving in so easily to this money hungry city gov't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,033 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
With time stamped security footage, I'm surprised that you lost. Does the city expect people to take time off of work on windy days to go check their property? Strange. I would appeal if possible and I'm curious what their written explanation is for rejecting your evidence. Maybe the judge was having a bad day.
Yes my video had a date and time stamp. Unfortunately it wasn't totally clear as the stamp was against a light background picture and the font color was like white. But one can pretty much determine that the date and time match what I was saying. At the time the hearing judge did not question whether the video was really on the same date as the ticket violation. In fact the judge didn't even seem interested when I said I had a video proving that morning was an extremely windy morning. I had to insist that I show the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 04:37 AM
 
1,845 posts, read 1,698,913 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz07 View Post
I received a $100 sanitation ticket for my house in Brooklyn a few months ago for "violating" the Dirty Area rule. It happened to be a very windy day with litter blowing all around the block and apparently there was litter that accumulated in my driveway when the agent came by in the morning and while I was away at work....
I'm not familiar with the "Dirty Area rule" but you got a ticket for litter in your own driveway? I've never heard of someone getting a ticket for litter in their driveway, i.e. not in the street or sidewalk, especially litter that was only there for a few hours. There has to be more to this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 AM
 
8 posts, read 7,033 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I'm not familiar with the "Dirty Area rule" but you got a ticket for litter in your own driveway? I've never heard of someone getting a ticket for litter in their driveway, i.e. not in the street or sidewalk, especially litter that was only there for a few hours. There has to be more to this story.
I was not even aware of this NYC Dirty Area rule myself until this incident but it didnt matter that the litter was in my private driveway. As long as the agent can see the litter on the private property from the public street, they can write a ticket during two specific times during the day (8:00 AM to 8:59 AM and 6:00 PM to 6:59 PM).

Still waiting to see the written decision from the judge on why my video evidence of cleaning up before the ticket was not enough to get it dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 08:27 AM
 
2,853 posts, read 6,263,952 times
Reputation: 1636
For those not aware, you can get a ticket if it's your driveway OR if it's the sidewalk in front of your house. We got a ticket once when someone left litter on the sidewalk in front of our house while at work. Also $100. We just paid it because there was really nothing we could do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top