U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 05:18 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,205,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I wouldn't call NE Bronx the murder capital of the Bronx
It's averaged 17 homicides the last 5 years. No other Bronx precinct comes close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 05:35 PM

14,821 posts, read 17,423,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It's averaged 17 homicides the last 5 years. No other Bronx precinct comes close.
47 precinct gets a bad rap all the time.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:55 PM

9,938 posts, read 7,698,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The north east bronx is less poor, and has a lower overall violent crime rate than the south bronx. However, it has more murders.
Must be organized crime or something. Maybe drug trafficking.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:24 PM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Must be organized crime or something. Maybe drug trafficking.
Not just drug trafficking.

DEA.gov / New York News Releases, 01/28/14

Heroin trafficking. Williamsbridge is the next neighborhood to the South of Wakefield. If you google heroin the Bronx many of the big busts have happened in the North Bronx (there are more bad North Bronx neighborhoods than the ones I named). It's a convenient location to process the heroin business in and out of NY to New England and upstate.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:42 PM

14,821 posts, read 17,423,298 times
Quote:
I didn't know the NE Bronx was that bad. I don't know much about the Bronx, but was under the impression the South Bronx was worse.

In Brooklyn though you have Bushwick, BedStuy, Crown Heights, Flatbush, East Flatbush, Brownville, ENY and Cypress Hills. Its a large geography of high crime neighborhood after high crime neighborhood one after another. That's a lot of unparented kids to supply McDonald chains with brawls.

Lol. Where have you been? Then again I don't know much Glendale Queens, Ridgewood, Maspeth and Woodhaven. Im surprised how this thread changed from Brooklyn and now talks about NE Bronx and lower Westchester Lol. I just got 4 rep points from the current events thread about this incident that took place in Brooklyn. Why did this happen? Easily. It has a lot to do with socioeconomics and less about race. Gentrification which is being pushed by liberal whites is a huge failure in Brooklyn. Brooklyn still has a lot of poverty and a huge harbinger of poverty and at times they have to share the same community with new comer suburban whites. Gentrification has also failed to improve public schools. If I was a suburban white or yuppie black person that live in the gentry areas, I wouldn't want to send my kids to school full of ghetto blacks and Hispanic kids.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:09 PM

10,615 posts, read 20,750,046 times
Quote:
I just can't imagine Mt Vernon having miles and miles of continous ghetto after ghetto like Brooklyn does. It just doesn't have the size and population that Brooklyn has. Maybe it has some parts that appear more ghetto than Brooklyn, but they eventually end. Whereas in Brooklyn it feels like it goes on forever. Maybe if you add Yonkers into the mix, but still its not as vast in continuous land area.
Case in point from today's news (happened yesterday) Boy, 15, beaten and robbed of cellphone, shoes and even pants on Brooklyn subway in gang-related attack caught on video

Old 05-16-2015, 08:10 PM

630 posts, read 1,093,998 times
Meanwhile De blasio is galivanting around the country trying to get some disgusting progressive elected in 2016...having his PR staff save face with police. Liberal incompetence brings trouble to all cities!

Old 05-16-2015, 08:32 PM

9,938 posts, read 7,698,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Shoes I can almost wrap my head around, but they stole his f'n pants. Unbelievable. Can't believe I have to share a train with people of this mentality. And Broadway Junction has more cops out and about than any station I'm aware of. This happened in the beginning of the area of ENY where deBlasio has his rezoning plans. I hope his plans force these people's families to relocate out of state.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:03 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,283,761 times
Its getting tiresome reading comments from people who clearly don't have a clue.

Many people speak of gentrifiers moving away when their children come of school age and they can't afford to send them to private schools, but that is far from absolute. Take, for instance, PS9 in Prospect Heights.

In 2009, the NYT reported:

Quote:
Education options within the neighborhood are limited. Elementary school pupils are zoned for one public school, P.S. 9, where only 37.5 percent of children through sixth grade read at or above grade level last year. That placed it 500th of 674 city elementary schools in ranking, said Arthur Nieves, an assistant to the superintendent of Community School District 13.
Source: If You're Thinking of Living In / Prospect Heights, Brooklyn - A Diverse Neighborhood Spruces Up in a Turnaround - NYTimes.com

By any measure, those numbers represented a failing school.

Fast forward to current times, and the school is on the list of "other great elementary schools" in NYC. NYC's other great elementary schools | Capital New York

Also, the demographic change of more affluent families sending their children to this school has had a negative impact on Title I funding. Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/27/op...cess.html?_r=0 You can see the demographic change at the school as the result of the neighborhood gentrification just by walking down Underhill at 8AM and 3PM.

Still, more than a few schools with "ghetto" kids have long been doing fine, even before gentrifiers moved in; note, at the grade school level, these are primarily schools with gifted and talented programs. Note, that's not to say that there isn't a serious problem with many schools in predominately black/Latino neighborhoods, but speaking of these "dangerous"/"disruptive" "ghetto" kids ignores and demeans the many, many black and Latino students at these schools who are doing just fine. And that doesn't even get into the schools filled with "ghetto blacks and Hispanic kids" that are doing fine overall on the whole, including Bedford Academy, Benjamin Banneker Academy, Brooklyn College Academy, the various Eagle Academy schools, and so on. Progress in these communities/schools came from within; those of the mindset of some of these posters certainly didn't lead to that change. Yes, ghetto problem children/adults enrage me, and many of them I do want out of my neighborhood. Still, I know that this isn't most of the black/Hispanic/etc. population are not the problem (in fact, the problem population is a very small, but destructive, subset of these communities). Unlike some, however, I will not completely turn my back on these communities. If you do so, you do so at your own peril as the "problem" individuals will end up on your doorstep (just as many are now moving into the suburbs) if fundamental problems are not addressed.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 05-16-2015 at 09:28 PM..

Old 05-16-2015, 09:06 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,283,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not just drug trafficking.

DEA.gov / New York News Releases, 01/28/14

Heroin trafficking. Williamsbridge is the next neighborhood to the South of Wakefield. If you google heroin the Bronx many of the big busts have happened in the North Bronx (there are more bad North Bronx neighborhoods than the ones I named). It's a convenient location to process the heroin business in and out of NY to New England and upstate.
I know one thing: I'll live where I live in Brooklyn any day over living in Westchester or Nassau/Suffolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or