U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:32 AM

490 posts, read 608,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
This kind of stuff was less frequent under Giuliani/Bloomberg because kids knew cops would beat the crap out of them if they went wilding.

Thanks Deblasio.
Glad I moved to the suburbs.

As much as I don't like DeBlasio, this statement is ridiculous. Funny how short some people's memories are:

McDonald's Fight Is Third For Greenwich Village McDonald's (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,306,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
It tickles me that you actually believe that. It really does. Does NO ONE here realize that the crime rate is MUCH lower now than it was then? What, because now people can record and post these fights online means its happening more? There people are here, on this site, RIGHT NOW, who are just agreeing with this as if it isn't one of the most uninformed, bias statements...on this page of the thread, anyway.

Durr, DeBlasio, you fault!

Come on.
Good points. Yes, Giuliani started a great trend that Bloomberg continued, but its not like we're in 1990's NYC, crime-wise, though some of de Blasio's policing "reforms" makes me question how much he values our progress.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:54 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,306,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
You gus think things are bad now? Just wait. We don't hold parents responsible and very soon much of the cops' power will be further diminished because god help you if you make an arrest on a person of color these days.

People ask why I live in the suburbs. Because we don't have %#* like this going on with lawless streets where there is 1 cop for every 500 hood rats. Oh and NYC residents can't own a firearm so good luck protecting yourselves from these animals.
Right, you just have to deal with pot heads, meth heads, crackheads, and other stuff

On a more serious note, unless you live in a very exclusive, pricey suburb, what you write is becoming less and less true as more people who subscribe to a certain mentality (namely, the urban Hip Hop mentality) are being pushed out of NYC due to increasing rents and going to the suburbs. I can't tell you how many people who moved to suburban Nassau County, etc., 20 years ago to get away from the crime in NYC are now living the same nightmare they thought they left behind for good as NYC transplants seek cheaper alternatives. Unfortunately for those people, had they stayed and toughed out the rough years, they'd likely be in much better shape, financially, and would now be reaping the benefits of remaining in NYC. Case in point: when we moved into Prospect Heights in 1999, the neighborhood was FAR different than it is today; rampant crime, drug dealing, and general intimidation walking down Underhill, Washington, etc. We searched in and seriously considered suburban areas for our move, but just couldn't see ourselves leaving NYC. And its a good thing we didn't. The 2-family home we bought for $200,000 in 1999 is now demanding $1.6 million in all cash offers from developers and the neighborhood is a delight; we're not selling for at least another 10 years, though, if ever! Meanwhile, more than a few family friends who live in suburban Long Island are complaining about the increasing gang presence as transplants move in.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:14 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,244,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The 2-family home we bought for $200,000 in 1999 is now demanding $1.6 million in all cash offers from developers and the neighborhood is a delight; we're not selling for at least another 10 years, though, if ever!
As NYC becomes increasing a gated community for the wealthy and people who bought early (in the 90's), tension will continue to increase on what do we owe residents who live and contribute to the community but are neither wealthy or bought when it was affordable. In most global city, a lot of this people get pushed out to the outer limits of the city without a second thought, but given NYC history, liberal nature, and democracy it becomes a debate and struggle between opposite interest from different groups. You are lucky to have bought in early but your most likely in the minority of people who were able to do it.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:35 AM

23,286 posts, read 16,141,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Isn't life grand? We can sit back while all the people who disdain and constantly speak ill of the dreaded suburbs watch their liberal utopia fall apart around them. I couldn't imagine not being able to defend myself with a firearm if needs be. The people who willing place their safety in the hands of the cops they hate more than anything else in the world are absolutely mindboggling to me. It's like being in a zoo. I am fascinated by their thought processes which are completely alien to me.
Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, Newark. These are three really bad suburbs. As others pointed out, other suburbs have an influx of poor New York City transplants. Lets not talk about the heroine epidemic in suburban communities.

I feel that people are using liberal to mean rich. The best parts of the city one needs to be an executive to live in.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:38 AM

23,286 posts, read 16,141,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
As NYC becomes increasing a gated community for the wealthy and people who bought early (in the 90's), tension will continue to increase on what do we owe residents who live and contribute to the community but are neither wealthy or bought when it was affordable. In most global city, a lot of this people get pushed out to the outer limits of the city without a second thought, but given NYC history, liberal nature, and democracy it becomes a debate and struggle between opposite interest from different groups. You are lucky to have bought in early but your most likely in the minority of people who were able to do it.
NYC is all about the money and there is no real debate. Poor people get pushed to the outskirts of this city.r

Old 05-16-2015, 11:54 AM

10,000 posts, read 7,742,016 times
Even in this day in age of skyrocketing urban real estate there's no NYC suburb that has the volume of ghetto trash as you'll find in Brooklyn.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:43 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,601,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, Newark. These are three really bad suburbs. As others pointed out, other suburbs have an influx of poor New York City transplants. Lets not talk about the heroine epidemic in suburban communities.

I feel that people are using liberal to mean rich. The best parts of the city one needs to be an executive to live in.
Do those really count as suburbs?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:53 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,642,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The correct terminology would be "satellite cities".

Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 PM

10,000 posts, read 7,742,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Doesn't matter, with the exception of maybe Newark they can't touch the ghettoness of Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or