U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,414,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
City pays so little, how do they expect people to live here. I've looked up jobs for my position in the city and they're paying 30-50% below market rate. I'm sure the pension may make up for that but who knows if you can stay around to get that when I can make the 50% more in private companies and be way ahead. The salaries they pay barely supports a family of 3.
You're probably too skilled and over qualified for that job. I recall that you're in tech. In city tech jobs almost all the complex work is done by outside consultants. The stuff left to in-house staff amounts to merely tech savvy operations no matter the job description which explains part of the big difference in salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,495,289 times
There are well paid jobs in gov within NY. You usually gotta come in and work your way up though from a lower pay grade.

Occasionally depending on agency they will hire outside of civil service process and those often pay well. Not the same level of job security though.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:29 PM

228 posts, read 379,416 times
FYI --city employees in Tier 6 don't get any pension other than 3% skimmed off every paycheck of the already paltry salary.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:30 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,475,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
You're probably too skilled and over qualified for that job. I recall that you're in tech. In city tech jobs almost all the complex work is done by outside consultants. The stuff left to in-house staff amounts to merely tech savvy operations no matter the job description which explains part of the big difference in salary.
Thats not exactly true. While the city does outsource some stuff, a lot of coding for city applications is done in-house. While they definitely get paid less than some tech start up company employees, the people who actually write software do get paid six figures. Additionally, those contractors you are talking about hire the people who work for the city when they are looking...and the feds hire from the same pool. Quite a few people went over to the DoD and Dept of Homeland security from here. It all comes down to your personal preference. A lot of people prefer working 35 hour weeks + paid vacation making 110k for the city, than work 55-60 hour weeks in private sector making 150k.

Source: I work for IT department for the city.

Last edited by Gantz; 05-20-2015 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City