U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 411 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My sister and her family will be visiting NYC at the end of June from Northern Ireland for her 40th birthday. I was hoping to arrange some kind of surprise for her for when she was there, but have no clue as where to start or ideas of what to do.

They will have the children with them (9&7 yrs) so it has to be something family friendly and I'm trying to stay away from going out for a meal.

Sorry if I'm being a little vague. Having never had the pleasure of visiting myself I am totally stumped for ideas and Google isn't throwing up much apart from restaurants!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 11:53 PM

996 posts, read 946,748 times
If you take everyone to Madison Square Park, E. 23 St. between Broadway and Madison, near the Flatiron Building, there are several activities for the kids, plus some things of interest to adults. Some adults could sit in the outdoor cafe and talk, while others could take turns bring the kids into these places, all within a block of that park.

Kids Concerts in the park for June: Madison Square Park Conservancy - Keeping Madison Square Park a bright, beautiful and lively public park.

The Museum of Mathematics - very hands-on, not too big, experiments to do there for kids, gift shop

Lego Store - build your own, and buy kits as souvenirs if you wish

Marimekko Store - for adults, just good looking products from Scandanavia

Eataly - a beautiful indoor Italian espresso cafe, restaurant, food and kitchen products to shop. Buy some pastries and gelato to eat as a birthday cake.

Go and read the plaque on the Flatiron Building to understand its architectural history

Buy a box lunch to eat outdoors; tables and chairs are available in the triangle where the big streets meet. Watch the people. Wifi is available there.

From the park, you can see the Empire State Building at a distance. It's an attractive neighborhood park with vegetation and ringed by buildings of architectural interest. There's a fenced area where people bring dogs to play. The kids could watch all this activity, but you can only go inside the fence if you have a dog.

I think it could amuse the children, give the experience of going in-and-out to different places (not just one museum), while the adults can visit each other and have some variety. I don't mean to send the kids around solo, of course. This could occupy everyone for a few hours, midday. Subway stops right there.

OR: pick out a museum and spend the day. Given the ages of the children, I'd recommend the Museum of Natural History on the Upper West Side. The dinosaur bones are unforgettable, plus all the other exhibits about animals, plants and people. If you want Planetarium tickets, arrange those in advance. Then walk into Central Park and explore a bit. Kids that age might like the special exhibit, "Life at the Limits" about the survival strategies of some exotic animal species. See the museum's website to find out about tickets, hours, etc.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 05-17-2015 at 12:36 AM..

Old 05-17-2015, 07:06 AM

30,378 posts, read 31,251,406 times
A visit to the FAO Schwarz Store (as it is closing in July) plus a visit to the Central Park Zoo and afterwards have a meal in some local nearby restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City