U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:00 AM

428 posts, read 450,789 times

Advertisements

You might find a studio for 1k in Washington Heights or Inwood, or expanding north Kingsbridge or Bedford Park. You might need a broker, though, although you could try speaking to supers in individual buildings. It won't be easy, as their going for 12-14 hundred these days, but it's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 05:52 AM

9,916 posts, read 7,681,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
No. You are not going to find a studio for $1000 in Crown Heights or Bed Stuy or really any of the "hot" gentrifying areas of BK. I know you love to hate on those neighborhoods but as much as you dislike them, those areas are no longer the cheapest option. That ship sailed. I even checked Craig's list and there are no true studios for $1000, there aren't even that many rooms at that price. Yep, it's come to that.

I do have a friend that pays less than $1000 for her place in crown heights near the children's museum. The catch is that she's lived there for YEARS and even the landlord is trying to push her out so he can get much higher rent. These days you are looking it's at least $1200 and at that price you have to look HARD.
Hate? I was just trying to give the OP options. People getting priced out of Williamsburg, Bushwick, Ridgewood, Western Bed-Stuy, Fort Greene, etc...are still finding places over by Malcolm X. Anyway, then maybe try Ralph.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:51 AM

576 posts, read 462,992 times
Hard-to-believe, but $1000 won't get you a 1-bedroom anywhere decent in NY. You have two options...... 1. find a roomate and get a place in a decent neighborhood. You can find a 2-bedroom for $1500-@$2000 a month in a good neighborhood. or 2. Get a Studio/1-bedroom in a sketchy neighborhood by yourself.

When I moved out of my parent's place in 2006, I renteda a 1-bedroom on 202nd St. & Valentine Ave. in the Bronx for $875 a month. Really nice area, IMO. Just a few years later, around 2008, same 1-bedrooms were going for $1,000-$1,100. It's been 7 years since then......... Don't even want to know what the rent is like now.....

Old 05-18-2015, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 9,385 times
I've found some okay looking studios in the bronx and a few in harlem, not much luck in brooklyn though. I kinda knew I'd end up there but thanks for helping me save time

Old 05-19-2015, 02:34 PM

996 posts, read 943,326 times
So I went to Streeteasy and plugged in $750-1250 for studios in CrownHeights or Weeksville (near Utica).
Only 4 results came up for studios within that bracket, asking $1100, $1175, $1250.
That's close to $1K but a shade above it.

Bedford-Stuyvesant and Crown Heights Apartments for Rent | StreetEasy

I suppose you could try to negotiate the price down, based on stellar prior landlord recommendations or a solid place of employment. Maybe you can beat someone out if they believe you're a better candidate to pay the rent without delays. I've never done that, but maybe others know if price-haggling is a real option or just bs-talk.

Problem is, the city will soon flood with other newly graduated students ready to pay the asking prices.

These 4 places are in liveable, but still poor, neighborhoods, I mean *I* even live here. But they're not what you could get if you compromise and share a 2BR with a roommate, in order to live a mile or two to the west here in Brooklyn, such as off Nostrand or Franklin. The big expenses within any apartment are its kitchen and bathroom. Bedroom space is just floorspace. So 2 people chipping in $1K each can get something slightly better. That's what we've been trying to tell you. The market is tough for a single person at $1K.

I can't compare Eastern Crown Heights with the Bronx, I know nothing about it.

Good luck.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 05-19-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 03:33 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,072,964 times
My buddy in the South Bronx is looking for a roommate. Let me know if you are interested.

moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 05-20-2015 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 09:26 PM

420 posts, read 782,876 times
/\ Sadly, that's kind of true with potential roommates, especially on CL

Living in your own apartment on $40,000 in NYC is tough, not impossible in some further out neighborhoods in the outer boroughs (maybe you can get a studio in Washington Heights or Inwood but the immediate area might not be "desirable") and depending on your monthly budget might even be financially stressful. It's a bit crazy considering $40,000 is around the average salary for workers in the US yet in NYC you need to get a roommate or two to make it work. A lot of recent college grads have roommates in the city but living with roommates as you get older gets... well old and you just want your own apartment to come home to. Or at least one you live in with a significant other.

People say you need to make more than $50,000+ to live on your own closer neighborhoods of the outer boroughs (Astoria Queens, Greenpoint Brooklyn etc). For living on your own in Manhattan I think around six figures is often referenced as a salary getting your own place south of 96th is actually possible... Which for a lot of people who don't work in the IT, finance, business and medical fields, have a trust fund or inheritance or rent controlled place isn't a possibility.

Considering that I'd recommend getting roommates if you want to keep your commute time down. You'll open your options up in terms of neighborhoods by having a roommate or two. Though, even with roommate apartments near Tribeca it will be expensive as I have seen rooms listed for $1,500+ in neighborhoods south of 14th Street. You'll have to make a few compromises on either the apartment, neighborhood or maybe both to find something that works for your budget roommate or not. Even the wealthy have to compromise with NYC real estate these days.

Last edited by ehanson; 05-19-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 10:35 AM

I actually found an aparments near the Gates Ave Stop in Bushwick, literally around the corner from it for around $1000. But I was wondering about the safeness of the neighborhood. I'm a 22 year old black male, but that doesn't mean people won't try me. I'm not particularly menacing, I'm around 5' 8" and people tell me I'm obviously gay. Will I be fine in this area?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:37 AM

I made another thread about this but didn't get any answers lol

Old 05-20-2015, 11:17 AM
DAS

2,530 posts, read 5,823,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
All of these are questionable just because they are on Craigslist. But because of the pics and the locations, I'm almost sure the surroundings and buildings are not that great, and in most cases probably a noisy area. Renovated means that they knocked out the old bathroom, kept the sink and tub, and if it works, the toilet. They may have put in new floors and tile. The kitchen they'll put in new aminated counters, flooring, and appliances (if needed). The apt will have a new 1 coat paint job This allows the LL to charge rent at the renovated apt increases.

If you want more than what is stated you have to do it yourself like, put another coat of paint on the walls, or shine the floors more. Don't spend to much money since you are only renting.

The best you can do is to try to find something near a subway. Since you will be working in Tribeca you are near many subway lines, so it doesn't matter which one, in which boro, you will get to work.

Look for an apt. near shopping for everyday needs.

A clean building with good locks, and a working intercom.

An hour ride to work in NYC is typical. So don't sweat that. Most posters that state a ride from doorstep to doorstep is 20 or 30 minutes is exaggerating.

You may want to live near a park or greenway also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or