U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 PM

2,007 posts, read 4,218,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Those things are irrelevant.

I like what I like. And what I don't like.
LOL, nice job deflecting the question.

Those things ARE actually somewhat relevant because those factors might have influenced your present-day opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 05:01 PM

23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I asked you earlier about what type of environment you grew up in during your formative years (family background, socioeconomic background at the time, geographic location, etc.).

Also, what is your opinion of corporations that have dedicated days to giving back to charitable causes (including impoverished communities)? From Goldman Sachs to the NY Knicks, these types of organizations all have teams that set up events that are designed to give back to the "communities" that you chose to denigrate in your earlier posts. Do you think these corporations purely do this for fluff, publicity & a tax write-off?
Pretty much purely for a tax write off. The same companies have laid off workers and outsourced jobs when it suited their needs. If they were realky so charitable it would start at home. Goldman has advised corporate mergers that led to massive layoffs.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Pretty much purely for a tax write off. The same companies have laid off workers and outsourced jobs when it suited their needs. If they were realky so charitable it would start at home. Goldman has advised corporate mergers that led to massive layoffs.
I actually agree with you here. But do you think that these corporations also want to maintain the "appearance" that they are benefiting the community including the underprivileged?

Some of the UES women that the OP referenced are actively involved with charitable galas that are designed to give back to these segments of society as well. I know that these events become a sort of "see & be seen" type of scene in a way. But at the same time, why would they want to give back to the less fortunate in the first place? Again, tax-related benefits?

Old 05-18-2015, 05:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 3,325,176 times
Quote:
You said those women should move out to the suburbs. I said I would rather live in a city with people like them as opposed to rhe types I do not like.

My statement is a personal prefernce and one rhat I will not change.

You don't like these women and you have your own preferences that you won't change. You rant against well off people in the city. Does that make you racist?

Maybe. Maybe not. But at the end of the day you are as entitled to your opinion as I am mine. No amount of lecturing is going to change how someone feels.
That's fine but really what I think was off putting, at least to me and it seems several others, is that it came out of left field. He made a comment about these women moving to the bubs and becoming soccer moms and your reply was a basically personal attack on him and a then a rant about immigrants. I was scratching my head after that in total confusion. Did you have a bad day or something? Now the thread has veered left on this unrelated tangent.

Ok so back to the topic of the OP...

As I think about this more, the idea of giving bonuses is interesting when I think about what happens in the event of a divorce. As someone pointed out, with divorce, money can sometimes suddenly disappear to prevent the other from getting it (yes, even if there is a pre nup). If these wives are basically being paid, it's almost a form of financial independence...even though they are still getting the money from their husbands. They could take that money as their "salary" and save it, or spend it, wisely.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:23 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,034,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Business people can quantify the value of "childcare" or "housework" and "pay" their wives for performing these duties well.
Or to keep their wives from developing wandering eyes for the Equinox fitness instructor. Some people in the Westchester forums said before that there are quite a lot of them living in Armonk and they do a lot more things with the tennis instructor than practicing their backstrokes.

Whenever I see them spinning in Soul Cycle I wondered how they manage to live well while simultaneously having plenty of (leisure) time on their hands. Now I know why, but never imagined it went to the extent of actually getting bonuses and other "corporate" perks.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:33 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,236,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
As I think about this more, the idea of giving bonuses is interesting when I think about what happens in the event of a divorce. As someone pointed out, with divorce, money can sometimes suddenly disappear to prevent the other from getting it (yes, even if there is a pre nup). If these wives are basically being paid, it's almost a form of financial independence...even though they are still getting the money from their husbands. They could take that money as their "salary" and save it, or spend it, wisely.
I would think in a relationship in which both parties worship money, monetizing every single activity would be a turn on for both of them. Given some of this wives are high performers in their past life, being a housewife who everything was given to them would most likely be boring and they might feel guilt or have resentment from the guy who bring up the fact that he is the main provider of the family every time their in an argument. I am sure it refreshing in a way to tell the guy all the money she received was earned and not given to her (using money as a way to recognize her for her accomplishment and achievements in their relationship).

Old 05-18-2015, 06:48 PM

2,339 posts, read 3,325,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Or to keep their wives from developing wandering eyes for the Equinox fitness instructor. Some people in the Westchester forums said before that there are quite a lot of them living in Armonk and they do a lot more things with the tennis instructor than practicing their backstrokes.

Whenever I see them spinning in Soul Cycle I wondered how they manage to live well while simultaneously having plenty of (leisure) time on their hands. Now I know why, but never imagined it went to the extent of actually getting bonuses and other "corporate" perks.
LOL this is funny to me because I grew up in Westchester and my mom is/was a house wife...actually maybe it's not that funny

Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Nowhere did I say anything racist against anyone.

I did say I prefer to be around wealthy people like the ones mentioned in the article to being around POOR immigrants and ghetto people.

That is my personal preference. I am not obligated to like everyone the same or to want to socialize with every type of person in the world.
You may not be outright racist per se, but you sure as hell are classist!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:49 AM

6,043 posts, read 6,081,092 times
Quote:

I did say I prefer to be around wealthy people like the ones mentioned in the article to being around POOR immigrants and ghetto people..
Toss up IMO. Both can be equally insufferable at times. Neither one of them are the kind of Americans I prefer to deal with or particularly respect.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:47 AM

14,806 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Nah, they should just get rid of people from poor countries like Guyana. I'd rather live in the city with these women than Guyanese or other third worlders. These women are Americans they can live wherever they want to within their own country.
Quote:
I'd rather be around well educated AMERICANS (of any race) rather than poor immigrants OR low class African Americans. So my comments stand.

Better to be around these women than poor immigrants from GUYANA (and other really poor uneducated places) AND GHETTO BLACKS. For that matter I don't like all gays. Gentrification got rid of a lot of the low class gays from Manhattan. And I was happy. All that ghetto has been pretty much entirely displaced from the West Village, Chelsea, and Hells Kitchen. The same thing is getting rid of the remaining scum in the Lower East Side and Chinatown. I am happy that Manhattan is full of civilized people with class.

But enough of my personal preferences. You are practically off the boat so who are you to tell people who have been living in this country where they can or cannot live? If you are so proud of your Guyanese identity you do not need an exit visa to leave the US!
Quote:
You said those women should move out to the suburbs. I said I would rather live in a city with people like them as opposed to rhe types I do not like.

My statement is a personal prefernce and one rhat I will not change.

You don't like these women and you have your own preferences that you won't change. You rant against well off people in the city. Does that make you racist?

Maybe. Maybe not. But at the end of the day you are as entitled to your opinion as I am mine. No amount of lecturing is going to change how someone feels.

I really don't know what your issue is, or you probably hate my idealists, rationalists, populist centrist dogma, vs your liberal pseudo fake progressive elitism, (spits on the floor). This country going to go to#### because of people like you and I hope it does. Your statement was uncalled for and its exposes your nature. 2nd of all I'm an All American, born and raised, and yes I hold dual citizenship. I'm also a Native New Yorker, you are probably not? I'm no where near off the boat and if I was why would you care? Do you hate immigrants? Do you want me to say I hate African Americans regardless if they are representatives of high society? Do you want me to say I hate all Jews because they make up the bulk of 1%? Do you want me to say I hate fake liberals? I don't. I can exit the US if I want too, but Uncle Sam is no joke and will follow me to the ends of the earth for tax money for living and working abroad, and is why I wont leave this country. As for me being proud of my ancestry? Of course I'm happy and proud. I'm proud of Guyanese background but also proud of my Britannic, Iberian, West African, Asian Indian and Native Indigenous heritages. To make things better I'm a quarter Britannic and hold a full Britannic first, middle and last names. My ancestors help bring civilization to NYC when the Brits took NYC from the Dutch, how about yours?

I seriously doubt these women will want to be around you. First off you are not a Wasp, 2nd of all you don't have any children of your own to be around these women. Last of all you are not married. Truthfully last, you do not have a mix of points 1, 2 and 3 to even hang out of these women, so I suggest that you go and adopt a kid from the 3rd world and try to look as progressive and charitable as you can be.

Answer my question NYwriterdude? What does you having to hate 3rd worlders, Guyanese, immigrants, low class people have to do this thread which is talking about something totally different. The subject is about women who are married to high profile men, but being married is for them is job in its self. As for my comment for these women going to burbs? Have you ever been to New York Avenue in Huntington LI, or Bronxville in Westchester? I have visited NYC area suburbs on many occasions and the women of the UES are no different than the moms of high profile burbs minus the SUV. I'm sorry if your statement offended especially since you hate suburbia and sprawl. No wonder you failed at LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City