U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 05:39 AM

260 posts, read 200,254 times

Advertisements

You might want to send up a follow-up letter outlining what the discussion has been, and give them a deadline (I would make it 1 week to move out) for giving you a real offer.

Also restate that the 30 days still stands, unless you want to give some extension to get an offer together. Don't be wishy washy with the termination date verbally. I would make any changes to their move-out date in writing, nothing verbal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 AM

879 posts, read 531,490 times
I think SobroGuy and Hilltopjay were banned for not listening to the PC police on this board. A shame because they both were very knowledgable landlords.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,647,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
I think SobroGuy and Hilltopjay were banned for not listening to the PC police on this board. A shame because they both were very knowledgable landlords.
LOL. Too funny,Hilltop. Too funny.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 4,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
You might want to send up a follow-up letter outlining what the discussion has been, and give them a deadline (I would make it 1 week to move out) for giving you a real offer.

Also restate that the 30 days still stands, unless you want to give some extension to get an offer together. Don't be wishy washy with the termination date verbally. I would make any changes to their move-out date in writing, nothing verbal.

I have reiterated on multiple occasions (in writing, of course) that the termination date stands. They simply ignore and continue to press the "offer," which is about as a real as a leprechaun or a unicorn. This has been going on since the beginning of the month and they haven't even thrown out a number yet--verbal or otherwise.

I feel that if they wanted to make an offer, they would have. If there is money available to buy a house, he can buy any house in my market. Decent homes in my area are a dime a dozen.

My inclination is that they are trying to string me along in order to buy time to find another place (his previous rental references and personal references were not so good--I can elaborate on my poor judgment later, LOL). He also lied about a criminal record that I only recently discovered so I feel that all of this is not done in good faith, and part of me wants to just call them out on it to put an end to the charade. On the other hand, I feel that THAT is what could open me up to problems.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:25 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,647,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemy View Post
I have reiterated on multiple occasions (in writing, of course) that the termination date stands. They simply ignore and continue to press the "offer," which is about as a real as a leprechaun or a unicorn. This has been going on since the beginning of the month and they haven't even thrown out a number yet--verbal or otherwise.

I feel that if they wanted to make an offer, they would have. If there is money available to buy a house, he can buy any house in my market. Decent homes in my area are a dime a dozen.

My inclination is that they are trying to string me along in order to buy time to find another place (his previous rental references and personal references were not so good--I can elaborate on my poor judgment later, LOL). He also lied about a criminal record that I only recently discovered so I feel that all of this is not done in good faith, and part of me wants to just call them out on it to put an end to the charade. On the other hand, I feel that THAT is what could open me up to problems.
Hate to say it but it sounds like your poor judgement is continuing by not consulting with a lawyer instead of an anonymous and unknowledgeable internet forum.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 AM

Again, I'm not concerned about the legality of it. That part is covered.

It's more of a decorum question of how to handle the interpersonal stuff in the meantime.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,239,273 times
Quote:
Again, I'm not concerned about the legality of it. That part is covered.

It's more of a decorum question of how to handle the interpersonal stuff in the meantime.
What is there to talk about? The tenant has been stalling his eviction and avoiding a serious decision over leaving or buying the property. If anything the tenant has been successfully outsmarting you and you should seek professional help and let the housing court procedures work themselves out. Continuing an interpersonal relationship with the tenant can give the tenant claim for harassment.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Great advice, NYer. Those were my initial thoughts as well--let the legal process play out and ignore further communications.

I just wasn't sure if there were any unwritten rules to maintaining a good relationship with a tenant. I suppose the take-away from this is to establish clear boundaries and not ever have discussions with tenants outside of a legal framework, in writing.

As an aside, I was reading on a landlord forum that tenants facing non-renewal/eviction can retaliate in horrendous ways, i.e., pouring cement down drains, stripping the copper from the building, removing fixtures, doors, etc. It is really terrifying stuff, and probably means that if you don't have the constitution to deal with those types of issues, the landlording game isn't for you.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:39 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,239,273 times
Quote:
I suppose the take-away from this is to establish clear boundaries and not ever have discussions with tenants outside of a legal framework, in writing.
It is fine to have discussions, however, it different when you see the discussions are not proceeding any where and your tenant is being difficult to deal with. The first advise I received from my neighbor was to establish a clear boundary with tenant as to not get taken advantage by tenant (delay payment, high volume of repair request, etc..).

Quote:
As an aside, I was reading on a landlord forum that tenants facing non-renewal/eviction can retaliate in horrendous ways, i.e., pouring cement down drains, stripping the copper from the building, removing fixtures, doors, etc. It is really terrifying stuff, and probably means that if you don't have the constitution to deal with those types of issues, the landlording game isn't for you.
This can be avoiding in the selection of tenant process. I tend to look for people who previously rented in Manhattan and are looking for more space in the outer boroughs (go from studio to 2 bedroom apartment). In addition they have great credit score and hope to save money to buy a property one day. Usually this involves young professional couple. I tend to avoid tenants who have nothing to lose by trashing the place.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM

Great points, and I made mistakes on both fronts (screening and boundaries).

How long have you been LLing for and in that time how many bad apples have you had?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City