Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 06:58 PM

13 posts, read 20,956 times

Advertisements

I'll probably end up calling regardless but wanted to check here first. My sister lives in Pomonok Houses in Queens. She got into a domestic dispute with her husband and he threw her laptop and phone down the garbage chute. Is there anyway possible she would be able to get them? I just searched her building online and saw that the garbage is collected every Monday and Thursday for her building. This incident happened today. She would even go searching through the garbage herself if need be. She has all of her work on her laptop and really just wants that back. She has insurance for her phone and can file a claim for a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,452 times
Oh wow. I have no clue I think though that the trash is compacted when it drops I could be wrong though. Hope someone can help more.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:02 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
This is something that needs to be found asap, SHE needs to talk with the people in her building about this like now.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrow View Post
Oh wow. I have no clue I think though that the trash is compacted when it drops I could be wrong though. Hope someone can help more.
Oh no I've been calling NYCHA just to ask and no one is answering. Ugh.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
This is something that needs to be found asap, SHE needs to talk with the people in her building about this like now.
The people in her building? They won't be able to help her. The trash goes down a chute and I think only NYCHA can open it. But If the trash is compacted every time some falls, then her stuff is gone.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siljetoo View Post
The people in her building? They won't be able to help her. The trash goes down a chute and I think only NYCHA can open it. But If the trash is compacted every time some falls, then her stuff is gone.
No one works in her building ? The maintenance staff would be the ones you need to speak to.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
No one works in her building ? The maintenance staff would be the ones you need to speak to.
No. This is NYC housing, not a regular condo. Maintenance is NYCHA. They do not live in the buildings but there may b some workers in the maintenance building a 10 minute walk away. My sister is going to bang on the door and see if she can get someone.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siljetoo View Post
No. This is NYC housing, not a regular condo. Maintenance is NYCHA. They do not live in the buildings but there may b some workers in the maintenance building a 10 minute walk away. My sister is going to bang on the door and see if she can get someone.
I know what NYCHA is! Maintenance is NOT NYCHA. NYCHA is housing. Someone who works in a NYCHA building doing maintenance is called a worker not nycha

I'm saying, She needs to leave her apartment and go talk to someone who is currently on duty in the building. The longer your wait the less chance of recovery. Clearly if it was really important she would've left her apartment and found someone to speak to when this happened hours ago and not waited until 11pm. Good luck finding someone working in the building now.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I know what NYCHA is! Maintenance is NOT NYCHA. NYCHA is housing. Someone who works in a NYCHA building doing maintenance is called a worker not nycha

I'm saying, She needs to leave her apartment and go talk to someone who is currently on duty in the building. The longer your wait the less chance of recovery. Clearly if it was really important she would've left her apartment and found someone to speak to when this happened hours ago and not waited until 11pm. Good luck finding someone working in the building now.
Maintenance is NYCHA. the maintenance workers who work for NYCHA are NYCHA. No one works IN her building. That's what I'm trying to say. There is no maintenance in the building. For maintenance issues, you have to call NYCHA maintenance and they send someone for you. If it's not an emergency, they won't send anyone until regular hours. My sister lives relatively close to maintenance office and there are usually a couple people there who deal with the after hours emergencies but they do not live in the building and they deal with the whole housing project.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,452 times
Quote:

NYCHA workers are not delegated to buildings. They are delegated to the whole complex. There is no one to go "find" as maintenance workers do not live in the buildings (or maybe some do live in the same complexes they work in, idk). You have to call NYCHA customer service or whatever it's called for things that the OP is talking about. Then you wait. So even if she did call someone as soon as this happened, I doubt anything could've been done, unfortunately. Tonight, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City