U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,127,262 times

Advertisements

80% of Columbia masters graduates in statistics are Chinese | gbtimes.com

Following outsourcing of the US manufacturing jobs, will statistics and other related jobs follow?

What jobs are left for Americans 15 years from now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 12:44 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,236,566 times
That program is not a legitimate program, it is a cash revenue scheme by the university. It been known for a long time among the Chinese community that you can buy a Ivy league degree if your willing to pay their outrageous tuition fees. The program is design to give international student the ability to stay in the US for an additional year while studying and looking for a job in NYC (the degree increases their chance of receiving a h-1b visa in finance sector).

Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 PM

1,935 posts, read 2,128,933 times
You don't even need Columbia to do that. I know plenty of foreigners studying stupid things at Devry just so they can be in america on a student visa. As longs as you can pay the tuition.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:01 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
That program is not a legitimate program, it is a cash revenue scheme by the university. It been known for a long time among the Chinese community that you can buy a Ivy league degree if your willing to pay their outrageous tuition fees. The program is design to give international student the ability to stay in the US for an additional year while studying and looking for a job in NYC (the degree increases their chance of receiving a h-1b visa in finance sector).
When I took statics at a 4 year CUNY in the city most of the entire class was Asian Indian Chinese or Korean. This is nothing new and you are late on this. This can be done anywhere in the country is very common out west. Stanford gives free online statistics courses.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-19-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 01:09 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,127,262 times
Quote:
Interesting, but from what I read, an MA in Statistics, especially from an Ivy, increases one's chance in landing on well paid jobs with relative less competition given the growing demand of staticians in many areas. Why Americans are not interested in pursuing such opportunities?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:19 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,236,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Interesting, but from what I read, an MA in Statistics, especially from an Ivy, increases one's chance in landing on well paid jobs with relative less competition given the growing demand of staticians in many areas. Why Americans are not interested in pursuing such opportunities?
For a foreigner to receive sponsorship by a corporation they need to be overqualified compared to the american citizen (justify the sponsorship to the government). They mainly land level entry jobs that an american with a bachelor degree would normally receive, hence american person doesn't have the incentive to go after that degree.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 PM

147 posts, read 135,763 times
Quote:
80% of Columbia masters graduates in statistics are Chinese | gbtimes.com

Following outsourcing of the US manufacturing jobs, will statistics and other related jobs follow?

What jobs are left for Americans 15 years from now?
and "99% of MBA Finance graduates in NYU are all FOBs" (his words not mine), why you think my cousin decide not to get his PhD there...

IMO, graduate degrees in these private school are there to milk money from foreigners.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
For a foreigner to receive sponsorship by a corporation they need to be overqualified compared to the american citizen (justify the sponsorship to the government). They mainly land level entry jobs that an american with a bachelor degree would normally receive, hence american person doesn't have the incentive to go after that degree.
You know there is a limit to the amount of visa given each year, and when companies apply sponsorship, they have to prove that they can't hire an American that fit their needed skill set before they can sponsor a foreigner.

For example, I know this guy he got a visa sponsorship, and he work as some payroll clerk. Any American qualify for that position, but the company put a little caveat - they said we need a Hebrew speaking payroll clerk. Not to many Americans speak Hebrew, according to that guy.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Statisticians = Lots of Math!

Americans = No Love or can't do Math!

I = Ok at Math, so folks at work thinks I'm an all that rockstar.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:52 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,414,863 times
Quote:
Not sure if I agree with that assessment. I've actually worked with interns from that program as well as the masters in operations research program. There's nothing illegimate about the programs as they're not a walk in the park for 98% of the population. From talking to the students there most go to those programs because one they don't have a comp sci background to get into an IT related masters degree and two they can't get into the financial engineering program so the next best thing to finding employment are the stats and operations research programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or