U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 03:01 PM

147 posts, read 135,985 times

Advertisements

I'll install the a/c myself and if co-op management complaints, just tell them this

You: "super it will get installed over the weekend, so I got it install over the weekend"
Management: "By who? not the super or any of our authorized installers"
You: "I don't care and not my problem, was told it will get install over the weekend, and it got installed".

BTW the a/c now a days is so light even a 13 year old can install it... and I'm being totally serious. remember how I had to ask for help to install a 6k BTU, now I can do a 12k alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:04 AM

20,158 posts, read 26,453,489 times
Let us know how it worked out.

(I put a 12,000 BTU unit through the wall and it was Hell because it is only 4 inches from the floor and almost in a corner, and that means all the stress of a big AC was directly on my hunched over lower back, which is a mess at the best of times.)

Old 05-23-2015, 06:37 AM

33 posts, read 60,247 times
One alternative would be a portable AC. I have one and it works pretty well. It is also pretty quiet. You need to put the exhaust out the window, and it's pretty easy to set up. Mine is about 10 years old and I imagine there are newer, more efficient ones than what I have.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:08 PM

18,298 posts, read 11,693,181 times
One long and drawn out post provokes several pages of responses....

There isn't anything to set straight here; if the OP's lease states the super or someone assigned by the building must install the AC that is end of story. *ANY* other form of installation is a violation of the lease and exposes said tenant to possible legal action.

If the building super is being uncooperative contact the LL/building management agent and take things up a notch. If telephone calls do not work write and send a compliant via mail (certified with return receipt).

NYC law holds property owner's liable for anything that falls off or out of their building. Sadly more than a few persons on sidewalks below have been injured or even killed by improperly installed window AC units. Our building does not allow window units (there are Fedder's sleeves) and if you even try in <24 hours you will hear from building management *ordering* you to remove or face legal proceedings.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:53 PM

480 posts, read 771,638 times
Strangely enough, that is one of the reasons I was so damn happy to get out of NYC, fear of being hit by a falling A/C. Anywho, buy the sleeves, and hire a professional company to install on your schedule. I know what you mean, most supers in NY are a holes. smh

Old 05-24-2015, 06:14 AM

20,158 posts, read 26,453,489 times
I think in New York City the chance of being hit by a falling air conditioner is approximately the same as being struck by lightning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or