U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-19-2015, 11:31 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,905 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hey guys, I have looked over almost all the threads on Brighton Beach and a lot of them are a few years old. I want to get your input on my situation and maybe some other suggestions on areas of the city to move to. I want to preface this by saying that I went to school in upstate and have visited the city quite a few times. I even took a job out of college and lived in bed-stuy back in 2009 for about a month. So I have a decent understanding of the very basics of living in the city but trying to pick a neighborhood is really stressing me out.

My husband and I are moving to the city this August so I can go to grad school at NYU. It has been a dream of mine to move back to NYC for a long time and I'm excited that its finally happening. We are newly married, in our late 20's, and are considering moving to Brighton Beach. There are a few reasons for this. One is that we both have anxiety/depression and based on the places we have both lived in the past, we have learned that too much city can make us both really stressed. Don't get me wrong - we are city dwellers now and have been for the last 5+ years. However, right now we live in a downtown area that is right on a river that we are able to spend a lot of time around. We also like to hike and spend time outdoors. We know we wont be able to do much of that in NY so we thought that, even though we have heard the beaches in NYC are not the greatest - and I HAVE been to Coney Island before and it was not the best beach (granted it was the 4th of July and PACKED) - It maybe helpful to be near water and not completely surrounded in concrete jungle. At least there is a boardwalk that we can run along.

Another big factor is that we have two dogs and would absolutely love to be able to find a place that is bigger than what we have now (650 sq ft) with a dishwasher and balcony for under 2k. We are thinking about the newly renovated shore crest towers - which I know are technically in coney island - but I've seen a ton of listings in the area that meet those requirements, at least without a balcony, which having would really be a luxury and can do without if we must.

The other neighborhoods we are looking at are Astoria, Bay Ridge and Sunset Park. We are also considering areas farther out in queens like sunnyside, forest hills, rego park but haven't done a ton of research on the neighborhoods like the others. It seems that, with the exception of Astoria, commute times to NYU are pretty similar to BB - around 40-50 minutes. It seems that a lot of people are pretty negative about BB. I know there are a lot of Russians, but other than that I'm not sure if maybe there is something I'm missing. Ive heard that its a bit of a grimy neighborhood but from all my research it seems to be safe. We are both very comfortable around people not like ourselves and don't mind being in the minority so that is not an issue. It would be great to be part of a community but I figure we are not going to get everything we want in our neighborhood for our price unless we really luck out somewhere around prospect park. Also, since I'll be in the village M-F, I'm not too worried about amenities in the neighborhood - as long as we feel comfortable in our apartment and out and about. I'd personally have a long commute and a large apartment with a dishwasher than live in a cramped box with a 10 minute commute.

Also, does anyone know if there is a dog park /run in Asser Levy Park? Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2015, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
260 posts, read 310,289 times
Reputation: 168
Most of the other neighborhoods mentioned are better than Brighton Beach. Sunnyside, Astoria, Forest Hills, Rego park, and Bay Ridge are all decent neighborhoods, although Astoria and Bay Ridge are getting pricey.

Brighton is mostly a Russian-speaking enclave of Jewish refugees from the former Soviet states who arrived between the late 70s and 90s. While the younger generation, like myself, has assimilated fairly well, they have moved away for the most part. Left behind are older unassimilated folk who can be fairly rude and still stuck with a Soviet era mindset. The area is fairly dirty, and north of Brighton Beach Ave is a bit rundown. I reside in nearby Sheepshead Bay which is more diverse, and has a slightly younger crowd, while still being heavily Russian-speaking. I would recommend it, especially if you move close to the bay. You won't be far from the Brighton boardwalk either, and the neighborhood will be more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 11:57 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,905 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
Most of the other neighborhoods mentioned are better than Brighton Beach. Sunnyside, Astoria, Forest Hills, Rego park, and Bay Ridge are all decent neighborhoods, although Astoria and Bay Ridge are getting pricey.

Brighton is mostly a Russian-speaking enclave of Jewish refugees from the former Soviet states who arrived between the late 70s and 90s. While the younger generation, like myself, has assimilated fairly well, they have moved away for the most part. Left behind are older unassimilated folk who can be fairly rude and still stuck with a Soviet era mindset. The area is fairly dirty, and north of Brighton Beach Ave is a bit rundown. I reside in nearby Sheepshead Bay which is more diverse, and has a slightly younger crowd, while still being heavily Russian-speaking. I would recommend it, especially if you move close to the bay. You won't be far from the Brighton boardwalk either, and the neighborhood will be more enjoyable.

This seems to be a strong recommendation on a lot of threads and I have looked at some apartments in the area. Does the express B stop in Sheepshead bay? I ask because when I checked commute times from Sheepshead bay they were longer than BB because it was showing the B did not stop at the stations in the area. This could have just been a glitch on google's part though because I thought I saw on the apartment map that the B did stop there. I should look at the MTA's schedule actually. How is the bay? Is it an area that is accessible, like is there a park or recreational area around it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
260 posts, read 310,289 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly45 View Post
This seems to be a strong recommendation on a lot of threads and I have looked at some apartments in the area. Does the express B stop in Sheepshead bay? I ask because when I checked commute times from Sheepshead bay they were longer than BB because it was showing the B did not stop at the stations in the area. This could have just been a glitch on google's part though because I thought I saw on the apartment map that the B did stop there. I should look at the MTA's schedule actually. How is the bay? Is it an area that is accessible, like is there a park or recreational area around it?
The B does stop at Sheepshead Bay Rd station, so it's probably a glitch. It should be quicker than Brighton.

The Bay is very nice, with just a path around it. Plenty of people walk there on weekends and there are dogs out as well. There isn't much of a park, just some benches. There is a dog run a few blocks away in Manhattan Beach though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 01:51 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,905 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
The B does stop at Sheepshead Bay Rd station, so it's probably a glitch. It should be quicker than Brighton.

The Bay is very nice, with just a path around it. Plenty of people walk there on weekends and there are dogs out as well. There isn't much of a park, just some benches. There is a dog run a few blocks away in Manhattan Beach though.


Thanks for this info, I'm glad to hear it is a glitch! That sounds nice. We lived in Minneapolis and they have lots of similar areas that we really loved. My dilemma is that we may not be able to go out to check out areas for very long, if at all, before we move. Still trying to figure out my husband's work situation. Do you find that rents are much cheaper if you move in around november? Might have to sublet untill then from a friend while my husband stays behind if he cant find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 07:31 AM
 
4,858 posts, read 4,767,048 times
Reputation: 5606
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly45 View Post
Thanks for this info, I'm glad to hear it is a glitch! That sounds nice. We lived in Minneapolis and they have lots of similar areas that we really loved. My dilemma is that we may not be able to go out to check out areas for very long, if at all, before we move. Still trying to figure out my husband's work situation. Do you find that rents are much cheaper if you move in around november? Might have to sublet untill then from a friend while my husband stays behind if he cant find a job.

I would take Sunset off because there's not as much nice outdoor space.

If you want to be away from the main avenues, you can find a place near Shore Road in Bay Ridge. You have the entire promenade to walk/jog/whatever on along the water. It's completely continuous for about 4.5 miles so I've biked/walked the entire way plenty of times. There is also a newly renovated dog park at Owl's Head Park. I don't know if you're bringing a car (there are some zip car things around if you don't) but it's very accessible to the highways/parkways so you can just pick-up and drive elsewhere to go outdoors---upstate for hiking, to the beach, etc. Even if you don't live on Shore Road, you are only a 10-15 minute walk away from it.

I don't find rents vary by season much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: New York City
39 posts, read 69,814 times
Reputation: 11
Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay are both near each other. However I would say Sheepshead Bay is a better choice due being far away from the elevated subway tracks and much quiter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top