U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2015, 11:02 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,708,853 times
Reputation: 9782

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Stay off of Lexington, and the wagner/taino towers vicinity at night, and you'll be okay. don't even get a sandwich from the store around there. at night from 115th to 117th there are a multitude of cops near the train so you'll be alright.
Lexington is perfectly fine, at all hours of the day. Wagner Houses and Taft Houses are housing projects; they're fine during the day and I doubt he's going to be randomly hanging out at 3 AM at Wagner/Taft. Non-gang members (or young men not perceived to be gang members) aren't going to get hassled anyways. Taino Towers are just apartment buildings and are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2015, 11:59 PM
 
4,178 posts, read 3,481,002 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Lexington is perfectly fine, at all hours of the day. Wagner Houses and Taft Houses are housing projects; they're fine during the day and I doubt he's going to be randomly hanging out at 3 AM at Wagner/Taft. Non-gang members (or young men not perceived to be gang members) aren't going to get hassled anyways. Taino Towers are just apartment buildings and are fine.
you are inaccurately mistaken. Lexington avenue from 103rd street on up to the bridge, during the day and night, is a hot stretch of open-air, drug peddling, addict, debauchery. that's why its heavily patrolled. drugs have plagued east harlem for years, which is one of the reasons development has slowed in east harlem. no one wants to purchase property in a neighborhood, that doesn't have the greatest quality of life. taino towers, while not NYCHA, are just as bad, if not worse than NYCHA because they suffer from the same problems as the housing authority. taino is low-income housing. what if someone wants to make a run through the projects at 3AM for whatever reason? they can inadvertently get into something that they can't get out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,219 posts, read 26,555,603 times
Reputation: 9063
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are lots of good, cheap restaurants along the avenues in East Harlem. Obviously tons of Latin restaurants (mostly Mexican, Dominican or Puerto Rican) and lots of cheaper hipster-type restaurants, esp. on 3rd and Lex.

Patsys was always just a pizzeria. It's called Patsy's Pizza. You might be conflating it with Patsy's in Midtown, which is an upscale Italian restaurant famous for being the hangout of Sinatra and the Brat Pack. The two places aren't related.

No, Not really.
Here's Patsy's Pizzaria's (First Avenue at 118th) website. If you click MENU and more it will open up a delectable sounding Italian menu at very reasonable prices.

We've never gone up at night. During midday though the restaurant part seems almost closed or closed.
Menu

Can any locals verify whether Patsy's (East Harlem) is still a full service Italian restaurant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 11:29 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,708,853 times
Reputation: 9782
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
you are inaccurately mistaken. Lexington avenue from 103rd street on up to the bridge, during the day and night, is a hot stretch of open-air, drug peddling, addict, debauchery. that's why its heavily patrolled.
LOL, no, you are absolutely, unequivocly, full of crap.

Are you posting from 1977 or something? I lived off Lex/108 back in 2002-04 as a grad student, and I'm a skinny, little white guy, and it was fine back then. The neighborhood was totally safe. And that's before the area got gentrified with tons of white hipsters.

I'm sure there are drugs in the neighborhood, but there are drugs in all neighborhoods. I personally know a drug courier in the Village, and the Village is about the most expensive urban neighborhood on earth. In two years living along Lex, not once did I see any evidence of drug activity, nor was there an unusual police presence. The neighborhood is actually fairly quiet at night, except for some bodegas, and some Mexican and hipster/yuppie restaurants.

There are $2 millon townhouses and $1 million condos in the neighborhood. There are fancy restaurants with tasting menus. Back when I lived there, none of this stuff was there, and even then, it was safe. The only crimes you heard about happened in the projects, between crews of young black men unfortunately caught up in foolishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 11:34 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,708,853 times
Reputation: 9782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No, Not really.
Here's Patsy's Pizzaria's (First Avenue at 118th) website. If you click MENU and more it will open up a delectable sounding Italian menu at very reasonable prices.

We've never gone up at night. During midday though the restaurant part seems almost closed or closed.
Menu

Can any locals verify whether Patsy's (East Harlem) is still a full service Italian restaurant?
I don't know what you're talking about, and I never claimed that Patsys Pizzeria only served pizza.

If you are familiar with NYC, you would know that 99.9% of pizzerias serve food besides pizza. Patsys is no different, but it is still a pizzeria, not a regular Italian restaurant.

Your question was "is Patsys still a full service Italian restaurant" which is incorrect. Patsys was NEVER a "full service Italian restaurant". You are confusing it with Patsys in Midtown, which is very famous and indeed a full service restaurant, not a pizzeria. But the two establishments have nothing to do with one another.

And Patsys is open all day, just like any other pizzeria. It is never closed for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 12:14 PM
 
138 posts, read 151,170 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
by the way, I am also curious for any things people DO recommend around. Like restaurants etc.

Stuff besides hispanic food, which is so plentiful I can find it myself lol
La Tropezienne Bakery on 1st Ave btwn 109/110 is good for French pastries and bread. (I don't like their sandwiches.) Ditto Savoy Bakery on 100th btwn Lex and 3rd. I just noticed today that there's a coffee roaster / cafe opening up on 110th btwn Park and Lex, so that's promising. People seem to like La Corsa on that same block for pasta and pizza.

There are a few vendors in the La Marqueta space under the overpass at 116th and Park. I always root for this space, but it's a always a bit disappointing and can't seem to retain tenants.

As you move west toward Frederick Douglass Blvd. you're going to find more hipster / yuppie establishments. I'm a particular fan of the butcher Harlem Shambles at 115th and Frederick Douglass. Some prepared foods, but mainly just really high quality meats.

There might be something closer to you, but there's also a pretty decent / not disgusting grocery store at 110th and Madison. Can't remember the name--Fresh something.

New Ivoire on 119th at Park is good for Senegalese food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 12:32 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,856,981 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
LOL, no, you are absolutely, unequivocly, full of crap.
Speaking of such.

First: Patsy's Pizzeria, in spite of its name, has always been and remains a full-service Italian restaurant. Unless this changed in the last month.

Second: In the last ten days, there were more than half a dozen shootings in the area under discussion. The latest was two days ago in the early afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 03:00 PM
 
339 posts, read 558,413 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by versicle View Post
La Tropezienne Bakery on 1st Ave btwn 109/110 is good for French pastries and bread. (I don't like their sandwiches.) Ditto Savoy Bakery on 100th btwn Lex and 3rd. I just noticed today that there's a coffee roaster / cafe opening up on 110th btwn Park and Lex, so that's promising. People seem to like La Corsa on that same block for pasta and pizza.
...

There might be something closer to you, but there's also a pretty decent / not disgusting grocery store at 110th and Madison. Can't remember the name--Fresh something.
NYC Fresh on Madison between 110 & 111. They are GREAT, very clean, excellent prices (comparable to Trader Joe's on many items) and they have a decent selection. (Excellent craft beer stock but that's where they make their profit--*very* expensive.)

Hadn't heard about the coffee place on 110, will have to check that out. La Corsa is great but the service is s o o o o o o s l o o o o o o o w. I've waited literally 20 minutes for food sometimes (and not when there's a crowd, either). Also their markup on craft beers is ridiculous--$8 for a Dale's Pale Ale? In East Harlem?!

There's also D'Amore wine bar on 116 between Park & Lex. Beautiful interior, truly excellent personalized service--I love that place. I've been meaning to try them for brunch as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,219 posts, read 26,555,603 times
Reputation: 9063
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't know what you're talking about, and I never claimed that Patsys Pizzeria only served pizza.

If you are familiar with NYC, you would know that 99.9% of pizzerias serve food besides pizza. Patsys is no different, but it is still a pizzeria, not a regular Italian restaurant.

Your question was "is Patsys still a full service Italian restaurant" which is incorrect. Patsys was NEVER a "full service Italian restaurant". You are confusing it with Patsys in Midtown, which is very famous and indeed a full service restaurant, not a pizzeria. But the two establishments have nothing to do with one another.

And Patsys is open all day, just like any other pizzeria. It is never closed for lunch.
So then some OTHER NOLA101 posted this?

Quote:
Patsys was always just a pizzeria. It's called Patsy's Pizza. You might be
conflating it with Patsy's in Midtown, which is an upscale Italian restaurant
Did you check Patsy's Pizza's menu?
When I say full service Italian restaurant, I am asking whether there is waiter service to tables and an extensive menu of typical Italian dishes. I am not asking is it an overpriced, glamorous, tourist trap.

So again, has anyone been to Patsy's in East Harlem lately and would I likely be able to get what I am looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 06:22 PM
 
23,292 posts, read 16,158,381 times
Reputation: 8571
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Stay off of Lexington, and the wagner/taino towers vicinity at night, and you'll be okay. don't even get a sandwich from the store around there. at night from 115th to 117th there are a multitude of cops near the train so you'll be alright.
The area is not that bad. Ordering a sandwich from a deli at night is perfectly safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top