U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 05:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 17,594,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Speaking of such.

First: Patsy's Pizzeria, in spite of its name, has always been and remains a full-service Italian restaurant. Unless this changed in the last month.

Second: In the last ten days, there were more than half a dozen shootings in the area under discussion. The latest was two days ago in the early afternoon.
Which likely is of no concern to the OP, as those shootings were between gangsters (who were likely project residents). The OP isn't going to hang out in the streets with thugs.

For him the area should be reasonable safe. I wouldn't recommend walking through the projects, but all he is going to do is basically sleep there and during the day whenever he (or she) is home he may go out and do various errands or local shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:01 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,219,222 times
The early afternoon shooting was a robbery, someone approached on the street.

Just before that, a bus (with passengers) was hit by bullets several times.

People need to read up on their 'hood a bit.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:37 PM

4,577 posts, read 4,027,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The early afternoon shooting was a robbery, someone approached on the street.

Just before that, a bus (with passengers) was hit by bullets several times.

People need to read up on their 'hood a bit.
the bus being sprayed with bullets was on Madison avenue, at the carver houses, near mount Sinai. middle of the afternoon. I didn't include that, because the OP specifically asked about the 118th street 3rd and lex area. listen, sometimes its best to let people see for themselves, and when what's said checks out, they'll hightail the heck out of the hood. the belief that east harlem is "completely safe" like posters are trying to make it seem is untrue. east harlem is plagued with a gang of social issues, that wont be fixed anytime soon, until they change the developmental climate of the hood.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
LOL, no, you are absolutely, unequivocly, full of crap.

Are you posting from 1977 or something? I lived off Lex/108 back in 2002-04 as a grad student, and I'm a skinny, little white guy, and it was fine back then. The neighborhood was totally safe. And that's before the area got gentrified with tons of white hipsters.

I'm sure there are drugs in the neighborhood, but there are drugs in all neighborhoods. I personally know a drug courier in the Village, and the Village is about the most expensive urban neighborhood on earth. In two years living along Lex, not once did I see any evidence of drug activity, nor was there an unusual police presence. The neighborhood is actually fairly quiet at night, except for some bodegas, and some Mexican and hipster/yuppie restaurants.

There are $2 millon townhouses and $1 million condos in the neighborhood. There are fancy restaurants with tasting menus. Back when I lived there, none of this stuff was there, and even then, it was safe. The only crimes you heard about happened in the projects, between crews of young black men unfortunately caught up in foolishness.
East Harlem is still a bad neighborhood. I don't care how you try to jazz it up. Lexington Avenue is debauchery lane. Take a trip to 115th/116th and Lex and look around. You'll see everything in my post personified. Again, if EH was so great, it would have gentrified right on par with Central, and West Harlem. It didn't. People are now waiting for the Second Avenue Subway to see what it's gonna do.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 PM

patsys in east harlem has both a restaurant side, and a strictly take out point of entry/exit

Old 05-22-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
the bus being sprayed with bullets was on Madison avenue, at the carver houses, near mount Sinai. middle of the afternoon. I didn't include that, because the OP specifically asked about the 118th street 3rd and lex area. listen, sometimes its best to let people see for themselves, and when what's said checks out, they'll hightail the heck out of the hood. the belief that east harlem is "completely safe" like posters are trying to make it seem is untrue. east harlem is plagued with a gang of social issues, that wont be fixed anytime soon, until they change the developmental climate of the hood.
Which was my point as well.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:33 AM

21,475 posts, read 28,357,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
patsys in east harlem has both a restaurant side, and a strictly take out point of entry/exit
Quote:

Posted by Harlem resident

Speaking of such.

First: Patsy's
Pizzeria, in spite of its name, has always been and remains a full-service
Italian restaurant. Unless this changed in the last month.

Thank you HUIH and Harlem Resident.

And the sit-down restaurant half is still serving meals as far as you know?
(At lunchtime last month it looked desolate, only the pizza half seemed operational, perhaps we were a little too early. An afternoon linner after shopping ALDI's/Costco would be nice.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-23-2015 at 06:55 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

(At lunchtime last month it looked desolate, only the pizza half seemed operational, perhaps we were a little too early. An afternoon linner after shopping ALDI's/Costco would be nice.)
Still serving meals as far as I know, although we have not been in a while.
I liked the food.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

yea its still serving food, or it woulda been squared off. they come alive at night. patsys is a east harlem institution, along with rao's

Old 05-23-2015, 07:17 PM

480 posts, read 799,661 times
Don't know how to say this, but in that area, it ain't always the kids. Just be careful at night. See if there is a bus that would drop you off closer to your front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or