Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:50 AM

103 posts, read 162,311 times

Advertisements

At lease signing, first and last month's rent and security deposit were due. If the lease ends July 1, could you technically sign a lease elsewhere sometime in June (June 1st for example) and move out on June 1st?

You'd essentially be wasting the rent you already prepaid for, but would this affect anything in terms of getting back a Security deposit from the building management etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
As long as you leave the apt clean and in good condition you should receive you security despot back. Your old landlord will probably think your a great tenant as your paid your last month rent and left early.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM

who pays to repaint the apartment? the walls definitely need a repainting

Old 05-20-2015, 12:05 PM

402 posts, read 518,694 times
I was in this position and received my security deposit back in a timely manner. I moved out two months before the end of my lease and my landlord loved me for it.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I was in a similar situation and received my security deposit back, minus $40 for a high heat bill from the winter months. Now my landlord took a while to get it back to me, but that would've happened whether I stayed until the end of the lease or not (I signed 3 different leases over three years with the same landlord). I cannot see how any landlord could penalize you for that, and definitely not by refusing to return security deposit. A security deposit is meant to safeguard the landlord against damages to the apartment, unpaid rent, etc., not to make the tenant remain in the apartment until the end of the lease despite paying for the least. The only way I could see things turn out otherwise is if you (as the tenant) agreed to be in the apartment until the end of your lease as you had to physically (just making this up) turn down the thermostat to a certain temperature or else the pipes would be damaged . . . and even then I'm not sure that would be enforceable. Still, make sure that you document the condition of the property when you depart so that you don't receive any bogus charges from the landlord.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:39 PM

Thanks ^

so in the case of a luxury type building with a doorman etc, who pays to repaint the apartment?

Old 05-20-2015, 03:42 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
Thanks ^

so in the case of a luxury type building with a doorman etc, who pays to repaint the apartment?
Are the walls - the paint on them - in the same condition (relatively) as they were when you moved in? If so, painting the walls isn't something you should be held responsible for - unless and only if it's in your lease that you are responsible for painting upon vacating.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 PM

For the most part, yes. Some spots here and there

Old 05-20-2015, 08:51 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
If you painted it a different color then when you rented it you might have to paint back to that original color. If you dont then that could be taken out of security deposit.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
If you painted it a different color then when you rented it you might have to paint back to that original color. If you dont then that could be taken out of security deposit.
we didnt change the color but there are marks from where the back of the couch is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: