U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,512,851 times

Advertisements

Reading this thread title I thought this would be about how the homeless seem to love to "post-up" at McDonalds. It's like every McD's in this city has a homeless doorman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 12:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,815,250 times
Many moons ago I worked for Manpower in San Antonio, TX. The training manager there told me that every time she encountered a homeless person she would give them her card and ask them to contact her if they truly wanted work. She said in the 10 years she did this she handed out hundreds of cards and she never received one phone call. Food for thought.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 PM

202 posts, read 169,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Many moons ago I worked for Manpower in San Antonio, TX. The training manager there told me that every time she encountered a homeless person she would give them her card and ask them to contact her if they truly wanted work. She said in the 10 years she did this she handed out hundreds of cards and she never received one phone call. Food for thought.
Yeah, but unless I'm mistaken, isn't Manpower a company that hires homeless men for sex services?

Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 PM

147 posts, read 135,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Well yea.. its Manpower, In my years of career searches with many different recruiting companies, I only once reach out by one recruiter from manpower, and let me tell you this. They represent fly by night shops!!! but of course I work in the technology sector, so not sure how it is for other sectors.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:19 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,862,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
Banana girl lol! That's nice of her.

One thing that gets me though, is that I'm very charltable in general, to people of all races, but because of my politics I'm often accused of being a racist.

It just goes to show, however, that even supposed racists have a heart and will help people in need.

I can tell you why you are accused of being racist. Read your first post, you specifically said Black Guy, you did not say homeless man/woman/person.
If you had not specified the man's race you would not be accused of being racists.

Is this thread really about charity or the fact that you can now come on a public forum and "boast" about being charitable.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
Yeah, but unless I'm mistaken, isn't Manpower a company that hires homeless men for sex services?
This was in the mid 90's, and I don't follow Manpower. However, I have no idea what the he double hockey sticks you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy00 View Post
Well yea.. its Manpower, In my years of career searches with many different recruiting companies, I only once reach out by one recruiter from manpower, and let me tell you this. They represent fly by night shops!!! but of course I work in the technology sector, so not sure how it is for other sectors.
I doubt many homeless people are hoping for a career in IT, and I'm not sure how this is significant. She was willing to help them find a job, any job, and they weren't interested.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:25 PM

10,328 posts, read 12,430,418 times
I have a few times though not at McDonalds but a Pizza place, Dunkin donuts, 7-11. Though my last one was at Dunkin donuts where I bought a big sandwich and coffee for a man who was literally in rags. He freaked out, yelled at me and ran off. I posted about this in the past. I saw him this morning actually drinking a small bottle of vodka in front of a store. Still in rags practically and mumbling to himself. Sad to see. I wonder who he is, If he has family looking for him etc.

And thinking about this more, I realized that situation was a while ago. Maybe time for another try at the next opportunity for a person in need.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 PM

161 posts, read 129,008 times
Do you only buy cheeseburgers for homeless black guys? Or do homeless white guys get cheeseburgers too?

Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Our daughter lives in NYC and routinely leaves bananas around town for the hungry. I think some people have dubbed her the banana girl or something. I believe in random acts of kindness and paying it forward, so I'm always happy to hear about people helping others. Good job.
Wow! That's nice of her. Are all the hungry people she leaves out bananas for Black guys? You know I heard a racist joke about black people and bananas.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I can tell you why you are accused of being racist. Read your first post, you specifically said Black Guy, you did not say homeless man/woman/person.
If you had not specified the man's race you would not be accused of being racists.

Is this thread really about charity or the fact that you can now come on a public forum and "boast" about being charitable.
She feels proud of herself for buying black guys cheeseburgers. I don't see how that's racist. I mean if she bought them Mcchicken sandwiches instead I could see how people would think she's racist. Get it. Black people and chicken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or