U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,177,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
That monster! Are we I supposed to take out a membership to pitch forks and torches now? The villagers have spoken.

As if proximity serves as an excuse for being a meat head and condoning the use of violence over using our brains and the exchange of words.

Fortunately, I know if I look around and there is no price listed to slap down a $5 bill and tell him to keep the change as I walk away from that joker with my hotdog and pretzels.
Are you the Hot Dog Mans Wife? You sure are going outta your way to go to bat for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 05:31 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,516,740 times
Quote:
I feel bad for him to get this kind of intense media attention without any real background or cultural perspective.

I can guess with high likelihood where he's from and know that he comes by this kind of hawker practice honestly, because it's rampant where he's from.

In their culture they're used to the art of bargaining. Most everything is negotiable and it's an art forum that they relish. When their merchants give out a ridiculously high price for a good that they're selling they expect the customers to laugh in their face and then counter with a ridiculously low price.

I learned that I come from a culture where the prices of everything are set for me and I don't really question it. After I became the wiser to what was going on I learned to negotiate for myself and found there is a valuable lesson in resourcefulness to be learned.

I became more conscious of the true value of every thing and began to take nothing for granted. Back home I started questioning the set prices in everything and negotiated more often in cases where you wouldn't think you could negotiate for certain things like the price of a MRI/CT scan/X-ray, or the monthly rate of my internet service. I found out more often than not that I could stretch my money further and get more for it than before.
Nope not a cultural thing, the guy is just an a**hat

Old 05-22-2015, 05:32 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,516,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Only liberals would make a fuss over free market business. Meanwhile Chipotles is upping their prices and shrinking their portions every quarter and I don't see any complaints about that.
lol, why are you assuming everyone is liberal, anyway this isn't about that...

Chipotle is expensive for what it is, hence why I don't go regularly eat from there but at least the prices are in range for tasty satisfying meal. $30 for a crappy preserved "meat" cylinder and a crappy high fructose corn syrup soda is ridiculous.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 AM

516 posts, read 650,476 times
UPDATE!

NYC "Rip-Off" Hot Dog Vendor Fired After I-Team Report Exposes Outrageous Pricing | NBC New York

"I'm very grateful for this type of reporting" LMAO! Old lady cracked me up. Now time for the I-team for go catch some bigger fish.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM

499 posts, read 368,246 times
Quote:
That monster! Are we I supposed to take out a membership to pitch forks and torches now? The villagers have spoken.

As if proximity serves as an excuse for being a meat head and condoning the use of violence over using our brains and the exchange of words.

Fortunately, I know if I look around and there is no price listed to slap down a $5 bill and tell him to keep the change as I walk away from that joker with my hotdog and pretzels.
someone once told me, "Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them"... so true.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:00 PM

1,230 posts, read 966,434 times
Quote:
His name is Ahmed Mohammed. He's likely a Muslim though it doesn't say. You know how that will be seen. 'Persecute the Muslim at the 9/11 Memorial' day. What do they want? To promote a sacrifice there?

Honestly, ask yourselves why is it important to mention the 9/11 memorial in this news piece?

He could be a hot dog vendor serving tourists anywhere in the city without that bit of information and the context of the story would still be relevant.

Is it important to the story you know exactly where he is?

Comments in this thread are already making me worried about his safety. Such as making him drink hotdog water which has got to be boiling hot, and turning over his hot dog cart on him which is very heavy.
Yes, so we know where NOT to buy a hotdog (I haven't been back home in almost 25 years and even I know that)

@jkub101: haha I laughed too, she sounded like it was an extremely critical matter and she's glad the reporting solved the issue

Old 05-22-2015, 03:23 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,558,000 times
30$ for a basic packaged hotdog. Probably straight from the Sabereth, Oscar Meyer or Hebrew brand packages.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:10 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,836,615 times
People who eat hot dogs deserve what they get.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:22 AM

20,166 posts, read 26,469,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
People who eat hot dogs deserve what they get.
Same for the slop called CHIPOTLE.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:02 PM

30,511 posts, read 9,123,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I feel the man can make his hot dogs and pretzels cost what ever he wants.
I am the one that makes the final decision.
OK, your charging 30 dollars for a hot dog, guess what, I am not buying one.

no one is putting a gun to my head, I have the power, i have th final say, and i say no to a 30 dollar hot dog.

If there are no process in sight, you simply ask before you purchase, cant be an easier than that.

Not only all of that (), but since when must products be sold only for what they're worth?

This guy's business is pretty brisk. If he didn't have enough customers to sustain it, he'd lower his prices. That's what free market is all about. I don't eat hotdogs, but I wouldn't buy overpriced sides (fries, let's say). That's my choice, and everyone else is free to exercise theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City