Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:51 PM

10 posts, read 9,181 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I recently moved into an apartment on may 1 in queens. The rent was originally 1750 but we negotiated it down to 1700. The lease is in her name only because we wanted to avoid paying another $100 app fee for me + hard pull on credit. We get a rude call from the landlord stating that there is someone else living in the apt and that they are not on the lease. He wants to evict or run an app on me for $100 plus the rent would be $1750 instead of the negotiated 1700.

First month's + security + broker fee has been paid prior to may 1 move in date. Every time the apt was seen it was my wife and I along with the broker/agent.

Do I have any rights here? Or will I have to spend $100 on app and deal with rent increase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 09:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I believe your wife as the primary tenant has the right to live with you being there as a family member. Check metropolitan council fact sheet. Read the whole thing until you get to the part that applies to you.

Your Right To Have A Roommate | Metropolitan Council on Housing

Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 PM

looks like this is it:

Immediate family members of the primary tenant who live in the apartment but are not on the lease are not considered roommates. All tenants have a right to live with family members so long as their apartment does not become overcrowded.

If that is the case, then what do i say to the landlord or broker? That under NY Law I am allowed to not be on the lease and live in the apt?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeset View Post
looks like this is it:

Immediate family members of the primary tenant who live in the apartment but are not on the lease are not considered roommates. All tenants have a right to live with family members so long as their apartment does not become overcrowded.

If that is the case, then what do i say to the landlord or broker? That under NY Law I am allowed to not be on the lease and live in the apt?
I don't really know, but maybe you should print that info out (also find the same info on some other sites; I am sure it exists) and give it to the LL in writing.

But -- since this sounds like a market rate apartment (not rent stabilized), you are probably sealing your fate that you won't be granted another lease for the following year if you choose to fight this.

I don't understand why the LL is being like this. It's perfectly reasonable to have two people live in a one bedroom, and even in a studio. Does he think you were trying to put one past him by not signing the lease in the first place and he's just pissed off?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't really know, but maybe you should print that info out (also find the same info on some other sites; I am sure it exists) and give it to the LL in writing.

But -- since this sounds like a market rate apartment (not rent stabilized), you are probably sealing your fate that you won't be granted another lease for the following year if you choose to fight this.

I don't understand why the LL is being like this. It's perfectly reasonable to have two people live in a one bedroom, and even in a studio. Does he think you were trying to put one past him by not signing the lease in the first place and he's just pissed off?
It is a market rate apt. No idea why he is being this way. I think he does feel 'slighted' thinking it was supposed to be for one person, hence the price break in rent. But I don't know why the broker who I paid 10% of the yearly rent to as a fee did not communicate this with him.

I read N.Y. RPP. LAW § 235-f : NY Code - Section 235-F: Unlawful restrictions on occupancy and the link you posted sums it up. It is completely legal for her and I to live together and me not be on the lease. It says immediate family, I'm assuming husband is immediate family...

Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 PM

457 posts, read 736,963 times
Why is he being so difficult?

What if you are dating? Don't you have a right to have your boyfriend/girlfriend move in? Geez the LL is being ridiculous over a few dollars.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:21 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Even in a studio apt. a married couple can live together assuming it is large enough legally even if only one spouse is on the lease. Definitely sounds like this landlord is being picky!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:10 AM

147 posts, read 197,777 times
OP, you should tell him nope.. that is not true, everyone who is living in that apt, are part of the immediate family. YOu must mistaken me for another tenant.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,685 times
New York Laws are so tough ---Try to research issue to find a loop hole

Thanks Marina Tylo

Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
You have met the typical landlord...an ass-hole.
He wants more money...they ALWAYS want more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: